Gratuities Are Increasing

I just received my e-doc’s for my upcoming sailing in August and it looks like gratuities are increasing.  It states:

Gratuities
A $16.00 per guest, per day gratuity will automatically be added to each guest’s SeaPass® account for our dining, bar & culinary services staff, stateroom attendants and other hotel services teams who work behind the scenes to give you the best possible cruise experience. Suite guests will see a $18.50 daily gratuity.
Guests who prepaid gratuities prior to boarding their cruise will not see a daily charge onboard.
An 18% gratuity is also automatically added to beverages, room service, and the mini bar. Beverage gratuities are pooled and shared by various dining and beverage service staff. An 18% gratuity is also automatically added to spa and salon purchases. Gratuities for other service personnel are at your discretion.
*Guests who booked prior to July 15, 2022 can pre-pay gratuities before their sailing at the previous rates, which are $14.50 for standard staterooms and $17.50 for suites.

I know of several people on my sailing who have called RC reservations, Crown and Anchor or club royale and have been told that they have no knowledge of an increase in gratuities and they will leave a note on your reservation that you called.  Another good reason to have a good travel agent.

I don’t have an issue with the increase, except maybe the higher increase on regular rooms in comparison to suites, my issue is the way RC communicated the increase.  I would think that a separate email should have been sent out to all existing reservations of the increase. Also, as it appears that no one working the phones at RC know about this, I’d think that it might have been better to inform them first of the change.  Especially since they’re giving you the option of prepaying at the booking rate.

Still looking forward to cruising no matter the rate.

I did not want to worry about what I am paying so I pre-paid all my gratuities for the next 2 years.  I know it is only $1.50 a day but I keep track of everything I spend on a cruise, and I do not like it when my numbers are not correct.  I also like having the daily gratuities cluttering my onboard account.

We are boarding Wonder Of The Seas exactly two weeks from today, and this is the first notice I've seen of an increase, nothing has shown up in my email inbox.  If true, looks like I have a choice, either I flush $21 down the toilet when we arrive, or I prepay my gratuities online tomorrow...

On the website now and not only is there no announcement visible about the increase, there also does not appear to be any possible way to prepay the gratuities from the website, other than selecting to do so when you first booked the cruise. God knows I can't find it, looks like I'm stuck waiting until they start answering the phones tomorrow morning to do it the old fashioned way.

I booked Wonder of the Seas for January this past Thursday and it says $14.50 per day for regular guests.  That was after the 7/15 date mentioned.  No where does it say that it will be increasing before my sail date.  I guess I can contact my travel agent to see if this is true.

• 3 weeks later...
Q

What is Royal Caribbean's service gratuities (tips) price and policy?

A

The automatic service gratuity is $14.50 USD per person, per day for guests in Junior Suites and below, or $17.50 USD per person, per day for guests in Grand Suites and above, applied to each guest’s SeaPass account on a daily basis.