Masks on Ships

55 minutes ago, Morganno said:

Oh which part isn't true? 

I'm only going to state this once and then I'm tagging out, as I don't wish things to devolve: vaccines do not create a impermeable bubble around the person vaccinated. They simply make any COVID-based illness one contracts potentially less severe, in part through reducing viral load because one's immune system recognizes and therefore it more efficient combatting the virus.

Reduced viral load also reduces transmission of the virus. Simply: an unvaccinated person who is carrying the virus carries it longer; deeper in their respiratory system; sheds more viral particles; and has a greater incidence of viral particles to shed. This includes to fully vaccinated passengers, who can then contract a potentially milder form of the disease.  However, COVID-19 *REGARDLESS OF SEVERITY* has shown a significant chance of follow-on issues including so-called "Long COVID" and other concerns. ("Significant" in the statistical meaning, e.g., a 2.5 to 5 percent incidence of severe long-term effects that increases further with each diagnosis).

Each person should consider their own risk factors and health concerns - as well as those around them - to determine what if any decisions they make regarding exposure. Cruise if you want to - I am, masked up where possible. But don't put out there "it's not harmful" because that is not true.  

5 hours ago, Morganno said:

Unvaccinated people pose no risk to those vaccinated apart from an increased chance of having to turn the ship around due to a medical emergency. This is why cruise lines have the policy in place. 

I agree, I think the cruiselines main concern right now overloading their medical crew or having someone seriously ill and having to change the whole ships plans.  Which is why I think they will stick to a certain % and lower it over time as they see medical staff not overloaded.

14 hours ago, Riley said:

I'm only going to state this once and then I'm tagging out, as I don't wish things to devolve: vaccines do not create a impermeable bubble around the person vaccinated. They simply make any COVID-based illness one contracts potentially less severe, in part through reducing viral load because one's immune system recognizes and therefore it more efficient combatting the virus.

Reduced viral load also reduces transmission of the virus. Simply: an unvaccinated person who is carrying the virus carries it longer; deeper in their respiratory system; sheds more viral particles; and has a greater incidence of viral particles to shed. This includes to fully vaccinated passengers, who can then contract a potentially milder form of the disease.  However, COVID-19 *REGARDLESS OF SEVERITY* has shown a significant chance of follow-on issues including so-called "Long COVID" and other concerns. ("Significant" in the statistical meaning, e.g., a 2.5 to 5 percent incidence of severe long-term effects that increases further with each diagnosis).

Each person should consider their own risk factors and health concerns - as well as those around them - to determine what if any decisions they make regarding exposure. Cruise if you want to - I am, masked up where possible. But don't put out there "it's not harmful" because that is not true.  

Thanks for the helpful reminder.

12 hours ago, GatorCruiser said:

I would love to know the numbers on how many pre cruise tests are positive and lead to one canceling their cruise. How many cases do the pre cruise Covid tests catch and prevent from boarding? 

When we sailed on Azamara Quest last Dec (from Miami), we had 2 guests tap out at the terminal pre-test. I think only 368 or so sailed at that time.     (At that time, Azamara was testing everyone just prior to boarding).  By the end of the 15 day cruise, there were around 19 guests who where infected and in quarantine cabins.  The Capt was good at keeping everyone informed of "the numbers".  Sailed Celeb and RCL since then and no idea how many have tapped out prior to leaving.