Lack of Nassau Excursions?

jrey51

I am on the NYE Symphony sailing this December / January, stopping in Nassau. On our cruise planner, I am only seeing two excursions options (one of which is sold out), compared to the usual couple dozen for our other ports.

Any particular reason for this - are there added restrictions for Nassau I am not aware of, or should they be adding more shortly? 

I don't mind booking third-party, but want to make sure I am not missing something that is limiting availability. 

43 minutes ago, jrey51 said:

I am on the NYE Symphony sailing this December / January, stopping in Nassau. On our cruise planner, I am only seeing two excursions options (one of which is sold out), compared to the usual couple dozen for our other ports.

Any particular reason for this - are there added restrictions for Nassau I am not aware of, or should they be adding more shortly? 

I don't mind booking third-party, but want to make sure I am not missing something that is limiting availability. 

Well one major thing is this a holiday sailing, so might have been a bunch of excursions but many might have sold out. Also, it is Nassau, which really isn't a popular port with seasoned cruisers. Newbies probably booked lots of things up. Some things might open up if there are cancellations. 

3 hours ago, Ryan79 said:

That is very odd. I am on Harmony for a January 2023 sailings and I have about 10 excursions popping up for Nassau. The sold out excursion still would show up. They don’t disappear, but just show “Sold Out”

It is not really odd, in the sense that Royal's cruise planner is odd. 

Yes "Sold Out" will show up but also sometimes the items will be pulled/disappear. Like the UDP will disappear because it is sold out, or third-party vendors on the excursion list will disappear. Things may disappear and show up at random times. Every cruise planner for each sailing may differ. Royals IT is a mess. 

I'm not a big fan of Nassau either and will typically stick around the ship when there.  I will say though that you should check out Viator or any of the other independent tour sites, the last time we were there we did a walking tour sampling local food and drinks along with a guide telling the history of what we were having.  This wasn't offered through the ship and I'll say it's the first time I didn't leave Nassau just feeling......Meh.😀

1 hour ago, Snowchaser said:

I will say though that you should check out Viator or any of the other independent tour sites

Agree 100%... for all ports. We haven't done an excursion through RC in forever (except when bad weather cancelled something we had booked in Alaska for before the actual cruise and we couldn't replace it any other way, not for lack of trying).

2 hours ago, Snowchaser said:

I'm not a big fan of Nassau either and will typically stick around the ship when there.  I will say though that you should check out Viator or any of the other independent tour sites, the last time we were there we did a walking tour sampling local food and drinks along with a guide telling the history of what we were having.  This wasn't offered through the ship and I'll say it's the first time I didn't leave Nassau just feeling......Meh.😀

We did this too and it was a really enjoyable tour. We've also walked to the Watling Distillery and toured that, which was interesting too. Can also just go into the gift shop there where they have flights and specialty drinks.

5 hours ago, Psycho and Barb said:

We enjoy a day on the ship whenever we stop in Nassau.  

We enjoy a mix - get off, walk around, grab some local food away from the touristy area, some local drinks, and then get back on and still have time on the quieter ship. It's a good mix.