Problems with Best Price Guarantee

Hello fellow cruisers,

I am having an issue with the Best Price Guarantee Program.

When I booked the cruise, the policy was that they would give you the lowest price up to 48 hours before the sail date.

However, recently Royal Caribbean significantly changed the policy to only allow change 48 hours after booking.

I called their customer service today and they refused to honor the policy in effect at time of booking, stating that the policy change applies to existing bookings.

That does not make sense to me, and I was wondering if any one here has any experience or suggestions on how to move forward.

To be honest, the attitude left a sour taste in my mouth that goes way beyond the money part.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I booked my past 8 cruises directly with royal caribbean & every time I saw a better price on there website I called royal caribbean and I asked if they could reprice with the a promotion that is different or betray than when I booked all of my past & future cruises if more than 1 of them had a better price or promotion.

When was the booking made? If it is a booking made after March 31st and sailing after Sept 30th your hands may be tied. Policies change all the time.

The best price guarantee allowed you to reprice all the way until 48hr before you sail, and they would refund the difference as OBC. You can call and get a reprice as long as you aren't with final payment for cruises past that Sept 30th date. That was the old policy.

The 48hr after actual booking refers to cancellation and changes in ship and itinerary without any fees. Make sure you are saying you want to honor a reprice and not change/cancel/rebook the booking. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advise.

I did call back and no luck.

To be clear, I was talking about the Best Price Guarantee Program, NOT the Cruise with Confidence

My booking did not not qualify for the Cruise with Confidence program.

My issue is that at the time I made my booking, the Best Price Guarantee Program was to give you the best price up to 48 hours prior to sail date. 

On June 1 (about 2 weeks after I booked) Royal changed their Best Price Guarantee Program to give you the best price within 48 hours of booking.

The difference between the 2 policies is huge, and my main gripe is that any guarantee that was given by Royal at time of booking can be later taken away without recourse.

The change pretty much makes the Best Price Guarantee Program useless, and does not give the peace of mind to encourage you to book as early as possible.

I guess this is another live and learn situation.

The best price guarantee has always (pre-covid) said "within 48 hours of booking" yet it was always easy to get a reprice at any time before final payment.

This is what it said in 2019:

When you reserve with Royal Caribbean and subsequently find a lower rate advertised by Royal Caribbean within 48 hours from the time the reservation is made, we will honor that lower eligible rate by applying an onboard credit to the reservation equal to 110% of the price difference.

The Best Price Guarantee policy was presented in the past with  the Cruise With Confidence policies.  I searched the RC website and found this information

What is the Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee Program?
A

Spot a better price on your booked cruise?

Our Best Price Guarantee lets you take advantage of a better price within 48 hours from the time you booked— just give us a call or use our online form. You’ll receive the difference as a non-refundable onboard credit inside final payment or rate adjustment outside final payment.

For more information on the Cruise with Confidence Best Price Guarantee for sailings booked on or before March 31, 2022, that depart on or before September 30, 2022, click here.

I read this to mean the Best Price Guarantee has been changed from what is used to be.  I also clicked on the link they suggested and found this:

If I move forward with the Cruise with Confidence Best Price Guarantee, when will I get my onboard credit?
A

The Cruise with Confidence Best Price Guarantee program allows guests to take advantage of better rates up to 48 hours prior to sail date! Guests must have booked on or before March 31, 2022, for sailings that depart before September 30, 2022 and they can request the difference of their booked rates versus any rate reduction. The difference in pricing will be added to the booking as an onboard credit, inside final payment, and it’ll be applied within 14 business days, and a new confirmation will be generated with the Onboard Credit value.

I read this as the former best price guarantee was rolled into Cruise With Confidence policies and has been subsequently discontinued. 

Today's RoyalCaribbeanBlog entry says

• "Royal Caribbean’s Best Price Guarantee Program guarantees you’ll receive the best price on your cruise if there's a price drop.
  • If you book a cruise 12 months in advance for $1000, for example, and later see the price has dropped to $750, you’ll receive the new, cheaper price provided your cruise is not past the final payment date."

But I also see what Toby found, above, that seems to say that as of April 1, 2022, you can only re-price within 48 hrs.

???   (just chiming in to say that I also found conflicting information and am not sure what the current rules are, or when they were posted if they changed.  The OP states he booked in May 2022)

The best price guarantee with the 48hr cutoff offers a percentage over value. Whereas you can always price drop. It is always about wording with customer service reps. Remember that for many, English is not their first language. So, if OP asked about best price guarantee, then they will quote the 48hr, 110% spiel. If OP called and said my cabin price has decreased, can I get the new rate. They will be able to do it as long as final payment hasn't been made. 

1 hour ago, PRMLVM said:

Is there a place on the website, or in our booking docs, that it says this? 

I believe it said on the invoice but that might have been before CWC went into effect after the restart. I don't think a lot of things are in writing and in my experience it really doesn't matter. Most companies will honor what they will to keep a customer, regardless of it is official policy or not. 

31 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

I believe it said on the invoice but that might have been before CWC went into effect after the restart. I don't think a lot of things are in writing and in my experience it really doesn't matter. Most companies will honor what they will to keep a customer, regardless of it is official policy or not. 

ok, thank you!  I just wanted to know if I was missing something.  I do see the re-pricing "policy" talked about a LOT and wondered what else I'm not seeing!   You're right about so much RCCL stuff not being in writing.

2 hours ago, PRMLVM said:

ok, thank you!  I just wanted to know if I was missing something.  I do see the re-pricing "policy" talked about a LOT and wondered what else I'm not seeing!   You're right about so much RCCL stuff not being in writing.

Repricing seems to be a thing of the past.  The prices of the cruises I have booked just go up.  I haven't seen a price drop in ages.  All my cruises are booked refundable now so it is a MOOT point.   Repricing used to be fun but it seems like a waste of time to check the prices anymore.

22 minutes ago, Dad2Cue said:

Repricing seems to be a thing of the past.  The prices of the cruises I have booked just go up.  I haven't seen a price drop in ages.  All my cruises are booked refundable now so it is a mute point.   Repricing used to be fun but it seems like a waste of time to check the prices anymore.

I wouldn't give up just because there haven't been price drops lately.  Royal goes through phases where it raises prices to test the market.  If booking trends survive that becomes the new price.  If sales falter they will eventually test price drops.  It's totally market driven.  

1 hour ago, Dad2Cue said:

Repricing seems to be a thing of the past.  The prices of the cruises I have booked just go up.  I haven't seen a price drop in ages.  All my cruises are booked refundable now so it is a mute point.   Repricing used to be fun but it seems like a waste of time to check the prices anymore.

My pet peeve here.  It’s a MOOT (no longer relevant) point not a MUTE (silent) point.  Sorry it’s like nails on a chalkboard to me!!