Using VOOM For Proctored COVID Tests

DW and I are on the Allure OTS for the Feb 12 sailing. When the ship returns to Galveston on the 19th, we disembark and head down the way and board the Ruby Princess for another 7 day cruise. Which means (right now) we need to have a COVID test done while on the Allure. Currently plan is to take a couple (maybe 3 in case of problems) Binax Now proctored tests. We are buying the VOOM internet package, and plan on doing our tests using the computers in the internet cafe. Does anyone know if the internet is fast enough on the Allure to be able to do the online testing?

3 hours ago, Raxter54 said:

DW and I are on the Allure OTS for the Feb 12 sailing. When the ship returns to Galveston on the 19th, we disembark and head down the way and board the Ruby Princess for another 7 day cruise. Which means (right now) we need to have a COVID test done while on the Allure. Currently plan is to take a couple (maybe 3 in case of problems) Binax Now proctored tests. We are buying the VOOM internet package, and plan on doing our tests using the computers in the internet cafe. Does anyone know if the internet is fast enough on the Allure to be able to do the online testing?

Welcome to the boards!

I'm not sure the cafe computers have cameras. Perhaps someone currently/recently on Allure can comment. Otherwise people have been reporting success in using Voom to test.

3 hours ago, Raxter54 said:

My son used his cell phone in Europe.  It is easier than a laptop to adjust distance for the images the proctor will need.   I don't remember from Mariner whether the computers have cameras.  My son tested when the ship was closer to disembarkation port to get best connection.

There are no webCams on any of the PC's onboard that I have encountered.  I also used my IPhone using VOOM (Slower if you use basic VOOM instead of surf & Stream but still works). You can then use the Shipboard PC and printer to access your email to print a copy of the results if you are like me and want a hard copy in case you cannot get the original email to display when asked to show your results on the phone. It has happened to me at the airport in Copenhagen when I was unable to access their wifi and thus unable to show them proof of a negative result. 

Know that when leaving and returning to Galveston, there is a period of time (maybe around early morning on day 6 till after midnight that night) when you are almost or even out of connectivity for the internet.  Middle of the gulf is not well covered with satellite coverage.  This time period my cause connection drops, just be aware of it.

my 2 cents:

1- likely no testing will be required by then, so all of this is moot.

2- IF tests are still required, you could do your tests using your cellular data (and thus no possible ship wifi troubles) while in Mexico on Friday the 17th (2 days before your next departure...verify your cellular plan allows this without extra charges)