Stateroom Fridges

So my wife and I did the 3 day Bahamas cruise out of Miami on the Freedom of the Seas. We had an Oceanview room. We brought bottle water and soda on board. The "fridge" wasn't cold. We called maintenance who came and told us it's not supposed to get cold. It's only for "drink storage". Seems crazy to not have a fridge that gets cold. We we're a tad bit disappointed. Royal should change this. Remove them altogether or put real fridges in.

11 hours ago, Holloways said:

So my wife and I did the 3 day Bahamas cruise out of Miami on the Freedom of the Seas. We had an Oceanview room. We brought bottle water and soda on board. The "fridge" wasn't cold. We called maintenance who came and told us it's not supposed to get cold. It's only for "drink storage". Seems crazy to not have a fridge that gets cold. We we're a tad bit disappointed. Royal should change this. Remove them altogether or put real fridges in.

It isn't supposed to get cold at least not like the refrigerator in your house.  Those fridges are designed to keep items cool, not cold and I've always found that they've done their job at keeping bottle water, beer stuff like that cool. They are not designed to keep food cold (at proper temperature) or for holding medication that must be kept cold.

I picked up a backpack cooler from Costco a few years back. Keeps everything very cold and is a great option. I have not seen it for sale again at Costco. You might want to look on Amazon. It can be carried on the plane or stuffed into a suitcase. When we lived in Florida and would drive to the port, I always brought a soft-side cooler on our cruises.

The temperature varies by ship.

They've always been cool enough for me on Oasis-class. In two separate cabins on Indy last week, it was the warmest I've ever seen.

As mentioned above, ask for ice from your cabin attendant. We always do no matter what just to have it. Gets replaced twice a day.

Refrigerators and their Freon are terrible for the environment and waste a lot of electricity to boot. 
To think that a cruise ship has literally thousands of these aboard and yet at the same time wants to tell you about their Save The Waves program or that they have created a LEED certified cruise ship should have us all saying ‘I was born at night, but I was not born last night.’

10 hours ago, bobroo said:

Refrigerators and their Freon are terrible for the environment and waste a lot of electricity to boot. 
To think that a cruise ship has literally thousands of these aboard and yet at the same time wants to tell you about their Save The Waves program or that they have created a LEED certified cruise ship should have us all saying ‘I was born at night, but I was not born last night.’

Freon has been banned since 1994. It was also completely phased out of production in 2020 so anything that still uses it can no longer be serviced. I doubt there are any Freon-using fridges on Royal ships. 

Ships have beverage coolers that are not designed to be a fridge.  They can't cool enough to be considered a fridge which saves on electrical demand because they can't cool to the same extent as a proper refrigerator.

Early ships had the beverage cooler placed in an area that didn't get great air circulation in the enclosure.  I would often take a washcloth from the bathroom and drape it over the door that covered the cooler enclosure so that the hot air could escape.  

Newer ships had vents in the desktop so that hot air from the beverage coolers could escape.  Some ships have the door to the closure secured to the beverage cooler door so that opening the outer door opens the cooler door.  These ships tend to have adequate ventilation around the beverage cooler.  

On 8/1/2022 at 7:45 PM, Holloways said:

Most hotels also only provide coolers not fridges.  If you need things colder, you get ice from the hotel machine or ask for it from your cabin steward on a cruise.  It's pretty universal in the travel industry.

3 hours ago, twangster said:

Ships have beverage coolers that are not designed to be a fridge.  They can't cool enough to be considered a fridge which saves on electrical demand because they can't cool to the same extent as a proper refrigerator.

This.  They are basically a wine (or beverage) cooler (45-55 deg) and not a refrigerator.  They are thermoelectric and not compressor based.

Basically echoing what the others have said. Usually, there's been a sign somewhere on or in the not-fridge that says "this is not a refrigerator, this is a cooler". And I have found that they absolutely highly vary in coolness level.

On our 2015 freedom and 2017 enchantment, they got cold enough for my mom who loves ice cold water. but Liberty it was barely below room temp. Then on Odyssey everything was perfectly chilled.