Dream Cuisine

JB1082

Love all the options of specialty dining, but curious why they don't do anything more cuisine specific - like where is the Mediterranean, or Thai or Indian, or more authentic Japanese or asian (besides Izumi) - am I alone - any other cuisine types I'm missing?

34 minutes ago, JB1082 said:

Love all the options of specialty dining, but curious why they don't do anything more cuisine specific - like where is the Mediterranean, or Thai or Indian, or more authentic Japanese or asian (besides Izumi) - am I alone - any other cuisine types I'm missing?

1. I agree that Izumi is a watered down version of a Japanese restaurant.  Having said that, I really like Izumi.  It is better than the standard non-Japanese run local sushi place, but nowhere near Omakase Sushi by Hiro in NY.  I tell everyone who ask, when you go to Disneyland and order pizza, are you judging it to pizza from Naples?  If not, set your expectations the same way: Cruise food is NOT going to be authentic to the point it receives some Michelin rating or Zagat rating.  

2. Each class of ship has differing world cuisine offerings and for what its worth, they are tasty.  For Mediterranean food, Solarium Bistro provides a decent fix.  For Italian, Giovanni's or Jamie's are solid.  For Indian and Caribbean, Windjammer has decent options.  Some ships have Mexican (nacho/taco bar) which I classify as Tex-Mex or Am-Mex food, but still tasty.  I read somewhere that the Ovation has dim sum when in Asia.  Allure of the Seas has Brazilian BBQ.  

Oh, and I have seen that Izumi has different menu offerings depending upon the class of ship.  Some have ramen and udon, some have teppanyaki, some have hot stone bbq.  

There seems to be at least three (3) different Mexican themed restaurants amongst the ships as well.  I thought it was only the taco/nacho bar. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/27/2022 at 2:13 PM, CruisingNewb said:

I tell everyone who ask, when you go to Disneyland and order pizza, are you judging it to pizza from Naples? 

A little off topic, but if you visit Epcot in Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida, find "Via Napoli" restaurant in the World Showcase, and order the pizza.  It will compare favorably with pizza from Naples. 🤤🍕

On 7/27/2022 at 1:19 PM, KristiZ said:

Spectrum is alone in having two more unique offerings, Sichuan Red and the Hot Pot. Both fantastic! Can't wait to sail her again!

When I heard that Spectrum had hot pot I was SO jealous! Hot pot is Soooo good!

In the same vein, I'd love it if Royal took a page from Virgin and got a KBBQ place. Korean BBQ is my favorite cuisine but it's really pricey on land so I can only go a couple times a year. If I could combine that culinary treat with my other cruise/vacation treats it would be awesome!

22 hours ago, CrimsonCruiser said:

When I heard that Spectrum had hot pot I was SO jealous! Hot pot is Soooo good!

In the same vein, I'd love it if Royal took a page from Virgin and got a KBBQ place. Korean BBQ is my favorite cuisine but it's really pricey on land so I can only go a couple times a year. If I could combine that culinary treat with my other cruise/vacation treats it would be awesome!

LOL my family said the same thing.  Who doesn't like a KBBQ?  But reality is, there are people who might not even give it a second look because they don't know any better.  Plus, the smell would permeate all through the ship--not that I am complaining.

1 hour ago, CruisingNewb said:

LOL my family said the same thing.  Who doesn't like a KBBQ?  But reality is, there are people who might not even give it a second look because they don't know any better.  Plus, the smell would permeate all through the ship--not that I am complaining.

Idk...maybe because I've been on the Korea train for a while, but I feel like Korean culture is coming more and more to the mainstream. And besides...it's grilled meat....who doesn't love grilled meat? Lol

As for the smell....i guess they could put it on the top deck away from the pools or something...though you make a good point and now I'm wondering what Virgin does to prevent that....or do they not even bother...

10 minutes ago, CrimsonCruiser said:

Idk...maybe because I've been on the Korea train for a while, but I feel like Korean culture is coming more and more to the mainstream. And besides...it's grilled meat....who doesn't love grilled meat? Lol

As for the smell....i guess they could put it on the top deck away from the pools or something...though you make a good point and now I'm wondering what Virgin does to prevent that....or do they not even bother...

Well I am biased. 1. I am Korean LOL. 2. We live in Southern California-KBBQ everywhere.

The smell is wonderful...until its not.  When we make KBBQ at home, it smells amazing until about an hour later when the smell doesn't leave our house.

1 hour ago, CruisingNewb said:

Well I am biased. 1. I am Korean LOL. 2. We live in Southern California-KBBQ everywhere.

The smell is wonderful...until its not.  When we make KBBQ at home, it smells amazing until about an hour later when the smell doesn't leave our house.

These are true facts. I've made both Bulgogi and Samgyeopsal at home and WHILE they're cooking...my mouth is salivating. But after the oil cools.....I'm opening every window, running every fan and lighting every stick of incense 🤣