Things You Have Learned To Do On A Cruise.

Gears

Over time my wife and I have learned a few tricks and established some habits when on a cruise.

Here's two of ours:

1. Take the stairs. Only exception is going to the Diamond Lounge on Deck 14 and then to late dinner. Otherwise, it's the stairs 100% of the time, no exceptions. Even coming back from an excursion on deck 1 and up to the deck 10 stateroom. No rush, just take your time and get it done. Hoping this keeps at least 5lbs off the scale...

2. Light in the bathroom at night. Nothing worse than getting up in the middle of the night to pee (when your 40+ it's at least once, 50+ at least twice) and flipping on the light switch only to blind yourself. Then exiting the bathroom only to greet complete darkness...stubbing your toe and causing a general ruckus. Since the electrical outlet in the staterooms is only active when the light switch is on, we bring with us a small LED light that sits on the counter that we only have to tap to turn it on or off. Just enough light to do what you need to do. Far easier on the eyes and at least you can see the obstacles on the way back to the pillow.

What are some of your tricks and things you've learned to do?

Bring (and actually wear or carry) a waterproof watch. I'm not a watch guy...I've tried, but they're just annoying (no jewelry either, save my wedding ring...which is silicone, Qalo brand). I normally use my phone to tell time, but that pretty much gets turned off while on board, so it's back to a watch, but I'm so glad I have one (didn't on our first cruise and hated it).

We have learned to change our watches to ships time but leave a mobile phone at the old time so we know what time it is in England.

One cruise in particular we had so many time changes we hadn't a clue what time it was in England -  :blink:

If out on an excursion we have room service for breakfast, it saves time  

As FloatMe said, learn to relax. It is funny how you know who the first time cruisers are, they are running from one spot to another, asking everyone, where is the theater, the Royal Promenade, what time is the parade, they always seem to overbook their days and nights and try to do too much.

I always bring magnetic hooks, duct tape and a hanging shoe bag (I know a lot of people don't like them, but they have really saved me space in the bathroom).

Candie

I have a collapsible mesh laundry bag that is a must and I also have a hanging shoe bag which really helps eliminate a mess in the bottom of the closet.

If you are on any of the "new" ships (Harmony is the only such ship I have experienced) be sure to bring an old Seapass card to put in the lights/electricity slot.  I know that any credit card sized card will work but I found an old Seapass card to be perfect.  On these ships there is a slot just inside the cabin door that controls the lights in the room and the AC.  If the card is removed, lights and AC won't work.  If the card is inserted, lights and AC work.  They use this power control method in hotels in Europe a lot.

I always bring water shoes with me.  So many of the beaches are rough and rocky.

We have a cruise coming up soon, and we're determined to relax. Forget trying to see or do everything. You won't be able to, anyways. Read your evening Cruise Compass early in the evening before you've had too many drinks. :-D  Pick out something you really want to do, trivia time? whatever, but remember you're not in summer camp. The ship is here for you to enjoy.  Staying up late won't make the cruise go slower. We all have to get off the boat eventually. BOO HOO ..so take that nap, soak in the sea air. Make sure the activities don't lure you into forgetting to look out to the sea and enjoy the ride!

Guest toodle68

Exercise..  

I love food .. and I try multiple dishes in the evening meal and normally sample 2-3 deserts. There is no way I could enjoy the cruise knowing I was going to gain 10 to 15 lbs.. so on any sailing day I walk around the track/ship for an hour or more.

We use the stairs to go down and mostly to go up.. sometimes, if we have to go up 7 decks.. we go up one deck, then walk to the opposite end of the ship and then go up another deck.. repeat until the top.

I know the thought of exercising is horrific to some people.. but returning home with that extra weight is more horrific to me than anything.. I am someone who will gain a lb just looking at a cheesecake..

Here's another thing we learned..

Some may say 'duh, no kidding dude'...but, on the other hand we walk by many open staterooms when they are being cleaned and there are folks who haven't clicked on it yet.

Unpack your suitcases. Empty suitcases go under the bed so they don't take up floor or closet space. Use a mesh laundry bag and put your dirty laundry in the suitcases under the bed.

Assuming of course...you're not bringing a travel trunk(s) for a suitcase most should fit. :)

Guest toodle68

On our last cruise we were right near one of the big staterooms.. grand or something.. and we could tell walking by that they practically lived out of their suitcases for the week.. I really did not understand why when you have a closet bigger than most interior cabins.

Here's another thing we learned..

Some may say 'duh, no kidding dude'...but, on the other hand we walk by many open staterooms when they are being cleaned and there are folks who haven't clicked on it yet.

Unpack your suitcases. Empty suitcases go under the bed so they don't take up floor or closet space. Use a mesh laundry bag and put your dirty laundry in the suitcases under the bed.

Assuming of course...you're not bringing a travel trunk(s) for a suitcase most should fit. :)

Our two large cases will never fit under the beds so generally end up at the back of the Sofa.

I always take multiple  bags with me and when one  is full it goes back into the suit case, as the cruise goes on I sort out the bags so that when we get home they all have the same colour clothing in.

It makes it so easy when I get home to just take out a bag of - say Whites and bung it in the washing machine.

It works well for me. 

On the taboo topic of exercise...

Like to go for a walk but don't because the "track" is unusable with the crowds, chairs and heat? On Freedom class and Voyager class ships go down to deck 4. Go outside and start walking. A lap of the ship will take you up front to the helipad and all the way to the very aft end of the ship. A lap of a Freedom class ship is getting close to a half mile. 

Whether you just need to walk off a session of Johnny Rockets or you want to put your power walking shoes on, deck 4 is the best place. It can get windy sometimes, but you usually won't find many people there.

Guest toodle68

On the taboo topic of exercise...

Like to go for a walk but don't because the "track" is unusable with the crowds, chairs and heat? On Freedom class and Voyager class ships go down to deck 4. Go outside and start walking. A lap of the ship will take you up front to the helipad and all the way to the very aft end of the ship. A lap of a Freedom class ship is getting close to a half mile. 

Whether you just need to walk off a session of Johnny Rockets or you want to put your power walking shoes on, deck 4 is the best place. It can get windy sometimes, but you usually won't find many people there.

That is where I did all my walking. Deck 4 is awesome and my wife loves to just sit down there and hear the water. I meant to measure the distance when we were in port but forgot.

1. Pack half as much

2. It's not a race or a job; relax, you're on vacation

3. Eat before you embark. I know, that runs opposite of conventional SOP which is jam into the Foodjammer as soon as you step foot onto the ship. But as we all know the Foodjammer ican get full. OR just go to the Park Cafe.

Promenade Deck on Radiance class ships is good too...just can't do a full lap since there's no path around the aft end of the ships.

Are you sure about this? I've been on her the sisters and I don't recall this being the case and I walk the promenade deck quite a bit. In addition, the deck plans show it going all the way around.

Are you sure about this? I've been on her the sisters and I don't recall this being the case and I walk the promenade deck quite a bit. In addition, the deck plans show it going all the way around.

I may be wrong, but I can't recall being able to walk around the aft. The deck plans for deck 2 looks like you can walk around the aft, but we know that's not the case. Pictures I find don't provide much in the way of confirmation. So we'll place this one in the 'may be possible, your experience may vary' category.

I may be wrong, but I can't recall being able to walk around the aft. The deck plans for deck 2 looks like you can walk around the aft, but we know that's not the case. Pictures I find don't provide much in the way of confirmation. So we'll place this one in the 'may be possible, your experience may vary' category.

I agree with Doc here.  On both the Jewel and the Brilliance we walked around the aft on the promenade deck.