Gift certificates

I also don't recommend the RC gift certificates. You have to redeem them prior to sailing but they're not available until you get on board and there's really no way of knowing for sure that they've been credited to your account until you get on the ship and check your folio. You can't use them for pre-boarding purchases in the cruise planner. If you haven't already received them or bought them for someone my recommendation would be to give cash or even the Visa pre-paid gift cards then you can make your pre-cruise purchases in the cruise planner with them. 

On 7/27/2022 at 12:26 PM, cruisedreams86 said:

If you buy gift certificates for onboard credit, will it automatically be added to our onboard account or will it be waiting in the room for us?

Given what others have said about gift certificates, a better strategy is to redeem points from Royal's Visa card for OBC.  Or use a credit card with better benefits and avoid worrying about OBC.  {I've seen travel cards that offer 3% to 4% back on travel.)  Or you can buy Royal's stock at a low price now, and if you collect 100 shares you can request $100 OBC for each cruise.

Some travel agents will give you OBC if you book through them.

Many choices for getting an extra $50-$100 OBC....

2 hours ago, ChessE4 said:

Given what others have said about gift certificates, a better strategy is to redeem points from Royal's Visa card for OBC.  Or use a credit card with better benefits and avoid worrying about OBC.  {I've seen travel cards that offer 3% to 4% back on travel.)  Or you can buy Royal's stock at a low price now, and if you collect 100 shares you can request $100 OBC for each cruise.

Some travel agents will give you OBC if you book through them.

Many choices for getting an extra $50-$100 OBC....

We were thinking of using it more as a budget thing for having that money already set aside. But yes, given what other people have said, might just do the travel rewards card we already have. Appreciate the advice guys!