US Health Ship Inspections

For those interested I am including a link to all of the health inspections for cruise ships sailing from the US.  We will be on the AdOS in August so I thought I would have a look.  Historically AdOS has almost always had 95-100 percent cleanliness and sanitation reports.  Sure glad we're not sailing on some ships with under a score of 50 or less!  Here is the link;

https://wwwn.cdc.gov/InspectionQueryTool/InspectionDetailReport.aspx?ColI=MjEyNjAyMjI%3d-No%2fPuGLgR0g%3d

Bill

Yet this is the kind of stuff they get dinged for. The same kind of stuff your local pizza place gets dinged for (though obviously those places aren't as rigorously cleaned as a cruise ship)

Item No.: 28
Site: Other-Sorrento's Beverage Station
Violation: One wet cup was out for service. This was sent to be rewashed.
Recommendation: After cleaning and sanitizing, ensure equipment and utensils are air dried or adequately drained before contact with food.

Item No.: 33

Site: Buffet-Windjammer Forward Jade Line

Violation: The deckhead where the fire screen door slides was soiled with more than one day's worth of dust. This was cleaned immediately.

Item No.: 39
Site: Galley-Sorrento's
Violation: A fruit fly was observed near the dishwash area. The pest manager was called.
Recommendation: Effectively control the presence of insects, rodents, and other pests to minimize their presence in the food storage, preparation, and service areas and warewashing and utensil storage areas aboard a vessel.

22 minutes ago, Toby said:

Inspect away.  If trivial items are reported that's a good sign the ship is very clean and compliant!

Indeed. I pulled that from Indy which had the lowest score of all RC ships at 90. The worst ones were dripping pipes on various pieces of dining room machines. There were a couple food temperature-related ones, but frankly those really aren't that unsafe even though they technically break rules.

9 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I found it interesting that Rhapsody, which gets picked on for being old and decrepit, scored a 100 on its last inspection.

Ship inspections aren't a reflection of onboard amenities, which is usually why people hate on  Rhapsody

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

Yet this is the kind of stuff they get dinged for. The same kind of stuff your local pizza place gets dinged for (though obviously those places aren't as rigorously cleaned as a cruise ship)

Yup.  I’ve shown inspection reports to coworkers who try to tell me how unsanitary cruise ships are. 

The interesting part of this fact is that I am a meat cutter for a large regional chain.  My coworkers and I deal with cleanliness and food safety inspections all the time.   When I have shown the reports, they have gotten a kick out the fact that ships have the same hits we typically do.

I did the behind the scenes tour on Vision pre-pandemic.  Everything I saw was spotless, and it was neat to see the same sanitation program in the galley that we use. 

Yeah I wish I hadn’t read the details of one of those reports.  The ship I dove into had a 96 or 98 score but the list or issues was looooong.  Many we not problematic but some were. Credit to the CDC for doing a tremendously thorough inspection. Now I just want to forget everything I read!

15 hours ago, FoxboroCruiser said:

Yeah I wish I hadn’t read the details of one of those reports.  The ship I dove into had a 96 or 98 score but the list or issues was looooong.  Many we not problematic but some were. Credit to the CDC for doing a tremendously thorough inspection. Now I just want to forget everything I read!

If you want to be horrified, think about how well your home (or those of your friends) would fare if subjected to the same type of inspection!