Newbie Embarkation Questions

Xaa

Before my questions, a big thanks to everyone on this board.  I've learned a tremendous amount.  

My last cruise was in 1999 and I have only a vague recollection of embarkation.  As I understand it from reading here, this is what I should expect.  please correct whatever I have wrong.

• About 45 days prior to sailing I'll be able to check in and I should do that attempting to get the earliest slot possible.
  • On Embarkation day we're going to be driving into Port of Miami.  I expect that I can park there and the walk from car to terminal is not far.  Is that right?  Are we talking 100 yards, half mile?  
  • Then going to the terminal will I see porters outside?  When I do, I give them my luggage (and tips of course) and they send it on toward the cruise.
    • Is there generally a line for porters?
    • In videos I've seen some really long lines outside the terminal.  Any idea what I'm seeing there?
  • Then, after porter, I enter the terminal and get in line for security.  There my carry on's will be x-rayed and someone will review our paperwork.
  • After that, we go to a holding area until we are called to board the ship.
  • Then we board and I should connect to wifi and book shows right away.
  • Complete the muster drill in the app and then go to the muster station.
  • Expect my room to be available in the 1:30 range
  • Expect to see my luggage late afternoon.

Am I on the right track?  The part about which I'm most fuzzy is approaching the terminal.  When I do, do I need to enter every line that might be formed or are there often lines forming for things I don't need?

Really appreciate the clarity and advice you can offer.

Bill

3 hours ago, Xaa said:

Before my questions, a big thanks to everyone on this board.  I've learned a tremendous amount.  

My last cruise was in 1999 and I have only a vague recollection of embarkation.  As I understand it from reading here, this is what I should expect.  please correct whatever I have wrong.

• About 45 days prior to sailing I'll be able to check in and I should do that attempting to get the earliest slot possible.
  • On Embarkation day we're going to be driving into Port of Miami.  I expect that I can park there and the walk from car to terminal is not far.  Is that right?  Are we talking 100 yards, half mile?  
  • Then going to the terminal will I see porters outside?  When I do, I give them my luggage (and tips of course) and they send it on toward the cruise.
    • In videos I've seen some really long lines outside the terminal.  Any idea what I'm seeing there?
  • Then, after porter, I enter the terminal and get in line for security.  There my carry on's will be x-rayed and someone will review our paperwork.

Am I on the right track?  The part about which I'm most fuzzy is approaching the terminal.  When I do, do I need to enter every line that might be formed or are there often lines forming for things I don't need?

Bill

You are essentially correct. 

With the appointments, you are likely to walk directly onto the ship without the waiting in the terminal after checking in. Have a printed copy of your paperwork (Set sail pass, Vax card, and Covid Test - if required) to make easier.  You get your room key onboard now.

There may be lines with different check in times at the terminal when you arrive.  Don't arrive too early or you may need to wait.

3 hours ago, Xaa said:

Bill

Okay so first point yes you are correct.

Second point is I can't say how many yards/ft as I normally take a Lyft to ports. But the distance won't be too bad.

Yes porters will be there to take your bags, I would suggest you tip what you feel is acceptable. 

Most likely at POM, someone at the door might check your Set sail pass to see embarkation time and either put you through or have you line up in your selected time. Once paperwork is all checked then you will go through X-ray area. You would only go to a boarding area if the ship were not ready to receive guest, otherwise after the X-ray it is getting picture taken/finish processing and then on to ship. 

If you board before 12pm, eMuster won't be ready in most cases, so you would connect to Wi-Fi and make dining reservations and reservations for any shows that require it. Also expect ship to have room ready after the 1:30 range, it is usually closer to 2pm. 1:30 was before capacity went back to normal.

Not familiar with Miami…but in NJ, I pull my car up to the terminal where the porters are waiting. They take my luggage, I give them a tip. The next time I see that bag is outside my room later that afternoon. 
Then I get back in my car and pull into the parking garage, and then walk with my carry-on rolly bag to the terminal entrance which is steps away.
There are always lines and groups of people clustered about. Most of them are people who, for whatever reason, arrived before their times and have to wait.  
If I am on time, I walk to the front, show my boarding pass, and am waved into the terminal. Then comes the security line…then check in with a worker where my paperwork is examined (I always bring paper copies of everything…don’t have to worry about showing essential documents on my device). Then I board and do pretty much what you described. Then I celebrate!😁

• About 45 days prior to sailing I'll be able to check in and I should do that attempting to get the earliest slot possible. -- Yes, obsessive people like me open the app at 12:00:01 in the timezone of the embarkation port and check in. Pretty much guarantees an early slot.
  • On Embarkation day we're going to be driving into Port of Miami.  I expect that I can park there and the walk from car to terminal is not far.  Is that right?  Are we talking 100 yards, half mile?  The garage is right next to the terminal and parking and walking is short and easy.
    • Is there generally a line for porters? If there is any kind of a wait, it will be short...no problem here.
    • In videos I've seen some really long lines outside the terminal.  Any idea what I'm seeing there? Not sure about the context...this has not been my experience.
  • Then, after porter, I enter the terminal and get in line for security.  There my carry on's will be x-rayed and someone will review our paperwork. Most likely, someone will screen you for vax documentation, test, set sail pass and maybe passport before entering the building. Have hard copies at the ready...this will make it go quickly.
  • After that, we go to a holding area until we are called to board the ship. After entering the building, you go up the escalator and then to security...it goes smoothly and quickly.
  • Then we board and I should connect to wifi and book shows right away. Most likely, with the new check in procedure, etc, you wont wait in the terminal long, if at all. You should be able to connect to the ship's wifi right upon boarding.
  • Complete the muster drill in the app and then go to the muster station. Some ships have crew at muster stations at noon. If you boarded before then, go to a bar and try a drink as you watch the video on your phone.
  • Expect my room to be available in the 1:30 range -- Yep
  • Expect to see my luggage late afternoon. -- Yep

Boarding a ship for a cruise is nothing like the nightmare of dealing with the airport...it is a well organized, almost fun process now that is full of anticipation as the lump in your throat grows while walking on the boarding bridge staring at the monstrous ship you are about to call home for a few days.

12 hours ago, Xaa said:

On Embarkation day we're going to be driving into Port of Miami.  I expect that I can park there and the walk from car to terminal is not far.  Is that right?  Are we talking 100 yards, half mile?  

Which ship will you be on? If you are leaving from Terminal A you would bypass the parking garage ramp, pull in to the drop off zone and drop off your tagged luggage with the porters. Then you loop back around and go up the ramp to park. This way you don't have to deal with luggage in the parking garage. The garage is immediately across from the terminal. You don't even have to walk in the elements to the terminal there or cross a street. The elevators from the garage take you to the correct side of the sidewalk to enter the terminal.

Thanks to everyone who added to this discussion, I am in the same "boat" as Xaa.  Someone mentioned that you get your room key on the boat.  I believe I also read that they are in an envelope on your room door.  My big question is what do you need to get that first "deluxe package beverage" on the boat? Boarding pass / room key?

12 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

Which ship will you be on? If you are leaving from Terminal A you would bypass the parking garage ramp, pull in to the drop off zone and drop off your tagged luggage with the porters. Then you loop back around and go up the ramp to park. This way you don't have to deal with luggage in the parking garage. The garage is immediately across from the terminal. You don't even have to walk in the elements to the terminal there or cross a street. The elevators from the garage take you to the correct side of the sidewalk to enter the terminal.

Thanks Ashley!

We'll be on Oasis of the Seas.  It is Terminal A.  So pass the garage and go to the drop off area then go park.  Makes sense.  Quick follow-up.  Because we're driving down we're going to leave with about an extra 1.5 hour cushion to allow for any traffic/mishaps.  Fingers crossed we have no mishaps and fingers crossed we get the earliest check in time, I think we would be there even before the porters (I'm a better safe than sorry guy).  In that event, if we just park and schlep our luggage down, where the elevators drop would still put us in a good place to see the porters I assume.  Is that right?

Bill

16 hours ago, Zuggs-Mimi said:

Thanks to everyone who added to this discussion, I am in the same "boat" as Xaa.  Someone mentioned that you get your room key on the boat.  I believe I also read that they are in an envelope on your room door.  My big question is what do you need to get that first "deluxe package beverage" on the boat? Boarding pass / room key?

No, the drink package is noted on your sea pass (either printed or on your phone), so you'll be fine. In most cases, the first day of the cruise they just write down your cabin number and you don't need to show anything at all. But you'll be able to get that first drink as soon as you're on board. 

On 8/4/2022 at 4:59 AM, Xaa said:

There are plenty of porters out at the unloading area, so you shouldn't have a line or much of a wait for one. 

Outside the port in Miami, they have different lines outside set up by your boarding time (11:00, 11:30, 12:00, etc.). Without knowing what videos you saw, my guess is the lines were those who were being held while the earlier groups are boarding. As long as you show up close to your boarding time, the lines outside moved pretty quickly. 

Inside the terminal was a little more disorganized and confused, so pack your patience. But it still wasn't terrible. Have fun!

12 hours ago, Xaa said:

In that event, if we just park and schlep our luggage down, where the elevators drop would still put us in a good place to see the porters I assume.  Is that right?

The area that the porters bring the luggage carts to is basically right in front of the elevators, so it won't be an issue to schlep them yourselves if you want. The porters seriously stand there and take your bag three feet and stern eye you for a tip 😂