No More Pre-Cruise Testing for Vaccinated guests on voyages less than 6 nights staring August 8th!

26 minutes ago, AspiringCruisePlanner said:

To me, it sounds like they are allowing all unvaccinated to cruise and not doing any percentage limitation, but thats not entirely clear. Why so vague Mr. Bayley?

I read it that they are going in that direction but havent figured out the mechanics of how, so they are announcing the change without really announcing the change.

14 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Carnival came out with its changes that essentially mirror RC's

Carnival is sticking with the 3 day testing window for the vaccinated; but have now extended that to the unvaccinated. 
They have dropped the PCR requirement for unvaxxed children, and also dropped check in testing for that group; they can now do Antigen 3 days prior like everyone else. 

1 hour ago, TXcruzer said:

Carnival is sticking with the 3 day testing window for the vaccinated; but have now extended that to the unvaccinated. 
They have dropped the PCR requirement for unvaxxed children, and also dropped check in testing for that group; they can now do Antigen 3 days prior like everyone else. 

I saw that CCL dropped the PCR for unvaxxed. I am hopeful RCL will reconsider this and allow an antigen for unvaxxed as well. 

Very unfair for vaccinated guests on voyages that are seven nights or longer. Testing is a joke but major roadblock in making plans to go on cruises. It must be eliminated if RCL wants normalcy and be competitive with others.

10 hours ago, TXcruzer said:

I have not seen this change to 3 days.  Maybe it will be announced next week.

I've been looking for this announcement as well, will make it so much easier for those travelling overseas to board a ship, a helpful step towards no testing for all.

Not sure of logic here personally.  Surely length of cruise irrelevant with covid testing.  Either everyone or none at all.  The whole aim of vacs is to prevent serious illness.  It does NOT stop you catching & passing on, so again, logic of extra testing of those who have both vacs bot no booster, seems odd as anyone regardless of status can carry, pass covid on.  RC trying to tick boxes but come on RC, the CDC have said testing now not required, so choose...all or none. This will anger those on 6nights & above, as no logic.  We all know its our own risk if we choose to holiday, go on cruise with covid now part of the fabric of the world.  Even someone fully upto date, could bring covid on board, where pre cruise test hasn't picked up, as maybe slightly too early to detect.  Family member had last week & showed neg for 3days even though classic symptoms.  4th day tested +.  

This is my opinion only,  so I'm nit saying 1 persons view right or wrong. I am fully up to date on vacs & was very anxious of covid. Still not keen to catch it but realise my own risk.

Saw a different spin on this on one of the "lesser" cruise sites (didnt catch which), that the expansion is to unvaccinated over 12 WITH a certificate of recovery from within the last 90 days, which would be a much lesser expansion.

Curious to see the actual policy this week to clarify.

4 hours ago, Primmer said:

This will anger those on 6nights & above

Finally someone says it!

All of the negative posts about the change this is the real reason! 

People were happy enough to accept the rules when making booking but now because they miss out by a day or 2 its not fare on them! 

Lets say it was 8 days and above would all those posting negative comments actually care about changes? Don't think the would because its not their cruise! 

These changes even though small are finally a step in the right direction and should be welcomed. 

5 hours ago, Primmer said:

Not sure of logic here personally.  Surely length of cruise irrelevant with covid testing.  Either everyone or none at all.  The whole aim of vacs is to prevent serious illness.  It does NOT stop you catching & passing on, so again, logic of extra testing of those who have both vacs bot no booster, seems odd as anyone regardless of status can carry, pass covid on.  RC trying to tick boxes but come on RC, the CDC have said testing now not required, so choose...all or none. This will anger those on 6nights & above, as no logic.  We all know its our own risk if we choose to holiday, go on cruise with covid now part of the fabric of the world.  Even someone fully upto date, could bring covid on board, where pre cruise test hasn't picked up, as maybe slightly too early to detect.  Family member had last week & showed neg for 3days even though classic symptoms.  4th day tested +.  

This is my opinion only,  so I'm nit saying 1 persons view right or wrong. I am fully up to date on vacs & was very anxious of covid. Still not keen to catch it but realise my own risk.

My take is that even though we all have a public health responsibility to avoid passing on any disease, and Covid is now one of the most transmissible bugs we could pass on, too many people have just given up.  Travel businesses, I believe, are trying to develop protocols in a world in which some people are thoughtful/compliant and some are more self-centered.  I agree with you that we each make our own risk assessments and decide what to do.  I certainly don't want to be a hermit.  I want to get out there, but still be safe.  I am banking on the next booster being more equipped to mitigate latest variants.  I have an 8N cruse in the fall, and I am willing to self-test even if rules change.  Vamos a ver...

22 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Yes. 

This from the RC website for cruises from Seattle  Still says test age of 2 days for vaccinated persons. I looked today 7/31/2022.

• Vaccinated guests must show a negative result for a PCR or antigen test taken no more than 2 days before boarding day. Kids age 11 and younger who have been vaccinated may present proof of full vaccination and follow the testing protocols for vaccinated guests.
  • Unvaccinated kids age 2-11 must show a negative test result for a PCR test (not antigen) taken no more than 3 days before boarding day.
  • Unvaccinated kids' pre-cruise test cannot be taken on boarding day, because that may affect the sample taken during the kids' test at the terminal.
  • Guests under 2 years of age do not need to complete a pre-cruise test.

2 hours ago, Toby said:

This from the RC website for cruises from Seattle  Still says test age of 2 days for vaccinated persons. I looked today 7/31/2022.

• Vaccinated guests must show a negative result for a PCR or antigen test taken no more than 2 days before boarding day. Kids age 11 and younger who have been vaccinated may present proof of full vaccination and follow the testing protocols for vaccinated guests.
  • Unvaccinated kids age 2-11 must show a negative test result for a PCR test (not antigen) taken no more than 3 days before boarding day.
  • Unvaccinated kids' pre-cruise test cannot be taken on boarding day, because that may affect the sample taken during the kids' test at the terminal.
  • Guests under 2 years of age do not need to complete a pre-cruise test.

The new rules don't kick in until August 8. Tomorrow should give us formal explanation of the new protocols but the way i interpret bayley's facebook post, everyone would be on a 3 day window

25 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

The new rules don't kick in until August 8. Tomorrow should give us formal explanation of the new protocols but thr way  interpret bayley's facebook post, everyone would be on a 3 day window

I hope you are correct! 

Jumping on August 8th Independence "Booze Cruise" out of Port Canaveral.  It's a weekday Booze Cruise, so it's a little more subdued.  😜 No testing, PTL.  If I    get the sniffles after or during I    will lean on the 99.7% and rising math in my favor and not complain ONCE.  More danger navigating departure traffic.  Also, Whiskey works wonders on a scratchy throat.  Now in regards to the price of the Drink Package!!!!  Wow, what the heck!!!???

"Travel and business, I believe, are trying to develop protocols in a world in which some people are thoughtful/compliant and some are more self-centered."

Although I    am not sure who you are pointing a finger at.  It actually sounds like the world and life we walk daily while not on cruise ships.  It has to or we come to a grinding halt.

I    do believe we all need to act more thoughfully towards another.  I    do believe we need to be compliant to rules and laws in place.  I    do beleive we all need to act less self-centered and fearful.  Those words can be lived by and exhibited daily.  Whether it is on-line, at the restaurant, on the phone, on the road (especially on the road), on vacation, at work; however, they are not synonyms or meant to be used together to fit as an absolute for your narrative by which you judge others.  We seem to have trouble landing on a common definition of those words.  We experience it everywhere, even in this blog/message board.

RCCL, is trying to walk the fine line catering to their diverse perspective client base.  Balancing between customers who think they are being too cautious/slow/illogical verse too cavalier/careless.  In the end, put all the warm fuzzies aside.  It's math to RCCL while they balance a short and long game.

2 hours ago, CharmMicah68 said:

"Travel and business, I believe, are trying to develop protocols in a world in which some people are thoughtful/compliant and some are more self-centered."

Although I    am not sure who you are pointing a finger at.  It actually sounds like the world and life we walk daily while not on cruise ships.  It has to or we come to a grinding halt.

Not pointing fingers at anyone, just stating that Royal and others are trying to figure out how to balance everything, just as you and I are.  I prefer to wear masks indoors so I don't have a negative impact on others.  You'll decide what you want to do when you cruise.

Well, we understand the frustration for anyone already booked 6 days or more; or a date off or something.  But let's be honest...how many of us really thought the cruise lines [much less RCI] would do away with all testing 'immediatly' after CDC got off their backs?  We didn't. We thought we'd be testing to the end of the year.  So....we celebrated by booking the first 5 day cruise we could find that we liked [on Mariner 8/29 out of canaveral].  We'll probably still have to test for our 7 day on Symphony in October...but this is how we celebrated!!!  Just book a 5 day cruise, ha and YAY!  Just think, no more sweating out test results just 2 days away from the end to months of planning, expense, expectation, and building excitement...all the while realizing a stupid positive [real or false] would put an end to all of it at the last minute.  Boy, will that CDC ever know what they've put people through for cruising?  So, that's our vote; time for celebration no matter what.  We have come to hate government [just had to put that in, ha].  We used to trust it; now we cruise to get away from the insanity.  Just sayin'...