Tips for Elderly

89 year old grandmother will be going on 1st flight & 1st cruise next year.  She uses a cane to get around, but has mobility issues for longer distances.  Any tips for getting on/off/around ship?  We have lots of time to decide on excursions, but definitely no walking/hiking excursion.

I purchased a travel wheelchair for my mom, it’s lightweight and folds nicely.  
I did this because I used to lift the heavy duty wheelchair in and out of my car for all appointments I took her to.  The weight of the chair was awful I  my back and fitting it in a car was not easy.  additionally her weight added to the chair made pushing it even harder. 

The best was taking mom and her chair to Europe for her last hurrah.
When we flew we gate checked the chair.  I took the foot rests into the plane to ensure they didn’t disappear.  I also tied the wheelchair closed before they tagged it for the gate check.  I had my son push my mom in the wheelchair, since I have a bad back.  I did push it at times   It’s difficult to push a wheelchair on the plush carpet of the hallways on the ship.  If you’ve not booked your cabin you might want to take that into consideration.  I think exiting backwards with the wheelchair while going down the ramp is the way to go. I do believe staff helped with all movement on/off the ship via the ramps.

14 hours ago, twodaend said:

89 year old grandmother will be going on 1st flight & 1st cruise next year.  She uses a cane to get around, but has mobility issues for longer distances.  Any tips for getting on/off/around ship?  We have lots of time to decide on excursions, but definitely no walking/hiking excursion.

You should take note of Royal's ground transportation if you visit Coco Cay (tram).  I realize most of the Galveston cruises go to Mexico, but I am not sure about your exact itinerary.

In terms of Royal's excursions, there are some designed for mobility-restricted guests.

I would talk to the airline and cruise line.  I have not had to deal with a wheelchair in years but I still notice them because I grew up pushing a wheelchair.  The airlines will give you a person and wheelchair for her.  You see them all the time getting on and off the flights.  The cruise ship can have the same thing.  Here are a couple of pages that will give you information for Royal Caribbean.

Mobile Disabilities | Accessible Cruises | Royal Caribbean Cruises

Assistance Onboard & Offshore | Accessible Cruises | Royal Caribbean Cruises

From American Airline Website:

Accessible travel

• We're dedicated to providing a positive travel experience for all customers. You can request special assistance when making or managing your reservation online or call us if you have special requests. A coordinator will contact you before your trip to make sure everything’s ready.

Request special assistance online

When you book or manage your trip online, choose 'Add special assistance' on the passenger details page. There you can:

• Request wheelchair service
  • State if you're traveling with your own mobility device
  • Request individual assistance if you have a hearing, vision, cognitive or developmental disability
  • State if you’re traveling with a service animal. Keep in mind, notice and approval is required at least 48 hours before your flight.

I took a wheelchair with me when my sister and I took my Mom on a cruise.  We gate checked the chair.  She did not always need the chair but was nice to have when she did.  Was not a big issue.  By taking our own wheelchair it also worked for the hotel night before the cruise and night after cruise.

• 5 months later...

@Linda R or others, can you share what type of room and class of ship you were on?  I'm considering multigenerational cruise with my mother who's mobility has started to decline (no wheelchairs at this point but she uses a walker for extra support for most things and likes having one near her at night).  I think it would be great to be in a suite class for the extra amenities but it looks like accessible suites are in the corners of the ships vs. toward the elevators (at least on the ones I've looked at).  While I think she would love the broadway shows and other entertainment on board Oasis-class I'm not sure if one of the smaller class of ships would ultimately be less tiring on her.  Any thoughts based on your experiences?  She has cruised once and enjoyed it but it was 6 years ago and her health has changed since she's now in her late 80s.

11 hours ago, NancyP said:

@Linda R or others, can you share what type of room and class of ship you were on?  I'm considering multigenerational cruise with my mother who's mobility has started to decline (no wheelchairs at this point but she uses a walker for extra support for most things and likes having one near her at night).  I think it would be great to be in a suite class for the extra amenities but it looks like accessible suites are in the corners of the ships vs. toward the elevators (at least on the ones I've looked at).  While I think she would love the broadway shows and other entertainment on board Oasis-class I'm not sure if one of the smaller class of ships would ultimately be less tiring on her.  Any thoughts based on your experiences?  She has cruised once and enjoyed it but it was 6 years ago and her health has changed since she's now in her late 80s.

Grandeur has accessible interior and ocean view cabins near the aft elevators on the lower decks.  Also, being an older ship, it is a lot smaller and is easier to navigate. Max passengers is about 2000 vs 6000+ on newer ships. The only downside is there isn’t a lot of activities or areas geared towards kids like slides, flowrider, and sports courts. Not sure how young your “multigenerational” group is, but it may be a good option.  I personally liked my trip on Grandeur and would book it again if I was traveling with my parents. 

2 hours ago, DoomSlayer said:

Grandeur has accessible interior and ocean view cabins near the aft elevators on the lower decks.  Also, being an older ship, it is a lot smaller and is easier to navigate. Max passengers is about 2000 vs 6000+ on newer ships. The only downside is there isn’t a lot of activities or areas geared towards kids like slides, flowrider, and sports courts. Not sure how young your “multigenerational” group is, but it may be a good option.  I personally liked my trip on Grandeur and would book it again if I was traveling with my parents. 

Thank you! My first cruise was on Rhapsody many years ago so I can’t quite recall it but was on Radiance last year. I definitely see the appeal of the smaller sized ships for her. Will check into options in both classes.

On 1/1/2023 at 8:50 PM, NancyP said:

I book either balcony, jr suite or grand suite.  The larger ships will have many more places to see or visit, more shows, and more eating options.  If you get a cabin near mid-ship you would not have to walk the entire ship length for anything.   And being close to elevator will not having to walk as much.  I personally wrecked my knee and used a cane on a cruise.  It was harder to get around but was fine.  My favorite ships are Oasis class.  And I have been on every single RC ship.  Except Wonder, that I have booked this year.  Whatever you plan am sure your mother will enjoy it.

I don't want to scare you out of taking your grandmother, but be aware that the ships are moving vessels. We have been on many many cruises when passengers, especially elderly ones with walking issues, have fallen and had to be airlifted to land because they have broken limbs or hips.  Also, keep in mind that the ports you are visiting are most likely not ADA modified. We discovered that on a recent trip to the UK-lots of steps, rocky or brick uneven walking paths, bathrooms up or down stairs without handicapped toilets.  Do your research and consider staying in and enjoying the ship on port days.