Stupid question (probably) about luggage tags

Regular paper usually works fine. You're going to fold it over on itself multiple times, plus staple it so it's usually pretty solid. 

If you're concerned about them ripping off, you can order tag holders with steel loops that work pretty well. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=royal+caribbean+luggage+tags&crid=1Z5OJOFINFWJ6&sprefix=royal+caribbean+l%2Caps%2C124&ref=nb_sb_ss_mission-aware-v1_1_17

One note:  Definitely those plastic tag holders.  But, unless you only cruise Royal Caribbean/Celebrity...and, even if you do... consider buying the slightsly wider ones they sell for Princess, etc.  In case you ever cruise with other lines, ANY cruise line tag will fit easily into the wider ones...I have soe and use them for Royal Caribbean, Celebrity AND Princess...It's actually easy to slide in the narrower Royal Caribbean tags...I print them out on ordinary paper stock, then CUT them to size. You don't need the extra bulk of all that excess paper--that's only important if you are folding and stapling.  I just cut out the tag, fold it in half and slide it into the plastic case.

Oh, one more note:  Some of the older tag holders use a plastic loop instead of the metal cable with screw thingy...don't buy the plastic band type--they're a pain.

37 minutes ago, RJE said:

I'm going to try wrapping the tag in packing tape, basically a cheapo laminate.  I've heard it works well.

Yep, that's what I do.  I staple, then I tape so the staples don't cut anyone.  The clear packing tape generally holds together.  I actually put tags on both handles (I never know how the baggage handlers will pack the bags), and I often find that one tag has disappeared when the bags arrive at our room.

If you are flying, wait until you arrive at your destination to affix the cruise tags.

I use the Cheapo packaging tape method after I print my luggage tags including my name before I seal them.  I do not fold them several times as the directions state. I just cut them out and fold them in the middle. Then I slide them in the holders linked above.

The reason I tape them is because if I just print them and stick them in the holders sometimes I forget to remove the tags from those holders quick enough and the Ink leaches to the plastic and I have lost a couple holders that way.

17 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

One note:  Definitely those plastic tag holders.  But, unless you only cruise Royal Caribbean/Celebrity...and, even if you do... consider buying the slightly wider ones they sell for Princess, etc.  In case you ever cruise with other lines, ANY cruise line tag will fit easily into the wider ones...

I wish I had thought of that before I purchased both sizes of tags.  Oh well

On 7/25/2022 at 7:55 PM, ChessE4 said:

Yep, that's what I do.  I staple, then I tape so the staples don't cut anyone.  The clear packing tape generally holds together.  I actually put tags on both handles (I never know how the baggage handlers will pack the bags), and I often find that one tag has disappeared when the bags arrive at our room

Finding one tag has disappeared when your luggage gets to your room is disturbing.  It indicates to me you'd be better off using the tag holders or having the porter at the pier attach the "self adhesive" labels.