Quantum

While I think most of the post were just offering up anecdotal advice, you seem to be feeling attacked when they don't agree. I know that wasn't/isn't my intention, but you replied very snippy to me and anyone who tried to offer any insight. 

There is a huge difference in saying "flying to port doesn't work for me" and making grandiose statements like "if you can't drive to port, don't bother."

It is indeed a privilege to be able to drive to a port as limited states have that option. 

If you do decide to sail Royal again, I hope things are better for you. 

This whole post sounds like a person who goes to Disney World and has a miserable time with their family because of poor timing.  It's like a person who arrives at the MagicKingdom at noon when it's packed and complains that there are lines for all the big rides, and they even waited over an hour to eat in the hot sun.  Then, they complain that the ride they really wanted to ride was broken.  While another (more prepared family) had their family wake up early and arrive at 7:30AM and gets on  multiple rides.  The second family ate their meals at off peak times and barely waited at all. Yes, their favorite ride was still broken, but because they ate at non peak times, arrived before the crowds, and went back and enjoyed the pool in the heat of the day.  This family enjoyed their vacation.  Each family went to the same place, but had a completely different experience because of the timing.  

One of OP many complaints, was having jet lag.  Maybe a day for everyone to nap and recover from that, would have fixed a lot of the negative perspective.  Yes, not seeing the glacier was still disappointing, but their perspective would have been different.  

Personally, if that would have been me on this vacation.  I would have been thanking God that no-one in my party had to be part of the families that had to have a medical emergency or a death while on vacation....But, after having my own child murdered in a school shooting, I have a different perspective then most other people....

Having recently cruised on Quantum (June 27th to Alaska) with someone in a scooter here's my thoughts: 

1.  Quantum class ships aren't for everyone -  Frankly, they are my least favorite, but it was a deal too good to pass up.  That being said, there's always something to do, the scenery was amazing, and the staff, while short, does everything they can to make your cruise enjoyable. 

2.  Travelling with someone in a wheelchair or scooter can be a challenge -  You have to plan ahead and make certain accomodations no matter what ship your on.  Elevators are crowded, leave early to make sure you have plenty of time.  If your passenger isn't able to get in and out of the room without assistance, again, plan ahead.  Your stateroom attendant will also get you a doorstop to help (you might have to ask).   With regards to ports, what everyone else says - This doesn't matter if you're on a cruise or doing something land-based.  It's still difficult and requires planning. 

3.  While the food isn't what it used to be in the "good ole days" perhaps, I never had anything that wasn't edible and surely never went hungry.  Again, plan ahead. 

4.  Nickle and dime...If you've been on cruises you know darned well that unless you're on one of the luxury all-inclusive cruises, you're going to pay extra for extra things.  Simply looking at the cruise planner tells you what you would pay extra for.  There's plenty that's included and the extras remain to be your choice. 

I just want to say that the concept of being "nickel and dimed" is prevalent through all types of vacations that aren't all-inclusive. I don't think RCG is worse than any other line. I too agree that when the crew gets more experienced the food will start to taste better. 

9 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

I just want to say that the concept of being "nickel and dimed" is prevalent through all types of vacations that aren't all-inclusive. I don't think RCG is worse than any other line. I too agree that when the crew gets more experienced the food will start to taste better. 

More manpower too,so my tuna and pork chops aren't overcooked 

I offer my apologies for any offense taken.  I was not intending to be in attack mode.

Hopefully, you took the substance of my comments and thought about them through.  It is one thing to state something was not personally agreeable with you @Kathkartand it is entirely something else to make false or misunderstood facts.  

We are here trying to guide and offer personal opinions and facts for the betterment of new cruisers and even experienced cruisers.  If someone posts that the MDR breakfast is only offered at 8:00am, which is false, then others may read that and think its true.  

I truly hope that one way or another, you give cruising, and specifically Royal Caribbean, another chance, with some of the comments, suggestions, and advice provided for here.

This whole blog is kind of biased. I am sorry for any offense anyone may have taken to my comments. I have been called “privileged “ “uneducated “ “didn’t do my research” and I worked through an excellent reputable travel agent. I am done defending myself and responding to mean texts. Do you people work for the cruise line? This blog is biased . I am getting compensation from RC. Do you think that would happen if the cruise was as it was supposed to be? I feel comfortable with saying let’s agree to disagree. As previously stated we had a good time regardless of the disappointing ship. When the ships get too big something in the experience is lost. But judge for yourself.

There were 9 adults in my party and 2 got food poisoning. The alcohol package tacks on extra charges for certain wines. Mixed drinks are basically fruit juice. I cannot believe I am wasting my time responding to this stupid crap. I love the person who said I was privileged bc I live on a coast. I am not someone who is spoiled and rich and expects everyone to cater to me. I am saying going to work was easier than this cruise experience. We flew from east coast to go on this cruise and prices were sky high bc of gas issue. Before judging me take a look at yourself.

This blog is absolutely biased and rightfully so. It was created and patronized by royal fans. Most people in here are realistic about any royal shortcomings generally speaking however. We view royal like a family member, we can talk smack about when appropriate but will defend it to others when appropriate as well.  

Ok, I get it, gas prices are high and we decided, at the last moment,  to fly from the Gulf Coast of Texas to Seattle. I don’t understand why you chose this forum to complain about that issue - the high price of gas has nothing to do with cruise ships or cruise lines, including Royal Caribbean. Not only that, you or someone you know chose to go on an Alaskan cruise- no one twisted your arm.  You could have switched to a cruise that sails from a port on the East Coast. Everyone not living on the West Coast has to decide whether the ability  to visit Alaska is  worth the extra travel expenses - just a thorn to go along with the roses. 

I am not sure what you were trying to accomplish by submitting your original post. You stated that you enjoyed the cruise but pretty much complained about the food, the itinerary being changed (due to a medical emergency), having to stop in B.C., the fact that someone caught Covid, and so on and so  on. What part of the cruise or Alaska did you enjoy? I’m sure some of us would appreciate more details about the positive experiences.  

Or were  you merely venting and expecting sympathy? 

10 minutes ago, Kathkart said:

All I can say is wow! So passionate! Seriously can’t believe anyone can be so defensive of a multimillion dollar company…… unless they are being compensated ……in some way……

That’s a very insulting thing to say, in my opinion. May be you could read through more of this forum to better understand the community before making such accusations.
Dozens of members, visiting regularly, posting hundreds or even thousands of times.  Sharing their knowledge and experience to help others enjoy their vacation.  Group cruises to gather with other members in the real world all based on their love for cruising.  Now you judge these people, and make accusations? Wow.

On 7/29/2022 at 5:55 PM, twangster said:

Improper expectations for Sky and Star class included.  Star class doesn't warrant unreasonable expectations.  Higher level of service sure, but that is not infinite.  I've had four Star bookings cancel during the pandemic and another coming up later this year.  Don't judge people who don't sail Sky or Star every cruise.  

Looks who's judging.  

Ignored.  

Sorry if I offended you. The OP only stated their dissatisfaction. I only asked you to look at it from a different perspective. 

3 hours ago, Kathkart said:

All I can say is wow! So passionate! Seriously can’t believe anyone can be so defensive of a multimillion dollar company…… unless they are being compensated ……in some way……

Yep, by rising in ranks in their loyalty program from cruising. 😛

I would hope that you didn't take anything and everything as arguments, insults and accusations. This is a FAN site, so when things aren't stated correctly, someone will often correct you to ensure misinformation is not spread. If/when it happens to me, I don't get offended, I take it and expand my knowledge base.

I would hope that you browse the board and stay, especially if you plan to cruise Royal in some capacity. The wealth of knowledge available is incomparable. 

1 hour ago, Ampurp85 said:

would hope that you browse the board and stay, especially if you plan to cruise Royal in some capacity. The wealth of knowledge available is incomparable. 

Just so we're clear- I first came to this website after doing a Google search for RC Freedom of the Seas reviews. In all honesty, I was looking for bad reviews of a 4-night cruise that my sister convinced me to go on, so I could prepare her for all the ways we'd be let down. I don't care if you judge me... that's how i found this site.

My family and I use to go on 7-14 day cruises (Norwegian & Holland America) back in the 90s and early 2000s. Was never a fan of RC since we weren't refunded for a very expensive cruise we had to cancel when a family member got sick (That's when we learned about cruise insurance). 

Cruises have changed so much since then. It's more expensive, they have specialty restaurants now, ships are bigger, there's more people (obviously), etc...Add in the pandemic, so there's a staff shortage, more steps needed for embarkation, etc...

Okay so back to the 4-night cruise on Freedom we took at the beginning of June...

I didn't want to go because I didn't want to get Covid and I just wasn't into cruising. It always seemed like a big production and a royal pain in the ass. I understand people love them, but I just wasn't one of them. I dreaded the disembarkation process, the formal nights, the traveling from Chicago to San Diego, Miami, or Fort Lauderdale, the muster drill, and so on.

Boy was I surprised when I learned (from this site) that the days of putting on a life vest and scrambling to your lifeboat station are long gone. Also, disembarkation was simple because after reading through a thread on here, I learned you can just take your bags to the dining room and have breakfast while the rest of the passengers are standing in line to get off the ship. By the time we were done eating, we were able to waltz right off. It was great! Thanks guys!

FYI- I posted on here while i was on the cruise because I couldn't understand why some of the food didn't seem to have much flavor. Some members politely responded with a few possible reasons and it was a good discussion.

I did notice how long the piers were at Nassau and was thankful I was not among the hundreds of people standing in the blazing hot sun, waiting for their tour to walk as a group to their shuttle. But I'm not a fan of Nassau so i just watched everyone from my balcony. I dont remember it being that long of a walk, but could understand how it would be very difficult for passengers with limited/no mobility. However I kept seeing these adorable little golf carts transporting people back and forth. I assumed those were for passengers with a special guide or it was a perk for those staying in the more expensive suites.

I overhead a woman staying in the balcony suite next to ours complain about how sick she was and how she couldn't do a tour on the island because she thought she had food poisoning. But things like norovirus are very common on cruise ships, so whatever.

I think the OP assumed this was just a site to randomly post about their cruise experience- not realizing the whole "loyal to Royal" thing. I think maybe he/she will find better luck posting on one of the many Reddit pages devoted to cruises or another cruise review site. I can't imagine the amount of money and stress involved when booking a vacation for 9 people, the cost of drink packages, flights from the east coast, transportation, specialty dining, and someone with limited or no mobility. I think some of the OP's facts are wrong, but he/she was probably hoping to get responses from those who may have shared a similar experience.

Side note: I did get Covid, while my other four family members did not. I'm a little bitter about that but it's fine. I'm vaccinated and boosted so it could've been worse.

13 hours ago, Kathkart said:

This is a fan site.  You know, fan?  Under your logic, I guess Johnny Depp has all of his passionate fans on his payroll.  LOL.

You still have not rebutted my issues with your OP statements which were clearly false.  To reiterate just one, Northstar is free on port days.  You alleged that all activities cost money.  This is one reason for such negative feedback.  I apologize for my tone but seriously, logic and reason must be at the core of the conversation.

• Matt locked this topic