xSAILEDx Harmony of the Seas - May 6, 2023 - May 13, 2023 (7 Night Western Caribbean & Perfect Day)

Hi All, it was great to get checked in early today.  We will be there at 11AM sharp!.  Do any of you have experience getting from a hotel in Ft. Lauderdale to the Port of Miami? I was just thinking about grabbing an Uber but is one of the Port Services better?

We have sailed on several Norwegian Cruise Line Cruises in the past but this will be the firt RCCL

9 hours ago, sc978303 said:

Hi All, it was great to get checked in early today.  We will be there at 11AM sharp!.  Do any of you have experience getting from a hotel in Ft. Lauderdale to the Port of Miami? I was just thinking about grabbing an Uber but is one of the Port Services better?

We have sailed on several Norwegian Cruise Line Cruises in the past but this will be the firt RCCL

It depends on what hotel you're staying at. Some have a shuttle that will go to the port, but the problem with those is you are on their time table. Might be better to get an uber or a taxi.

We'll be staying at the Radisson RED hotel near the airport.

10 hours ago, sc978303 said:

If I was the one, I would take Lyft to the Brightline station, take the train to Miami Central, and then Lyft to the port 

1 hour ago, Jonesy said:

If I was the one, I would take Lyft to the Brightline station, take the train to Miami Central, and then Lyft to the port 

That would be way too much on/off on/off for me.  We are staying at the Holiday Inn Ft Lauderdale airport and will be picked up there by SAS Transportation (ridesas.com). We used them in October and were satisfied with the service.  $15pp each way.  We have a 10:30 arrival time & expect to be picked up about 9:30.    On the way back some of us might use Uber to be sure they get to FLL in time for a 12:20 flight.

Here is an interesting video that shows a small group using Brightline to get to Miami for their cruise  I did not know this, but with a premium ticket, a 5 mile Uber ride is included.  So that is enough to get you from Miami Central to the port.

I don't know about the rest of you, but the reviews I'm seeing about Royal and their recent changes are not good.  Looks like they are dumbing themselves down to Carnival's level which is a huge mistake.  Oh well. My next trip is probably going to be on the Rocky Mountaineer through Canada or a trip to Germany.  You can get some amazing deals on vacations in the Dominican Republic.  There are some great beachfront rentals available and airfare is reasonable.  I was going to do that but the pandemic derailed things.

I'm certainly keeping my eye out on this cruise to see how the changes affect me. I've said this in some of the YouTube videos: I understand why they are making changes, but we do not have to be happy or accept them if we don't feel the cost is worth it anymore. I have the inaugural Icon cruise booked, but yeah, will have to reconsider if things end up not being worth the cost anymore. Some people say they don't mind the changes, others say their vacation was damaged by the changes. Not going to go looking for things, but I'll definitely note anything that stands out to me, specifically, and take it into account for next time.

I do still think it's probably worth it, I mean, for around 2-3 grand, you get a week living on a moving resort, effectively. So far, I think the only change that bugs me is the menu in the MDR. If food quality overall is down, then yeah for me it starts to lose its luster (food is a BIG part of cruising), but I'm not bothered much by the other changes so far.

15 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

Given the issue, I would say to travel with a drivers license and birth certificate this time.  No time to get the passport fixed.

Yep, that's what I was going to suggest, too, especially if it's a minor misspelling. Either way, you /can/ cruise with birth certificate and driver's license even if you didn't have the passport.

3 hours ago, Lexster said:

I got my birth certificate back pretty quickly after I got my passport, but yeah I would see if you can get a certified replacement quick. I know in my birth state of Ohio, they have kiosks you can go and get a new certificate replaced the same day, so I'd look into that as well.

We are actually from Ohio as well so I will definitely look into that

1 hour ago, jordan meyers said:

Does anyone know if with the me having the deluxe drink package and my wife having the refreshment package she is only 20 I am 23. Can we go to specialty dining such as sabor or wonderland just for a drink or do you need to pay for food to do that?

Call Royal Caribbean or have your travel agent do it, for sure. I can't imagine they'd make her have the deluxe package if she's under 21.

As for Sabor and Wonderland, yep, they have separate bar areas. You can just go in and sit down and order drinks from the bar no problem!

57 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

I would call to get the drink packages set up.  Not sure about the dining.  They should be able to get you set up with the right packages based on age restrictions.

I think he is saying that they already have the packages set up.  As she is underage, she is not eligible for the DBP and the system would not let him purchase it for her even if he wanted to.

Since I can't stop watching videos and getting excited, where is the first place you're all getting a drink and what are you getting? I'm thinking of doing a Matt and getting a Lava Flow (probably virgin, though) at one of the pool bars. Really hoping for amazing weather. Our last cruise had miserable weather almost every day.

15 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

Totally a fan of the lava flow.  Not sure where to meet.  I need to check the map.  Can we add each other to the app?

I think you need the last name and room number of someone to add them to the chat app, but you can't do it beforehand.