Deluxe Package decision making for a new cruiser

I'm going on my first ever cruise next month, and I'm super excited! One of the struggles I had was deciding if I should get the deluxe drink package. For awhile I thought it wouldn't be worth it, but after listening in the podcasts, I ultimately decided to YOLO book it, and here are reasons why!

• 25% off was enticing. I got the package for about $44 a night, and seeing how each drink is about $12, I don' think it would be difficult to drink that much throughout a day.
  • We booked a 5 night specialty dining package, so it's great that you can use it at the restaurants. I'm sure I'd want to try out all their featured drinks without having to worry about paying after.
  • Speaking of trying drinks, it gives me the opportunity to really find my "go to drink at a Royal Caribbean cruise" just in case Matt wants me to be a guest in his podcast *ahem ahem
  • I don't have to worry about buying too much drinks when I get in that happy state of mind lol.
  • I originally wanted to bring two bottles of champagne and order fresh squeezed juice in the morning to enjoy at the balcony for some makeshift mimosas. But I don't have to worry about that anymore.
  • I planned on bringing water bottles to the cruise, but since they give free bottles with the package, my luggage will be so much lighter!
  • I am a heavy consumer of tea and orange juice. If each one is about $3-$5, I may not even need to drink alcohol to make the package worth it.
  • Most importantly, I'm on vacation! Purchasing the package will make it feel more "all inclusive" without having to worry about going over board on spending. 

I think you made a smart choice. One of the main reasons I get the package is paying for it up front just makes it feel like it's part of the cruise payment. I've gotten quit the shock when seeing the bill at the end of the week. Those drinks can really add up.

That's what I was afraid of. I want to use Vegas for example, I always have the mentality that I'm going to bring my own bottles of drinks to save money. It's just something about being on a vacation that gets you hyped up and excited that you lose just a tad bit of control sometimes.

Even though we have been on a good number of cruises, we purchased for the first time the deluxe beverage package for our spring break cruise that leaves in 9 days!!!!!!!  I thought that 45 dollars a day which includes the 18% gratuity was a good deal.  Let the beverages start to flow the minute I step on board. LOL

Even though we have been on a good number of cruises, we purchased for the first time the deluxe beverage package for our spring break cruise that leaves in 9 days!!!!!!!  I thought that 45 dollars a day which includes the 18% gratuity was a good deal.  Let the beverages start to flow the minute I step on board. LOL

Exactly! You understand me lol.

Being a first time cruiser myself, I chose the dining and drink packages for the same reason as DocLC. Having everything pre-paid and "included" seems to be a good way to just sit back and relax, without having to be worried about the costs.

I really like not running up a mega bill at the end of the cruise. For this purpose, prepaying is a great option for me.