Masks on Ships

We were scheduled to take a cruise in April 2020 and it was cancelled due to the pandemic.  We are now venturing back to our love of cruises next month but still worry about COVID.  Can any recent travelers provide info on mask wearing amongst passengers?  I'm interested in knowing if my group of 4 will be the only ones in masks or if a good amount of cruisers still choose to wear them in indoor spaces and at events?  Thanks so much!

1 hour ago, LLW2683 said:

We were scheduled to take a cruise in April 2020 and it was cancelled due to the pandemic.  We are now venturing back to our love of cruises next month but still worry about COVID.  Can any recent travelers provide info on mask wearing amongst passengers?  I'm interested in knowing if my group of 4 will be the only ones in masks or if a good amount of cruisers still choose to wear them in indoor spaces and at events?  Thanks so much!

On the Harmony last week, they were people wearing masks but not a huge amount but no one seemed to be out of place. All the RCI employees wore masks and a button with what they looked like without their mask.  You just do what you feel comfortable doing.

As @Mattsaid, it will vary by sailing. On Ovation in May, my estimate would be right at the 20% he mentioned. On a short Freedom sailing earlier this month, it was less than 10% from what I observed. The following week on Explorer, the number was closer to 30%. In each case, that percentage also varied by venue.

Your party will definitely not be the only ones wearing masks.

Here is a suggestion for you! I wear my mask on the ships in crowded areas - elevators, lines, shows etc. To make it easier I have my mask on a lanyard so I can easily put it on and off. We have found this works well for us. We have done three cruises since Covid and have not gotten sick yet! We also make sure to test at home five days after returning from a cruise. 

2 hours ago, LLW2683 said:

Although we are twice vaccinated and twice boosted, given the increase in this particularly contagious variant we are going to mask on the plane and in the airport for our upcoming B2B. We will have masks with us and may mask in the theater or other crowded areas of the ship as well. It is what we believe is best for our health and we also hope to try to avoid Covid jail on a ship for our summer vacation!  Honestly, since I’ve been masking during Covid I have avoided both cold and flu viruses and that has been wonderful (because even a bad cold can ruin a solid 2 weeks for me). Enjoy your cruise 😊

This is what we did and what we experienced in June:

Prior to flying to the port city and prior to boarding, we were masked as much as humanly possible.  We were masked all the way up to boarding the ship.  At that point we figured that since people have to test negative to board, and we made it onto the ship, we could relax a little.

We did not go entirely unmasked until about the second day or so. BUT---having been recently boosted and having had covid twice prior to sailing, we felt okay with taking masks off.  Look at it this way, we were in the indoor pool alot of the times, at the windjammer, in the bars, etc.  social distancing and masks were minimal.  If we were going to get Covid, we would get it masked or not (remember, you are taking masks off to drink, eat, swim, etc.)

On board, about 15% of people were masked.  

Once off board, we found out about 15 to 20% of the people on board got covid.  There is no way of telling if they got it on board, at the port cities, or at the airports going home.  

We did not get covid.  

I am a big advocate for masks but I weighed the risks v. rewards, kept prudent on protocols until boarding, and then let my guard down and won the gamble.  This is NOT advice.  This is my account of our June sailing.

1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

On Freedom right now and while masks are optional, there is still a small percentage of people we have seen wearing one. 

I love Freedom. Have been on her three times this year. It’s a quick getaway when my breaks are only a week. We have a family cruise next year on Freedom. We have 16 cabins booked so far.

I’ve noticed a lot of passengers wearing masks when getting off the ship while docked in Bermuda.  I actually was wondering if Bermuda still requires masks!  I am cruising on Adventure to Bermuda in 16 days so I watch the Bermuda PTZ webcam from time to time 😄.  I will bring a few masks with me but do not plan to wear unless I feel it is absolutely necessary.

I still wear my mask on any sort of public transportation. So, flying and when I have to take the train to a meeting. I don't judge anyone who does what they feel they need to do to continue to stay safe and healthy. I am sure mask wearing on ships will be fairly low, that won't matter, you just do you. 

10 hours ago, LLW2683 said:

Last month we were two of probably 10 people I saw wearing masks (other than crew).  We wore masks everywhere indoors, but removed them to dine, dance, or have a cocktail.  We wore them on excursion buses.  Despite our precautions, my wife caught Covid on our last day, perhaps due to the excursion on day 5 -- we honestly don't know.  It was too late to check with medical as we were departing in the morning (with masks), but she tested herself on our return home.

I'd encourage you to wear masks, but it isn't a guarantee.  There are just too many droplets flying around indoors on a cruise ship...

Despite my wife's experience, we generally felt safe on the ship.  Hot tour buses that lacked AC were a different issue -- go to the beach instead!!

It sounds to me like your concern includes what other people might think.

I have been on a lot of cruises since the restart...many without the mask mandate. There were always people who were masked. It's not an unusual thing. I have never seen nor heard anyone commenting about someone else masking up. It's just accepted as an individual choice...as it should be. For me, even though there's mask-wearing everywhere, masks are barely noticeable anymore. It's just a part of life. Do whatever makes you feel safe. Everybody else does.

Enjoy your cruise!

I just got off 7 days on the Indy. Saw maybe 50 passengers with masks on - most incorrectly worn or taken off multiple times. Generally do what makes you comfortable. I only wore/wear a mask when absolutely forced -  except when robbing banks or trick or treating. Caught COVID once on a B2B in January. 

On 7/28/2022 at 7:22 AM, LLW2683 said:

No one is going to blink twice if you're wearing a mask, do whatever makes you comfortable and have a great time!

I wear a mask on board, off board most of the time.  I "break the ice" if getting looks that I have really bad teeth (not that I do), this makes me personally feel a bit safer.  Up to date on the shots (my choice), and I know people that are sick/ and or had covid that have either not been vaccinated or have been vaccinated - finally something that will not/does not discriminant. 

We have cut way back on travel and again our choice so far we are not sick and not had covid, and hopefully will stay that way.

17 minutes ago, sammy79 said:

Just got back last week. We wore masks on the plane but not on the cruise. Maybe 10% wore masks. At this point, no one cares if you do or not. Enjoy your vacation!

That's one thing that's unique about the cruise demographic.  We all have our opinions on things but on board everyone is a best friend.  Well except for chair hogs.

10 hours ago, kennzers said:

Does anyone know if there will be "Vaccinated only" spots on the ship now that maybe up to 20% unvaccinated passengers will be allowed on? Or separate sea pass cards reflecting as much?

While we don't yet know the details of the new policy that will be announced this week, I wouldn't expect vaccinated vs unvaccinated areas. They did away with that concept months ago.

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

I think people are reading too deep into the 20% thing. It sounds like a mere guideline or target number than a hard and fast requirement.  With ships already above 90, 80% seems a pretty easy number anyway to not have to turn anyone away

Since we're waiting on the update that will surely correct what I'm about to post, I'll say this purely for the sake of discussion.

The 20% (or whatever percentage it happens to be) includes unvaccinated kids under 12, which were already sailing at least 10%, right? I think that's the concern with an overrun of too many unvaccinated adults AND younger children competing for the space.

Again, I have no idea if that scenario is true at all. But I suspect it's what some people are alluding to with respect to being turned away.

19 minutes ago, Matt said:

Since we're waiting on the update that will surely correct what I'm about to post, I'll say this purely for the sake of discussion.

The 20% (or whatever percentage it happens to be) includes unvaccinated kids under 12, which were already sailing at least 10%, right? I think that's the concern with an overrun of too many unvaccinated adults AND younger children competing for the space.

Again, I have no idea if that scenario is true at all. But I suspect it's what some people are alluding to with respect to being turned away.

Yes, I respect the concerns with the new thresholds.  I just don't think it will be an issue for the large majority of cruises.