Virgin Voyages allowing 10% unvaccinated adults :)

Just incase anyone else is in the same boat as me and dying to cruise again but are not covid vaccinated, Virgin cruises is allowing 10% of adults (adults only cruise line) to be unvaccinated. We will be coming back to royal I'm sure but for now virgin will have to do. Haven't booked yet but still exciting being able to look at booking knowing it's actually possible to go again. Hopefully all the other cruise lines will follow along soon. 

Royal is trying to do something similar.  Royal's 20% unvax plans include children while Virgin doesn't allow children so the Virgin 10% adults is pretty close to Royal's 20% kids plus adults unvax plans.

It's still not clear how the destination rules will play into either Virgin or Royal's attempts to allow more unvax on board.  

Time will tell.  

25 minutes ago, twangster said:

Royal is trying to do something similar.  Royal's 20% unvax plans include children while Virgin doesn't allow children so the Virgin 10% adults is pretty close to Royal's 20% kids plus adults unvax plans.

It's still not clear how the destination rules will play into either Virgin or Royal's attempts to allow more unvax on board.  

Time will tell.  

I didn't think royal allowed any unvaccinated adults. Looks at their website and saw that all passengers over 12 had to be vaccinated. 

36 minutes ago, Jason.H. said:

I didn't think royal allowed any unvaccinated adults. Looks at their website and saw that all passengers over 12 had to be vaccinated. 

I have a cruise with RC booked next month, I had a religious exemption filed but they told me I don't need it anymore with the new protocols (after August 8th), and there was no mention at all of them having to make sure they had room for me, etc. So I think right now they are probably able to keep that 20% number fairly easily because many people will not cruise again until all of the mandates are done, including the testing. 

44 minutes ago, Jason.H. said:

This, like Virgin's announcement is very recent and we are still waiting to see how this will play out.  Royal promises an update "The week of Aug. 1st" so sometime this week.  

Mexico and some Caribbean destination don't have vax mandates.  Bermuda, Bahamas, Canada and select Caribbean destinations till have vax mandates.

Like with Virgin, we are all waiting to see how the cruise line announcements will play out versus destination requirements for testing and vax mandates.  

20 minutes ago, Bowen said:

I have a cruise with RC booked next month, I had a religious exemption filed but they told me I don't need it anymore with the new protocols (after August 8th), and there was no mention at all of them having to make sure they had room for me, etc. So I think right now they are probably able to keep that 20% number fairly easily because many people will not cruise again until all of the mandates are done, including the testing. 

Was this for a cruise departing from the US? Because I'm hearing these changes are just for US cruises at the moment, but I'd be thrilled if it was for non-US cruises too. Thanks!

44 minutes ago, Bowen said:

How did you hear that you don't need one, I'm cruising for Europe and have applied for a religious exemption but they won't give me any update on how the application is progressing (the unvaccinated 20% rule doesn't apply to Europe yet)

38 minutes ago, LoftyLaura said:

How did you hear that you don't need one, I'm cruising for Europe and have applied for a religious exemption but they won't give me any update on how the application is progressing (the unvaccinated 20% rule doesn't apply to Europe yet)

I called to check on it once they announced the US rule, that's when they told me it was no longer needed. I think Matt also posted a blog confirming this. But it's not for Europe as far as I know. I had a previous exemption request in departing August 14th, and that one was denied just before the two week mark, which was right before they announced the new protocols, so them telling me the September one wasn't needed was a new thing after the new protocols were announced.

1 hour ago, Jason.H. said:

Royal is changing the policy this week for cruises after August 8. They have yet to release the full information but they are hinting that vaccination will no longer be required.

11 hours ago, Jason.H. said:

Just incase anyone else is in the same boat as me and dying to cruise again but are not covid vaccinated, Virgin cruises is allowing 10% of adults (adults only cruise line) to be unvaccinated. We will be coming back to royal I'm sure but for now virgin will have to do. Haven't booked yet but still exciting being able to look at booking knowing it's actually possible to go again. Hopefully all the other cruise lines will follow along soon. 

All cruiselines have been allowing 10% the only difference is kids counted in that and virgin doesn't allow kids.

RC is now going to allow 20% I think to offset this.

14 hours ago, IzzyB said:

All cruiselines have been allowing 10% the only difference is kids counted in that and virgin doesn't allow kids.

RC is now going to allow 20% I think to offset this.

the previous 10% for royal has been kids only. at least thats what their website said. All passengers 12 and over must be vaccinated. 

On 8/3/2022 at 8:23 AM, Jason.H. said:

I wonder if people have read the fine print (and that isn't directed at you personally so please don't take it as a personal attack). 

There seems to be separate rules at Virgin for vaccinated verses unvaccinated sailors.

While Virgin is allowing unvaccinated passengers onboard that 10% is based off the total number of passengers booked not the ships capacity which we know Virgin is struggling to fill their 2 ships even the one currently sailing in the Caribbean. Sailors as they call them can book online or call sailor services where you will informed if you can actually sail. If they've already hit their 10% limit and you call afterwards you won't be allowed to sail.  Secondly on Virgin Voyages if you are unvaccinated you are required to present a negative covid test taken within the previous 24 HOURS or you must test at the pier. Thirdly you must fill out a questionnaire that is sent to you 24 hours prior to boarding and even then Virgin Voyages makes it clear you or someone in your group could still be pulled for and screening by the ships medical personnel and if the medical personnel deem you at high risk for contracting covid they can deem you unfit to sail and deny you boarding at the pier. Speaking of groups lets say the group is unvaccinated and all of you arrive at the pier at the same time all TOGETHER and Virgin deems one person unfit for travel the entire group will be denied boarding.  The only way to avoid this outcome is if you all arrive seperately and have no contact then only the person deemed unfit for travel will be denied boarding.   Forthly and this is the kicker should you as an unvaccinated guest become ill onboard with covid Virgin Voyages will not cover ANY related expenses and they can medically disembark you.  While Virgin will not require unvaccinated guest to purchase travel insurance unvaccinated guest need to know they are on their own with no financial assistance from the cruise line should you get sick during the voyage. Lastly Virgin Voyages is highly recommending that unvaccinated sailors wear a mask while onboard the ship except for when they are on a outdoors or in their cabin.

There is a lot to consider before taking a cruise on Virgin if you are unvaccinated because there is no guarantee that you will actually get on the ship and secondly if you test positive during the voyage Virgin is letting you know you are on your own.