Car Rental vs Uber to Port Miami Terminal A

Hi All -- looking for input from those who may have tried both.  I will be flying in the day before to FLL for a Symphony cruise in December.  My understanding is either way, I need to get to Terminal A.  

1. For simplicity sake, assume my origin is FLL.  Does it make sense (ignoring cost, unless it's order of difference) to take a car rental from FLL to the car rental drop off near the port and then take the car rental's shuttle to Terminal A

OR

take an Uber directly from FLL to Terminal A?  Pros/cons?

2. Regarding car rental shuttles, how do those work in terms of frequency, capacity, number of shuttles, luggage, crowds, weather, delays, etc.?  I'll likely be with Enterprise/National.

3. Does flying into MIA (instead of FLL) change anything?

Thanks for all your input!

Unless you are wanting a car to explore the night before, it's likely cheaper to Uber/Lyft..and a heck of a lot more convenient.  

I often drive from north Florida and on a corporate rate it's cheaper for me to do 2 one-way rentals than pay for parking for the week at the Miami port. I have dealt with the shuttles. If I have anyone else with me I drop them and luggage off and return the car and shuttle back alone. My last experience I didn't feel like waiting for the shuttle so I took an Uber.

You also need to consider where you are staying the night and the transportation to get from the airport to the hotel.

• 3 months later...

Welcome to Royal  Cruise Fun! Brother Johnny V and I are flying into FLL the day before embarkation and taking a "private limo" to Miami after arrival and staying there (Spring Hill Suites about a 20 minute uber to port at a very reasonable rate). I like to be close to port and avoid possible day of traffic/jams, and I HATE shuttles....waiting for someone else, stopping at other hotels, etc. TERRIBLE way to start a vacation! Brother arranged limo but I think its appx $100 plus tip. Hope that helps! Look us up at the Solarium Bar!

Hello,

Regarding my question #2 above, what time is (roughly) the first car-rental (Enterprise/National in my case) shuttle departure to Terminal A? 

I'm strongly considering dropping my family off at the Terminal, then returning the rental vehicle, then walking/shuttling back to the Terminal.

Thanks.