Insurance Question

DMLM

Sorry for the long post.

I had a cruise booked in May and was unable to go because of COVID.  It took some time but Royal did refund my money in full (thanks to the persistence of my TA).  I also received future flight certificates from the airline and refunds for all other booked activities pre and during the cruise.  All worked out so far.

I always book travel insurance in case of the unforeseen events that could be devastating.  I did the same this time with the same travel insurance company (Allianz).  Their policy indicates that they will cancel/refund your policy if you have COVID and the trip is cancelled.  Unfortunately this is turning into a bit of a challenge.  I have provided the proof of Covid as well as the flight cancellation.  They are now asking for the proof of cancellation of the trip (guessing Royal Caribbean).  My travel agent worked that and was able to get the refund from them through my credit card but there is no real email or letter stating anything.  When I asked the TA she was not optimistic I would get that from Royal.

Any suggestions and has anyone had a similar situation they had success with?

It is common practice to provide proof of cancellation from the travel supplier (cruise line, airline, hotel, etc) what submitting a travel insurance claim.  It will show if there were any refunds (cash, credit) provided by the travel supplier to ensure you have not already been indemnified.  I was able to get a proof of cancellation letter from Royal Caribbean.  It did take a long time (6 weeks).  It was in the beginning of the pandemic.  

1 hour ago, DMLM said:

Sorry for the long post.

I had a cruise booked in May and was unable to go because of COVID.  It took some time but Royal did refund my money in full (thanks to the persistence of my TA).  I also received future flight certificates from the airline and refunds for all other booked activities pre and during the cruise.  All worked out so far.

I always book travel insurance in case of the unforeseen events that could be devastating.  I did the same this time with the same travel insurance company (Allianz).  Their policy indicates that they will cancel/refund your policy if you have COVID and the trip is cancelled.  Unfortunately this is turning into a bit of a challenge.  I have provided the proof of Covid as well as the flight cancellation.  They are now asking for the proof of cancellation of the trip (guessing Royal Caribbean).  My travel agent worked that and was able to get the refund from them through my credit card but there is no real email or letter stating anything.  When I asked the TA she was not optimistic I would get that from Royal.

Any suggestions and has anyone had a similar situation they had success with?

Another option:  If you reschedule your cruise Allianz will change the dates of your policy to the new timeframe.  This happened to us when Royal cancelled our cruise.

Maybe I’m misunderstanding…but if you were reimbursed by Royal, then the insurance would not be applicable. From what I understand, the travel insurance only kicks in if you did not receive a refund from Royal, and if the cancellation is for a covered reason listed in the insurance policy. The insurance is secondary. Allianz would communicate with Royal to determine if you did receive a refund and if so, they would deny the claim.

Someone please correct me if I’m wrong.

29 minutes ago, ChessE4 said:

Another option:  If you reschedule your cruise Allianz will change the dates of your policy to the new timeframe.  This happened to us when Royal cancelled our cruise.

That is good info.  Unfortunately (or fortunately) I did not realize that when I rebooked my cruise for 2 weeks later (while recovering from Covid) and then paid for that cruise and insurance premium as well.  It would have been nice to roll it over but did not catch that at the time.

12 minutes ago, BrianB said:

Maybe I’m misunderstanding…but if you were reimbursed by Royal, then the insurance would not be applicable. From what I understand, the travel insurance only kicks in if you did not receive a refund from Royal, and if the cancellation is for a covered reason listed in the insurance policy. The insurance is secondary. Allianz would communicate with Royal to determine if you did receive a refund and if so, they would deny the claim.

12 minutes ago, BrianB said:

You are correct that the insurance would cover items that are not reimbursed (for a claim).  But they also have a provision that indicates they will cancel/refund you if you do not take the trip, and do not file a claim, due to Covid.  I did not need the policy for that trip as it never happened.

Latest update:  It appears that I have now made progress with Allianz.  I called again yesterday and spoke with another supervisor.  I again demonstrated they have the documentation showing the positive Covid test and my canceled flight (for weeks now).  The dates of the flight are the same dates of the policy.  I also reminded them of their policy and that I was operating within that policy.  I also closed with saying this has been way too long and will be looking to escalate to corporate if this si not resolved this time (not trying to be threatening but rather look for alternate resolution paths if needed).

Within 5 minutes after the call I received an email yesterday that has lead me to believe they finally understood my points.  The proof will come when I see the refund on my credit card. 

On 8/5/2022 at 8:31 AM, DMLM said:

Latest update:  It appears that I have now made progress with Allianz.  I called again yesterday and spoke with another supervisor.  I again demonstrated they have the documentation showing the positive Covid test and my canceled flight (for weeks now).  The dates of the flight are the same dates of the policy.  I also reminded them of their policy and that I was operating within that policy.  I also closed with saying this has been way too long and will be looking to escalate to corporate if this si not resolved this time (not trying to be threatening but rather look for alternate resolution paths if needed).

Within 5 minutes after the call I received an email yesterday that has lead me to believe they finally understood my points.  The proof will come when I see the refund on my credit card. 

Last update:  The credit was applied and cleared.  I'm glad it happened but took way too long to work through.  Should never have been that difficult but thankful that it is now behind me.