Consuming my wine in public areas (not in a bar)

Navymom

If we want to bring our wine out of the room to have it in a public space (not a bar), can we do that without a cork fee? I know that may sound strange, but I read or heard a snippet somewhere that you would get charged. Everything is true on the internet right?

22 minutes ago, Navymom said:

If we want to bring our wine out of the room to have it in a public space (not a bar), can we do that without a cork fee? I know that may sound strange, but I read or heard a snippet somewhere that you would get charged. Everything is true on the internet right?

Where do you plan to drink it?  The hallway?

Here is the guideline: Does Royal Caribbean charge a corkage fee? | Royal Caribbean Cruises

In reality, I think it's unlikely that you would be charged a corkage fee anywhere other than a restaurant.  

However, it's pretty clear that the 'intent' of the rule is that you can either drink it in your room, for free, or if you drink it outside of your room, where Royal has staff selling drinks, royal only wants you drinking it if you paid the corkage fee.

There are obviously ways to 'sneak' around this, just like there are ways to smuggle a liter of Vodka onboard.

Ask your room attendant for wine glasses, pour your wine into said glasses, leave your room. 🤷‍♀️  
I’ve never seen anyone walk around with the bottle to refill the glass though.

We are forgoing the drink package on our next cruise so I plan (if I can find a convenient liquor store near our hotel) to bring 2 bottles of wine.  I’ll take a glass to dinner with me each night.

Ask your cabin attendant for a couple of glasses and you are good to go.  

Royal delivers several bottles of wine to me courtesy of the Crown and Anchor Society so I usually have glasses in my cabin when I board.  

When I bring wine I buy screw top bottles so no cork screw needed.  

If you bring the bottle with you to dinner then the MDR "could" impose the corkage fee but if you bring a full glass poured in your cabin they don't.  

9 hours ago, Pooch said:

Can I ask how much the corkage fee might be?  Debating just leaving the bottle with MDR staff.

Per the link in the post below it is $15

13 hours ago, karl_nj said:

Where do you plan to drink it?  The hallway?

Here is the guideline: Does Royal Caribbean charge a corkage fee? | Royal Caribbean Cruises

In reality, I think it's unlikely that you would be charged a corkage fee anywhere other than a restaurant.  

However, it's pretty clear that the 'intent' of the rule is that you can either drink it in your room, for free, or if you drink it outside of your room, where Royal has staff selling drinks, royal only wants you drinking it if you paid the corkage fee.

There are obviously ways to 'sneak' around this, just like there are ways to smuggle a liter of Vodka onboard.

19 hours ago, twangster said:

I always pack a cork screw, but if one forgets your cabin steward can usually find you one of those too.

19 hours ago, twangster said:

If you bring the bottle with you to dinner then the MDR "could" impose the corkage fee but if you bring a full glass poured in your cabin they don't.  

Basically, since they would assume that you just took in a glass of wine from one of the bars you were at before dinner.  Since you are allowed to walk around the ship with a drink.

1. Ask Steward for a corkscrew.

2. Get a glass of wine from any bar or restaurant.  Bring the glass back to the room.

3. Pour a glass of YOUR wine into the glass.  

4. Drink it anywhere your heart desires except for those areas not open to the public.  

5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 until bottle(s) are empty.

6. Buy more bottles on the ship.

7. Repeat steps 3 through 6.

15 hours ago, Riley said:

As someone who brings wine on board and also gets it via our C&A level, I have never been charged a  corkage fee when carrying a full  bottle into the MDR. 

It's been hit or miss with me, sometimes they do and sometimes they don't.

When they don't charge me, I bump up the extra end of cruise tip (since I'm usually on traditional dining, or if i'm on my time i request to keep the same wait staff every night anyway).  I guess if I was using 'my time' as intended and changing waiters/times, I'd figure out how tip some extra cash that night.

Like @Pooch I'm trying to figure out the best way to do without the DBP. I was thinking of bringing the wine and then making my own wine coolers by putting a couple of ounces in my soda cup. I'll have my Diamond drinks but based on the past they really won't cover it. I guess I could limit my drinks, but heck I'm there to enjoy myself. 

On 8/8/2022 at 10:24 AM, CruisingNewb said:

Repeat steps 3 and 4 until bottle(s) are empty.

6. Buy more bottles on the ship.

7. Repeat steps 3 through 6.

Be sure to wear a fitbit to count your steps. Got to get those 10,000 steps somehow on a cruise ship!😎

12 minutes ago, Pooch said:

So you can bring a bottle of wine to the MDR & they will bring it out for you each night?   I enjoy wine with dinner but otherwise don’t drink it.  It would be much easier to leave it there.

Varies by ship.  On some ships my CAS wines are sent to the MDR as opposed to my cabin.  Most ships deliver my CAS wines to my cabin.  Some ships won't keep my wine in the MDR.  It varies by ship.  

2 hours ago, CruisingNewb said:

According to my Apple watch and iPhone, I walked an average of 15,000 steps while on board and 25 floors of stairs.  My peak steps were while at port in Juneau for 24,000 steps.

Wow, looks like you really "stepped" out, good job!😎

15 minutes ago, rjac said:

Wow, looks like you really "stepped" out, good job!😎

My definition of vacation means relaxing and taking the fewest number of steps possible.  Cruising on a big ship is not entirely relaxing....BUT it was SOOO FUN! No regrets!

Bonus: I lost 15 pounds prior to our cruise knowing that I would gain about 8 pounds.  All of that walking helped me gain only 3 pounds back.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/7/2022 at 12:31 PM, twangster said:

Royal delivers several bottles of wine to me courtesy of the Crown and Anchor Society so I usually have glasses in my cabin when I board.  

Golly, I would love the Crown and Anchor Society to send me a couple bottles of wine!! I am a solo cruiser, so two bottles is fine and just made Diamond! They could spare it, right?? 😁

At various times we've brought 2 bottles of wine on board, our travel agent sent a bottle and we won a bottle in a drawing on board.  We asked for glasses, cork screw and ice to chill the wine. We walked around the ship at various times with the bottle and glasses in hand. We took a bottle to the dining room on numerous occasions and were never charged a fee. No one knows whether the wine came from the ship or not, they don't care.

@Poochand @mathbees - always bring my 2 bottles of wine from home in my checked luggage.  I usually put the wine bottles in thick socks and wrap clothing around it.  I never had a problem with the wine bottle breaking.  You can also purchase wine bottle protection bags (bubble wrap bags) on-line if you are worried about breakage.  I also bring a cheap bottle opener.  

I have brought my wine to the MDR, paid the corkage fee and left the partial bottle behind.  The waitstaff brought the bottle back out at the next dinner.  

As far as walking around and drinking wine = this is my go to... a plastic wine glass with a sippy lid.  No breakage. No spillage. Safe for the pool deck. 

Wine Tumbler - 10oz Insulated Vino Double Wall Acrylic With Merlot Red Drink Through Lid - Wine 2Go!