New to Diamond Questions

Sokko

He everybody, I just reached Diamond on my last cruise (7/10/22 sailing) and I had a few questions.  

What are the milestone recognitions and do they start at 140 points and not once you reach diamond?

What is the Chef's choice gift and do we receive that on every cruise or just once ?

Discounts on Balcony and Suite staterooms, how do I see the discounts?  I book myself through the Royal Caribbean website / call direct and it would help my decision making if I could know what to expect while comparing cruises.  I have tried a travel agent and did not have the experience that I expected (don't want to discuss in open forum).

Lastly the signature lapel pins.  Not sure we would wear them, but would mean alot to have.  We have never received any pins through Platinum or Emerald.  Did they do away with this?

Thanks in advance!!!!

16 minutes ago, Sokko said:

Lastly the signature lapel pins.  Not sure we would wear them, but would mean alot to have.  We have never received any pins through Platinum or Emerald.  Did they do away with this?

Thanks in advance!!!!

If you don’t get your pins , you can see the loyalty ambassador next time you are onboard about that. They may be able to give you the ones you’re missing as well. 

13 minutes ago, AlohaLivin said:

If you don’t get your pins , you can see the loyalty ambassador next time you are onboard about that. They may be able to give you the ones you’re missing as well. 

This.  We were on a B2B on Odyssey in February.  On week one we crossed the Diamond point threshold.  So we went to see the Loyalty Ambassador in week one so he could "approve/flag" us as Diamond for week two.  When putting the information in his computer, he asked if we wanted our pins now.  I replied yes because we have never gotten the pins for any level before.  He came back with Platinum, Emerald and Diamond pins for both of us.

17 minutes ago, dwp10mm said:

This.  We were on a B2B on Odyssey in February.  On week one we crossed the Diamond point threshold.  So we went to see the Loyalty Ambassador in week one so he could "approve/flag" us as Diamond for week two.  When putting the information in his computer, he asked if we wanted our pins now.  I replied yes because we have never gotten the pins for any level before.  He came back with Platinum, Emerald and Diamond pins for both of us.

Awesome, thanks for the tip!!

The website can be finicky on the discount.  I never book until I see that my C&A number was captured in the pricing and there is some corresponding discount shown.  Just make sure you are always putting it in the field for guest information.  There is also a pop-up option when looking at a cruise price that asks for details such as State and C&A number to ensure you are getting the best price.  When I booked Oasis for December, I swear I had to enter it and re-enter the information at least 5 times before the pricing screen showed it adding the balcony discount on my rooms.  Calling may be best be even then it depends on the quality of the rep you reach.  So far this year I'm 4 out of 6 on talking to quality reps.  So I know I'm winning that game based on other people's feedback on the various boards.  LOL.

Congrats

56 minutes ago, Sokko said:

He everybody, I just reached Diamond on my last cruise (7/10/22 sailing) and I had a few questions.  

What are the milestone recognitions and do they start at 140 points and not once you reach diamond?

What is the Chef's choice gift and do we receive that on every cruise or just once ?

Discounts on Balcony and Suite staterooms, how do I see the discounts?  I book myself through the Royal Caribbean website / call direct and it would help my decision making if I could know what to expect while comparing cruises.  I have tried a travel agent and did not have the experience that I expected (don't want to discuss in open forum).

Thanks in advance!!!!

Milestone recognition is blocks and yes, they start at 140pt. I believe when you cross that mark, they give you a crystal block with the ship of your crossing on it. 

Chef's choice would be each sailing, and I am sure you need to call the C&A number at least 5/7 days before your cruise to choose. 

So, the discount will be hit or miss. I am Diamond and I will price a cruise with and without my C&A number to see the savings. Sometimes the "sale" is better than the discount offered. On other occasions the discount showed up and help bring the cost down. You will be able to look at a price breakdown when you do a mock booking on the website.

I got double pins. I was doing a side to side to side when my tiers were changing so I got my platinum pin and emerald pin. Then C&A loyalty ambassador on Harmony was so nice, I got my Diamond pin because I was turning midway through that cruise. Then on Mariner, they gave me another pin because it was my first diamond cruise. 

20 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

Milestone recognition is blocks and yes, they start at 140pt. I believe when you cross that mark, they give you a crystal block with the ship of your crossing on it. 

Chef's choice would be each sailing, and I am sure you need to call the C&A number at least 5/7 days before your cruise to choose. 

So, the discount will be hit or miss. I am Diamond and I will price a cruise with and without my C&A number to see the savings. Sometimes the "sale" is better than the discount offered. On other occasions the discount showed up and help bring the cost down. You will be able to look at a price breakdown when you do a mock booking on the website.

I got double pins. I was doing a side to side to side when my tiers were changing so I got my platinum pin and emerald pin. Then C&A loyalty ambassador on Harmony was so nice, I got my Diamond pin because I was turning midway through that cruise. Then on Mariner, they gave me another pin because it was my first diamond cruise. 

Great info, thanks for answering everything!!!

1 hour ago, Sokko said:

The chefs choice gift is a plate of cookies you'll find in your stateroom on embarkation. They are them same cookies that are available to everyone at Sorrento's or the cafe in the solarium, or a Central Park Cafe, or (I'm guessing) the Windjammer. The chefs gift is different than the bottle of beer or bottles of wine you will receive next to your plate of cookies. Those come from the Loyalty Ambassador and the Beverage Team. There are some choices of what you would like to receive but those need to be designated beforehand. To be honest, Royal claims you can select the preferences online from My Cruises but the reality is the choices are no where to be found. You'll need to call C & A to make your selections. More honesty: your bottle of beer and wine selections will be warm. Your beer will need to be exchanged at a bar for a cold one and at a bar other than on the pool deck or solarium because glass is not permitted there. Chilling your white wine? Folks here will tell you they request a bucket of ice from their stateroom attendant or they drop it off at a Vintages, R Bar, or a specialty restaurant with a wink and a nod that you'll return to drink it there later. I've always found they are happy to put your stateroom number on your bottle and chill it for you. Professional cruisers bring a cooler and take care of business themselves.

Discounts? More flat out honesty: Royal has their booking so intentionally confusing it is really hard to see what discounts are really applied. Oh, you might find some $ numbers written on lines of your booking confirmation and if that makes you feel good--great. But actually determining any discount or an amount of discount is less than straight arrow. As a seasoned cruiser of Royal you'll learn that you just plain need to look at that bottom line/ out-the-door price and ask yourself "Is this acceptable?"

More Chef's Choice comments: Even though the cookies are complimentary at many venues and are served in your stateroom unappetizingly (you'll scratch your head how the word "chef" is associated with them); this is a BETTER gift than what they gave out previously...the bag of sugared biscotti from some third party vendor that used plastic so thick the bag was hard to open. And, who would put cookies in solid black packaging? To answer the question, the same guy who thought some dough with the smallest amount of sugar could pass as being called a cookie. YUCK!

Now previous to that, the Chef's amenity go-to was a plate of chocolate cover strawberries with a doily. That was hospitality!

41 minutes ago, bobroo said:

More Chef's Choice comments: Even though the cookies are complimentary at many venues and are served in your stateroom unappetizingly (you'll scratch your head how the word "chef" is associated with them); this is a BETTER gift than what they gave out previously...the bag of sugared biscotti from some third party vendor that used plastic so thick the bag was hard to open. And, who would put cookies in solid black packaging? To answer the question, the same guy who thought some dough with the smallest amount of sugar could pass as being called a cookie. YUCK!

Now previous to that, the Chef's amenity go-to was a plate of chocolate cover strawberries with a doily. That was hospitality!

On the Mariner last month, we received the cookies one day and some small desserts, including a couple chocolate strawberries, another time.  They looked like the same desserts we saw in the Diamond Lounge.

32 minutes ago, ChessE4 said:

On the Mariner last month, we received the cookies one day and some small desserts, including a couple chocolate strawberries, another time.  They looked like the same desserts we saw in the Diamond Lounge.

Yep, can't complain about a small something being left in your cabin but it's nothing you won't find elsewhere on the ship for free.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Adriana said:

Does anyone wear their pin? I hear different perspectives on this. If I were a pinnacle (one day!), pretty sure I would wear it out of sheer joy! Gotta admit, I am pretty excited about my first Diamond cruise coming up. 

I don't even remember getting a pin for Diamond.

Getting close to D+, won't be wearing that pin if that's a thing.

1 hour ago, Adriana said:

Does anyone wear their pin? I hear different perspectives on this. If I were a pinnacle (one day!), pretty sure I would wear it out of sheer joy! Gotta admit, I am pretty excited about my first Diamond cruise coming up. 

I still have my D+ pin on my backpack.  It kind of blends in but frequent Royal cruisers may spot it.  

On 9/5/2022 at 4:08 PM, twangster said:

I still have my D+ pin on my backpack.  It kind of blends in but frequent Royal cruisers may spot it.  

Agree that anything other than the Pin badge is tough to see. DH puts his Diamond plus pin at the bottom of his strap badge holder, but it is hardly noticeable. There needs to be something useful to do with all the pins though!

On 9/5/2022 at 1:45 PM, Adriana said:

Having received my Platinum and Emerald pins this past year I just stuck them on the lanyard that I use for my Seapass Card and that is about the extent of the use they get.

On 7/28/2022 at 8:54 AM, Sokko said:

From what I understand on the chart, milestone recognitions are achieved once reaching a certain number of points. I think this is because the gaps between Diamond to Diamond Plus and Diamond Plus to Pinnacle are larger and will take more time to get there.

Pins are supposed to be delivered to your stateroom on your first cruise after reaching the points. But boy does this seem to be hit or miss.

On our cruise last year we HAD hit Platinum and WOULD BE hitting Emerald upon completion, but we got BOTH pins in the room day 1.  I think if you don't have them, you can get them by talking to the C&A people on board ....if you can ever find them at the desk.

On 9/5/2022 at 1:45 PM, Adriana said:

I enjoy wearing my pins. I put them all on my lanyard. Right now it's just Platinum and Emerald - Diamond will come on our 2024 cruise. Will probably stop wearing them all if I ever reach Pinnacle

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Lgdavid said:

I will reached emerald on my last sailing and will reach diamond after my next sailing. My question is what is the milestone recognition I am going to receive that’s mentioned on the list?

Milestone recognitions are gifts given for reaching a certain number of points between what it takes to get to Diamond and Diamond +, Diamond + and Pinnacle and beyond.

From the fine print at the bottom of the benefit page:

"3 A commemorative gift will be delivered to you during the sailing on which you attain your 140, 210, 280 and 350 cruise points and on every 70 cruise points thereafter. One (1) gift is awarded per relationship. Any gifts not accepted onboard by the member will be considered forfeited and will not be shipped to the member post-sailing."

2 hours ago, Lgdavid said:

I will reached emerald on my last sailing and will reach diamond after my next sailing. My question is what is the milestone recognition I am going to receive that’s mentioned on the list?

Welcome to the boards! The milestone recognition gift is a glass block with the image of the ship you reach the point total engraved in it.

2 hours ago, KristiZ said:

Welcome to the boards! The milestone recognition gift is a glass block with the image of the ship you reach the point total engraved in it.

You do not receive a crystal block for reaching Diamond. You get your first crystal block at 140 points and then one every 70 points thereafter.

You get a Diamond pin, a letter, and that might be it.

1 hour ago, OCSC Mike said:

You do not receive a crystal block for reaching Diamond. You get your first crystal block at 140 points and then one every 70 points thereafter.

You get a Diamond pin, a letter, and that might be it.

Correct. I assumed the poster was asking specifically about the "Milestone Recognition" gift listed in the Diamond benefits.