Clear at American airlines terminal in Miami

BB1

1 hour ago, BB1 said:

Is there a Clear line at the American Airlines terminal in Miami? Does it save much time? Thanks

Kind of. American mostly departs from North Terminal, which does not have a CLEAR line. But some flights are from Central which does, and you can always go through Central and walk to North on the inside. 
As for time saving, it depends on the day. Usually, though. 

13 minutes ago, KristiZ said:

Kind of. American mostly departs from North Terminal, which does not have a CLEAR line. But some flights are from Central which does, and you can always go through Central and walk to North on the inside. 

Kind of a complicated question if you don't mind. We're getting back to Miami on a Monday morning.  We have tsa pre check, can get Clear  and have  a suite and can do self assist.  What would be a reasonable time to get an early flight. Thank you very much in advance 

10 minutes ago, BB1 said:

Kind of a complicated question if you don't mind. We're getting back to Miami on a Monday morning.  We have tsa pre check, can get Clear  and have  a suite and can do self assist.  What would be a reasonable time to get an early flight. Thank you very much in advance 

Ooh, I can’t help with that. I’ve actually never cruised out of Miami 😳 Hopefully someone else can chime in!

Keep in mind that I have not flown out of Miami in 2 1/2 years…

It is my impression that flying out of MIA on AA was pretty efficient even though we were not able to use Clear.  Pre-Check helped.  Not sure how to advise you since my experiences aren’t current.  Back in the before-times, I would have recommended that you not schedule a departure before 11:00.  Not sure if that advice is still appropriate.  Oftentimes there are early morning flights that are significantly less $$ than the later ones.  That is by design.  The airlines know that a large number of customers are going home from a cruise and cannot easily make those early flights so they take advantage of that situation.  We were always conservative when booking return flights and I am both stress and risk-averse, so I always scheduled no earlier than noon, knowing that the cost would be higher.  Luckily, we don’t have to worry about that anymore !

I’m not sure what it’s like now, but we flew out of Miami (on American) back in February, and PreCheck had to wait in the same security line as everyone else until you showed your boarding pass/passport…then you were given a card for expedited screening. 

The line was long.  

22 hours ago, KristiZ said:

Also depends on the "training" of the security staff.  

I don't know if you have a yearly subscription to Clear or not.  If not Clear cost $189 dollars per year (they raised their prices in 2022, the blamed inflation). MIA does have Clear stations but only at select number of checkpoints.  There may or may not be a Clear station at the terminal your are flying out of.

On the other hand TSA PreCheck only cost $85 dollars and is good for 5 years.

Even with as much as I used to travel before covid and the limited amount of travel I do now I don't think Clear is worth the cost.  In most cases Clear only saves a person 1 or 2 minutes verses TSA Pre.  Last week I traveled to Atlanta on my way home their was a line for both TSA Pre and Clear.  The people in the Clear line probably got through security 2-3 minutes faster than I did. The problem with Clear is the same problem TSA Pre has which isn't checking your documents/ scanning your face, the problem that causes the backups is people and their bags going through the actually screening x-ray process. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2022 at 2:53 PM, BB1 said:

Thanks. The problem is the large difference in times. One flight is just a little too early and the next one means hours of waiting. Such is life.

That is a typical problem at cruise port airports, especially for us and we are flying into ORD-Chicago which isn't a small airport, always in the top 5 in USA.