Mattresses

We are Crown & Anchor Platinum cruisers. Last two cruises, Symphony and Mariner, mattress so so hard I had to ask for extra quilts to pile under sheets, and even then had hip troubles in the morning. Now I am afraid to take another cruise on RC. Did the cruise line change all their mattresses? 

1 hour ago, FloatyBoaty said:

The mattress in our cabin on Wonder (April) was more comfortable than our mattress at home! Hope they're not too broken in when we get back on in a couple of weeks.

On Oasis, I did find it to be pretty firm, but it worked for me.

That’s encouraging! Thank you. This is the ship I was planning to book next.

2 hours ago, Silvergirl said:

We are Crown & Anchor Platinum cruisers. Last two cruises, Symphony and Mariner, mattress so so hard I had to ask for extra quilts to pile under sheets, and even then had hip troubles in the morning. Now I am afraid to take another cruise on RC. Did the cruise line change all their mattresses? 

My wife has same problem. Each ship is a little different.

Griff from Griff and Alyssa and the J's from JJ Cruise made good points about the mattresses being very firm when purchased so that they hold up better to the high usage. I don't have anything to indicate if this is true or not (and I don't even know if i would notice as I'm a fan of extra firm mattresses and the only new ship I've been on was Odyssey and I was quite happy) but I thought it was worth mentioning in case that helps your future bookings.

May be that the recently amped ships have gotten the new mattresses?

I don't think they changed mattresses; where would the money to do that come from when they were shut down for 15+ months?

I think people have changed. I recall reading an article about how a good chunk of people, especially Americans, did home renovations and upgrades to living spaces during the beginning of the pandemic. I would imagine the mattress one has at home is very much tailored to them. Which could be why that now the standard mattress in the non-suite rooms isn't going to feel good to some people. 

4 hours ago, Silvergirl said:

I feel your pain.  I had a lovely mattress topper in May on Oasis and when I sailed her again in June they had no such offering.  I finally had the cabin steward double over that thin thing they tried to tell me would make the bed more comfortable   He folded over  2 of them (so it was 4 high on my side of the bed).  It helped, but I would have preferred the comfy mattress topper I’d had in May.  Those who don’t have a back issue will never understand, and I wouldn’t wish this on anyone. 

16 hours ago, Pattycruise said:

I feel your pain.  I had a lovely mattress topper in May on Oasis and when I sailed her again in June they had no such offering.  I finally had the cabin steward double over that thin thing they tried to tell me would make the bed more comfortable   He folded over  2 of them (so it was 4 high on my side of the bed).  It helped, but I would have preferred the comfy mattress topper I’d had in May.  Those who don’t have a back issue will never understand, and I wouldn’t wish this on anyone. 

Thanks for your feedback.

15 hours ago, CruizIan said:

My Wife and I just completed cruise number 6 together and she had her first instance of the mattress not being comfortable for her. Our steward threw on a mattress pad and she said it improved some but was not great. I think it would very much be a ship to ship thing. Good luck on your next bed!

Thanks. I’m really afraid to book again. I thought maybe it was just the Symphony because she was new when we cruised, but the Mariner in April was just as bad, and we’ve been on her before with no problem 🤷‍♀️

• 3 months later...
On 8/3/2022 at 8:55 AM, Silvergirl said:

We just got off the Wonder and my husband and I slept better than ever.  One of the most comfortable mattresses ever!  I'm trying to find out what it is.

I notice in the FAQ section for the benefits of the different suite classes, one of the things listed for Sea and Sky class is “luxury pillow top mattress” (I know Star class gets the Duxiana mattresses). Does anyone know if the mattresses for Sea/Sky are actually different from what’s in the standard staterooms, or do they just put a topper on the same mattress?

In the case of the person who just got off Wonder it wouldn't matter what category of room they had. Wonder just came out. Millions of people have not sleep on those mattresses yet, so they are still very new. Having stayed in suites on a couple of ship, but also liking a particularly firm mattress, I can say there may be a small difference when you do any suite. 

TBH, my experience has been that there are absolutely no differences in the suite mattresses and the non-suite mattresses with the single exception of Star Class.  Some of THE most uncomfortable mattresses I have slept on have been in Owner's Suites and Grand Suites.  Maybe they have upgraded their suites mattresses on some of the newer ships (I have yet to sail on SY, OY or WO) but truthfully, I wouldn't count on their being a remarkable upgrade on a suites mattress.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/3/2022 at 2:29 PM, CrimsonCruiser said:

Griff from Griff and Alyssa and the J's from JJ Cruise made good points about the mattresses being very firm when purchased so that they hold up better to the high usage. I don't have anything to indicate if this is true or not (and I don't even know if i would notice as I'm a fan of extra firm mattresses and the only new ship I've been on was Odyssey and I was quite happy) but I thought it was worth mentioning in case that helps your future bookings.

May be that the recently amped ships have gotten the new mattresses?

Not sure I buy this. Mattresses in homes are slept on every single night, and I bet they are not replaced as often as ones in a cruise ship. Also it’s not as though there are high enough ceilings in a cabin to like jump on the beds or abuse them in ways you wouldn’t at home (which might cause faster wear and tear aging).

Personally, I 100% cannot sleep normally on a RC mattress. I’ve had to either prop up with lots of pillows in a semi-sitting up position, done the same on the couch in the cabin, or slept on the deck chair if we have a balcony. They are just awful, IMO. Would be nice if they had bendy beds 🙂

On 12/24/2022 at 3:25 PM, Husky1987 said:

My wife has the same issue with pretty much any mattress other than our own.  We've started taking this along with us and it has really worked for her:

81Iw9O3D-UL._AC_SX679_.webp.8ac8bcdda7af83e1b25eb36257fd87ea.webp

just grabbed this off amazon to try!

we were on odyssey and i'm not sure if it was the pillows or the bed (or both) but i barely slept. happy to give this a shot!

• 1 month later...
On 12/26/2022 at 11:14 AM, asquared17 said:

we were on odyssey and i'm not sure if it was the pillows or the bed (or both) but i barely slept. happy to give this a shot!

Just got off Odyssey and also barely slept. Hard as a rock and foam mattress, this can make folks sweat.  So terrible I couldn't wait for cruise to end. Finally had the couch made for me with 3 nights remaining. 

On 12/26/2022 at 11:14 AM, asquared17 said:

can confirm this was a game changer for me on symphony (linked in my post blog)

while the beds were softer than odyssey, this made it like sleeping at home. wont go without it on any cruise anymore!!

• 4 weeks later...

that air mattress shown above it currently 3.00 off on Amazon so I  just bought one as a preventative measure for my wife for our July cruise on Liberty, she has a mild bad back, and I keep hearing stories Liberty beds are bad, so I'm hoping this averts a crisis LOL, Gotta Thank all of you seasoned cruisers on here and Matt for all the info you provide us new cruisers, I'd be lost without this forum for sure.

• 1 month later...

We went on the Wonder at the end of April 2023 in a balcony cabin. The bed was SO comfy we didnt want to get out of it. It worked for both of us and my husband is a tall big man and I am shorter and half his size.  We're going to buy the bed although the company in Miami that sells them seems a little flakey. Be warned they want $850 for shipping on the phone, but it's $574 online for a Cali King. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/20/2023 at 12:33 AM, debbien507 said:

We went on the Wonder at the end of April 2023 in a balcony cabin. The bed was SO comfy we didnt want to get out of it. It worked for both of us and my husband is a tall big man and I am shorter and half his size.  We're going to buy the bed although the company in Miami that sells them seems a little flakey. Be warned they want $850 for shipping on the phone, but it's $574 online for a Cali King. 

I loved the bed too. Where did you find the bed?  I see their website but I’m not sure which one it was?  Did you buy it and how is it?

• 5 months later...

We are Diamond Plus and have been getting I bed Grand Suites. Last year, on Harmony I would wake up in ex cruciating pain in the middle of the night and not be able to go back to sleep. The mattress was like a box spring . And it had a huge hole in the middle. I had to do hrs of yoga a day to be able to function. I missed most of the ports. the cruise people  tried to help as best  they could  but couldn't do much. This year, on Symphony, it was the same and also badly affected my husband. I got to the Head of Ho usekeeping and they happened to have 2 new mattresses. Basic and extremely firm but better. We 've been Royal to Loyal for over 25 yrs but when basic comfort like a bed can't be assured, I'm not sure that we can commit for next year. We love  being Diamond Plus, the Suite Lounge , etc but we may need to look elsewhere. All the RC money Seems to be being funneled into the Odyssey and Icon. And $ 20,000 for a l Bed Grand Suite. IMO, CEO Michael Bailey has gone "mad" with greed. Everyone, It's been said, wants to travel and must are max xing out credit cards . When the bottom falls out on that, maybe Michael Bailey will come back to earth. Oh, and yes, restore  functions like the " Goodbye Promenade Parade" and other RC "classics " that are gone.  He's too busy building his own RC port in Miami to maximize profits even more to care, though . Very sad