Booked inside cabin in Aug on a sailing with several available rooms… better to use Royal up, or wait till on board for any upgrades?

First RC cruise (several Disney cruises), and we usually don’t stay a lot in the room so it’s kind of low priority vs everything else for us (2 people)… that said if the price was right, or even free, we’d consider an upgrade room. Would it be better to bid for one now or just wait till the sailing? There seems to still be many rooms available when I go to look at mock-booking other rooms. Any experience stories with this welcome. Thanks!

I came from a background of Disney sailing where they would often upgrade us at the check in.  I have not seen that after leaving Disney cruising except for when they needed my room for a covid floor.  I am also like you where the room does not mean that much.  What I do is look at the price and see if it is worth it to me to upgrade.  I do not put in a bid to move up to Oceanview.  I will put in a bid for Balcony if it is what I consider a low price.  So, with all that said i would look at the minimum bid and decide if that is low enough to make you move.  If you make a bid, bid the minimum +$10.  Everyone bids the minimum.

Royal Up is not always available for every sailing…and sometimes the bids they want are pretty steep to begin with!  My Allure cruise for September recently sent the RU email and I wouldn’t even think about offering what they want as minimum bids!  Crazy high!  And as noted above there is absolutely no guarantee you would win!  
If you prefer a different room type and it is available for a decent additional cost to your inside room price…do your own upgrade and book it!  If you booked this cruise through Royal…call them and make the change.  If you used a TA, you will need to call them to make the change for you.