how to get dining time moved? solo traveler

Kris123

I am a new cruiser and thinking about booking a last minute cruise as solo traveler.  The only option is my time dining and 8 pm dining.  I prefer to eat dinner early and would like the 5 pm dining room option.  Once I get on board, how hard is it to move from the 8 pm slot to the 5 pm slot? I'm happy to join any table that has an open seat, so I'd think there'd be availability.  

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Kris123 said:

I am a new cruiser and thinking about booking a last minute cruise as solo traveler.  The only option is my time dining and 8 pm dining.  I prefer to eat dinner early and would like the 5 pm dining room option.  Once I get on board, how hard is it to move from the 8 pm slot to the 5 pm slot? I'm happy to join any table that has an open seat, so I'd think there'd be availability.  

Thanks!

It they have space at 5:30pm traditional dining it will be easy as pie to change onboard.

I don't know if you booked through a TA or with Royal. But it might be an option to call and see if they can make the switch beforehand. 

Same thing happened on our cruise in July.  When we went to request earlier dining when we boarded they said it was all booked up but could book us with with another table.  I declined but they said if I just showed up, they would accommodate us.  Which they did every time we went to to our dining room.  No waiting.  (our cruise on Oasis was at full capacity)

I was able to do switch my assigned time on my solo cruise in June. There was a long line of people in the lobby of the MDR waiting to make adjustments to their time &/or table assignment. Everyone chatted pretty comfortably while we waited for our turn at the podium. Once there, they very quickly added me to a table of solo travelers at the time I preferred. Probably easier for them with solos? 

5 hours ago, Kris123 said:

Thanks!

I understand your preference, but on our last cruise we got stuck with 8ish slots for MTD. We enjoyed faster service and missed the crowds. Enjoy your cruise!

On 8/3/2022 at 10:38 PM, Traveling Mike said:

I always travel solo.  Most likely you want my time dining.  This allows you to go at 5:30 pm and gives you the option of setting alone or with other people.  It also give you the option of meeting different people each meal.

As a solo traveler, will they seat you at an open spot with other folks or do you have your own table.  I'd rather dine with other people versus a table alone.  Also, I read the wait for my time dining is 30 t0 40 min.  Have you experienced that? or does dining solo make it easier for them to seat you quickly.  

Thanks!

11 hours ago, Kris123 said:

As a solo traveler, will they seat you at an open spot with other folks or do you have your own table.  I'd rather dine with other people versus a table alone.  Also, I read the wait for my time dining is 30 t0 40 min.  Have you experienced that? or does dining solo make it easier for them to seat you quickly.  

Thanks!

I set a reservation ahead of time and eat early.  I like to have my dinner at 6:00 pm and most of the time get right in and they are very accommodating.  Covid has messed things up and it is harder to get a table with a group.  They have set me at tables right next to other solo travelers.  

25 minutes ago, Traveling Mike said:

I set a reservation ahead of time and eat early.  I like to have my dinner at 6:00 pm and most of the time get right in and they are very accommodating.  Covid has messed things up and it is harder to get a table with a group.  They have set me at tables right next to other solo travelers.  

This a great tip. If you let them know at the host stand that you'd like to be seated near other solo travelers, they'll likely accommodate you.  Many of the tables are very close together anyway.