Mattresses

We are Crown & Anchor Platinum cruisers. Last two cruises, Symphony and Mariner, mattress so so hard I had to ask for extra quilts to pile under sheets, and even then had hip troubles in the morning. Now I am afraid to take another cruise on RC. Did the cruise line change all their mattresses? 

1 hour ago, FloatyBoaty said:

The mattress in our cabin on Wonder (April) was more comfortable than our mattress at home! Hope they're not too broken in when we get back on in a couple of weeks.

On Oasis, I did find it to be pretty firm, but it worked for me.

That’s encouraging! Thank you. This is the ship I was planning to book next.

2 hours ago, Silvergirl said:

We are Crown & Anchor Platinum cruisers. Last two cruises, Symphony and Mariner, mattress so so hard I had to ask for extra quilts to pile under sheets, and even then had hip troubles in the morning. Now I am afraid to take another cruise on RC. Did the cruise line change all their mattresses? 

My wife has same problem. Each ship is a little different.

Griff from Griff and Alyssa and the J's from JJ Cruise made good points about the mattresses being very firm when purchased so that they hold up better to the high usage. I don't have anything to indicate if this is true or not (and I don't even know if i would notice as I'm a fan of extra firm mattresses and the only new ship I've been on was Odyssey and I was quite happy) but I thought it was worth mentioning in case that helps your future bookings.

May be that the recently amped ships have gotten the new mattresses?

I don't think they changed mattresses; where would the money to do that come from when they were shut down for 15+ months?

I think people have changed. I recall reading an article about how a good chunk of people, especially Americans, did home renovations and upgrades to living spaces during the beginning of the pandemic. I would imagine the mattress one has at home is very much tailored to them. Which could be why that now the standard mattress in the non-suite rooms isn't going to feel good to some people. 

4 hours ago, Silvergirl said:

I feel your pain.  I had a lovely mattress topper in May on Oasis and when I sailed her again in June they had no such offering.  I finally had the cabin steward double over that thin thing they tried to tell me would make the bed more comfortable   He folded over  2 of them (so it was 4 high on my side of the bed).  It helped, but I would have preferred the comfy mattress topper I’d had in May.  Those who don’t have a back issue will never understand, and I wouldn’t wish this on anyone. 

My Wife and I just completed cruise number 6 together and she had her first instance of the mattress not being comfortable for her. Our steward threw on a mattress pad and she said it improved some but was not great. I think it would very much be a ship to ship thing. Good luck on your next bed!

16 hours ago, Pattycruise said:

I feel your pain.  I had a lovely mattress topper in May on Oasis and when I sailed her again in June they had no such offering.  I finally had the cabin steward double over that thin thing they tried to tell me would make the bed more comfortable   He folded over  2 of them (so it was 4 high on my side of the bed).  It helped, but I would have preferred the comfy mattress topper I’d had in May.  Those who don’t have a back issue will never understand, and I wouldn’t wish this on anyone. 

Thanks for your feedback.

15 hours ago, CruizIan said:

My Wife and I just completed cruise number 6 together and she had her first instance of the mattress not being comfortable for her. Our steward threw on a mattress pad and she said it improved some but was not great. I think it would very much be a ship to ship thing. Good luck on your next bed!

Thanks. I’m really afraid to book again. I thought maybe it was just the Symphony because she was new when we cruised, but the Mariner in April was just as bad, and we’ve been on her before with no problem 🤷‍♀️