ArriveCAN form required?

9 minutes ago, ranchlady403 said:

Is ArriveCAN still required to leave the Adventure of the Seas in September?

We are sailing Sept 1st on Adventure.  Two of the ports are listed as Canada. 

Will we need the Arrive CAN forms completed in order to go on an excursion?

How far in advance should they be submitted?

Will they give us the forms on the ship - or do we fill them out before we board?

Just clarify….and to be honest, I haven’t researched any of this…. I just learned about it via this thread, and I’m on break at work. I guess I’m being lazy. 

Anyway, September/October cruises from Boston to the Maritimes and back to Boston will require ArriveCan?

2 hours ago, ranchlady403 said:

We are sailing Sept 1st on Adventure.  Two of the ports are listed as Canada. 

Will we need the Arrive CAN forms completed in order to go on an excursion?

How far in advance should they be submitted?

Will they give us the forms on the ship - or do we fill them out before we board?

You will need to fill out the ArriveCAN app regardless of wether you leave the ship or not. You will need to do it before boarding the ship.

The tourism boards in Canada are pushing the government to get rid of this useless requirement but as with all things government it will not happen quickly.

3 hours ago, twangster said:

I don't see Canada dropping the ArriveCAN app anytime soon.  They seem quite proud of it.  It may become a permanent thing for arrivals to Canada.  

We are doing an Alaska cruise in a couple of weeks.  I don't really want to go see Victoria again.  I wouldn't mind staying on the ship.  Would I still need to do the ArriveCan app if I don't plan on leaving the ship in Victoria??

32 minutes ago, Dad2Cue said:

We are doing an Alaska cruise in a couple of weeks.  I don't really want to go see Victoria again.  I wouldn't mind staying on the ship.  Would I still need to do the ArriveCan app if I don't plan on leaving the ship in Victoria??

Even if you don't get off the ship, technically you are still visiting the country.

25 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

What do they do if you don't do an ArriveCAN before boarding? It's not like they check at check-in, or at least they didn't for me.

I assume it gets tied to your passport/ID so they would know who hasn't completed it and flag those people. 

Being a Canadian and having to do it there are 2 parts. First is to create your account. Second is to enter your trip. Creating the account is the time consuming part. You can add all travellers to the same account. Can do this anytime, but it does require you to upload proof of vaccination, so it’s best to do this part immediately. 

Second part is creating your trip. This gets linked to your passport in step 1 above. At the end they give you a reference and QR code. In theory you shouldn’t have to show this, however this app is buggy so it would be recommended to screen cap it or print it just in case

1 hour ago, AshleyDillo said:

Even if you don't get off the ship, technically you are still visiting the country.

I assume it gets tied to your passport/ID so they would know who hasn't completed it and flag those people. 

Canadian gov't would have to do the flagging. RC wouldn't/shouldn't have access to that data.

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Canadian gov't would have to do the flagging. RC wouldn't/shouldn't have access to that data.

True. I guess Royal would be submitting the passenger manifest and deal with anyone that the Canadian government came back as not having completed it.

17 hours ago, Dad2Cue said:

When I boarded in Seattle they were checking everyone for ArriveCAN.  Guests who didn't have were directed to an area outside to get it done.  

It was the ArriveCAN checking that threw a wrench in the boarding process and slowed everyone down.  The queues were long and folks didn't have proof of ArriveCAN out so they had to fumble to find their phone, then launch the app, then show the app, etc.  Repeated 4,000 times it slows everyone down when most folks didn't have it ready to show and some percentage didn't have it all and then asked 1,000 questions instead of getting out of the line and getting it done.  "What is ArriveCAN?  No one told me.  How do I do it?  What's an app?  I didn't think that applied to me, I'm American.  Do my kids need it too?  What about Grandma? She isn't getting off the ship. "  Get out of the way.  I have mine done and ready to show, but no, they stand there asking 25 more questions.  That is what made the boarding lines move so slowly.  

Not getting off in Victoria is irrelevant.  The ship has entered Canada by the time it has sailed into the harbor.  If you were not processed by Canada immigration you would be in violation of the PVSA.  Staying on the ship doesn't matter, you are in Canada while you are on the ship in Victoria.  

56 minutes ago, fireclan said:

Does RC inform their cruisers to Canada that ArriveCan is required? If so, at what point - booking? check-in?

Yes in multiple ways but a lot of people can't read, or choose not to.  

It was new in 2022 so the first several weeks of the cruise season were very painful.  

1 hour ago, fireclan said:

Does RC inform their cruisers to Canada that ArriveCan is required? If so, at what point - booking? check-in?

I just checked into my Alaska cruise that departs in 3 weeks.  There was no mention of ArriveCan during the check-in questionnaire.  It could have been in the fine print somewhere but I didn't see it.  Royal said check-in was complete via email.

What ever happened to allowing Alaska cruises that skip Canada??

Nothing against Canada ... I will do the ArriveCan thing if they want me to.  Sounds like it might take awhile so maybe I will start it today.

21 minutes ago, Dad2Cue said:

I just checked into my Alaska cruise that departs in 3 weeks.  There was not mention of ArriveCan during the check-in questionnaire.  It could have been in the fine print somewhere but I didn't see it.  Royal said check-in was complete via email.

It can only be competed close to the sailing date so the notification comes separate.  Promoting it during check would just confuse people when it can't be completed 30 days out.

2 hours ago, fireclan said:

We leave in 3 weeks and have heard NOTHING!!! 

Only discovered the ArriveCAN problem when we saw it on the blog!

Somebody from the Cruise Line needs to get the word out.....

I received an email from Royal (partial screenshot follows) 5 days before my sailing.

It's really not a huge project - just download the app. You can start filling it out, but can't finalize until I believe 3 days or 72 hours before your sailing. Just completed almost the exact same thing for entry into Spain for our trip to Barcelona & Wonder later this week.

image.thumb.jpeg.97f226baa17071b4620f97bcc25d3ff4.jpeg

Thanks for posting info about this. I was kinda clueless about the need for ArriveCAN for our Alaska cruise in Sept and since we are departing out of Vancouver, we will need to complete this for our flights anyway.  I have now shared it with our travel companions as well to make sure we are all prepared for it. 

Great news!  Canada being the nice folks that they are, is now allowing a one time exemption for arriving travelers who don't have ArriveCAN completed.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/cbsa-allowing-one-time-exemption-for-travellers-who-forget-to-use-arrivecan-at-land-border-1.6026194

For Canadians once you use your one time exemption for "forgetting" to use ArriveCAN the next occurrence carries a $5,000 fine.

For foreign nationals once you use your one time exemption for "forgetting" to use ArriveCAN you are denied entry to Canada.

So being careful "forgetting" to complete ArriveCAN.  

14 minutes ago, twangster said:

Great news!  Canada being the nice folks that they are, is now allowing a one time exemption for arriving travelers who don't have ArriveCAN completed.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/cbsa-allowing-one-time-exemption-for-travellers-who-forget-to-use-arrivecan-at-land-border-1.6026194

For Canadians once you use your one time exemption for "forgetting" to use ArriveCAN the next occurrence carries a $5,000 fine.

For foreign nationals once you use your one time exemption for "forgetting" to use ArriveCAN you are denied entry to Canada.

What's dumber than ArriveCAN? Allowing a mulligan for ArriveCAN instead of just getting rid of the program completely

1 hour ago, twangster said:

What if I created my ArriveCan account already but I forget to do the part about the planned travel.  Can I still get the ignorance waiver?

• 1 month later...

At risk of being banned from Canada in the future, we'll be completely the form. However, I keep running into an issue. We're doing the southbound sailing from Seward to Vancouver, with Vancouver our only stop in Canada.  I've selected "Yes" to "Is your cruise terminating in Canada?" since we disembark in Vancouver. The app wants us to enter a Canadian address where we will be staying post-cruise, except we are returning to the US later that day. I can't complete the form without entering an address. But if I select "No" to the cruise terminating in Canada then I don't have to enter an address. So... do I answer truthfully and type in a 'random' Canadian address (was thinking of the airport or port terminal address), or answer 'No'?
Or does someone have a better solution??
I tried calling the help line but I've been disconnected twice and have been on hold for 30min+ now

11 minutes ago, KJones said:

At risk of being banned from Canada in the future, we'll be completely the form. However, I keep running into an issue. We're doing the southbound sailing from Seward to Vancouver, with Vancouver our only stop in Canada.  I've selected "Yes" to "Is your cruise terminating in Canada?" since we disembark in Vancouver. The app wants us to enter a Canadian address where we will be staying post-cruise, except we are returning to the US later that day. I can't complete the form without entering an address. But if I select "No" to the cruise terminating in Canada then I don't have to enter an address. So... do I answer truthfully and type in a 'random' Canadian address (was thinking of the airport or port terminal address), or answer 'No'?
I tried calling the help line but I've been disconnected twice and have been on hold for 30min+ now

If it were me, because things like this annoy me, I"d enter the airport address....

1 hour ago, KJones said:

Just put the port address, 999 Canada Place.