Canada ArriveCan holy cow what a pain!

This is our first cruise or any vacation out of this crappy pandemic and its a short one to Halifax. I mean in addition to all the things we all have to do right now Canada adds one more pain in the ass. This arriveCan form on an app is just ridiculous! Its so much information, redundant information its ridiculous. Its not just a quick 5 minute thing, its just page after page of annoyance. Its asking me what dock in Halifax. Royal Caribbean does list that, it just says port stop Halifax. There are 2 options and what the F difference does it make! We are sailing to Halifax Canada, which actual dock means NOTHING! What really pisses me off is Royal Caribbean already verified we are vaccinated. That should be enough, Royal already did the leg work. Honestly I'm really disgusted with this app and form. I love, LOVE you Canada but you are the most paranoid nervous country I have encountered. Although I think my-in-laws have to fill out something similar sailing into Bermuda next week too so maybe its in a lot of places. 

Sorry for the rant but this form/app is very confusing, not laid out well and just plain ridiculous.  

Cruise vacations at his point in time require patience, forgiveness, empathy, and a lot of time. Everything related to a cruise today comes with shortcomings.; the airlines, hotels, car rentals, the embarkation process, the staff onboard, and including the folks and businesses you come across at a port stop. Your expectations have to be really, really low.

A country asking a potential visitor for identification, vaccinations, or the exact location they will be staying is completely ordinary. It is by no means unusual or pandemic related. It is no means a big ask.

A stay at an all inclusive resort has far fewer moving parts.

You are absolutely right. Canadian here, and ArriveCAN is a pain. That being said, I know it doesn’t matter to you, but once the traveller info is saved, it’s a piece of cake.

The first time we used it it took forever entering all the info they asked for (which I agree is redundant). All the following times I’ve used it (with saved info) it takes only a few minutes. 

18 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

You are absolutely right. Canadian here, and ArriveCAN is a pain. That being said, I know it doesn’t matter to you, but once the traveller info is saved, it’s a piece of cake.

The first time we used it it took forever entering all the info they asked for (which I agree is redundant). All the following times I’ve used it (with saved info) it takes only a few minutes. 

Thank goodness for that! 

I chose one of the two ports in Halifax that were options, no idea if I chose the right one. It then asked for the arrival time! Yes, the actual hour! I mean this is ridiculous. This is not normal, this is not right and it's ridiculous. Stateroom number and actual hour of arrival? What kind of dopey egg heads came up with this garbage?

Again I love Canada, I love Canadians, this will be our 3rd time on a cruise to Canada. Love it! Love Halifax, and love New Brunswick Canada. This app is absolutely unnecessary and ridiculous. 

1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

It says one per household. Does that mean my husband doesn’t need one.

I was reading a review from a guy who did an Alaskan cruise that stopped in Canada. He said it was funny because he got asked so many times if he’d filled out his Arrive Can, no one ever asked to see it. 😃 I’m sure they look in the computer, but for all that it’s like you just want to show it to someone!

9 minutes ago, Bowen said:

I was reading a review from a guy who did an Alaskan cruise that stopped in Canada. He said it was funny because he got asked so many times if he’d filled out his Arrive Can, no one ever asked to see it. 😃 I’m sure they look in the computer, but for all that it’s like you just want to show it to someone!

I never got asked to show my ArriveCAN. But since it's tied to your passport, they know who has submitted it when you enter the country. 

8 minutes ago, Bowen said:

I don't know how it works for visitors, but for us, once you submit and get a receipt, it's linked to you passport. Once they scan your passport, they can see if it's done.

4 hours ago, wstephensi said:

Cruising to Canada in October.  Should/can I complete the form/app now and update it closer to our cruise?

You can create an account and load on all your traveller info, however, you cannot actually complete the process until 3 days prior to entry into Canada.

14 minutes ago, Rose City Cruiser said:

ArriveCan app set up is an annoyance.  I find it to be similar annoyance as entering your passport and proof of vaccination info to check-in.  

I think the Royal  app makes passport/vaccine so easy, with the scan/upload feature as opposed to their website.  
the ArriveCan was a pain, especially when you have to figure out your arrival port and time.  

41 minutes ago, Pattycruise said:

I think the Royal  app makes passport/vaccine so easy, with the scan/upload feature as opposed to their website.  
the ArriveCan was a pain, especially when you have to figure out your arrival port and time.  

It is easy to add the information, but why do I have to enter it for every cruise? I cruise every month and have to enter passport and vax info - silly. Then they ask for the same documents, plus covid test, at the Port. 

27 minutes ago, Swar said:

It is easy to add the information, but why do I have to enter it for every cruise? I cruise every month and have to enter passport and vax info - silly. Then they ask for the same documents, plus covid test, at the Port. 

Passport I can see since those change. But your vax status, by its current definition, doesn't change.

5 hours ago, Swar said:

That is an impressive 2022 list of cruises you have booked.   The cruise bug has bit you hard !   What about March 2023!  got to keep the streak going. 

On our Alaska cruise there was some form we had to fill in along with the customs form that wanted the ArriveCan number you get with the QR code. Didn't think we needed to fill out the customs from since we weren't getting off in Vancouver, but Customer Service said we still needed to. I'm hoping some of this will stop before our October Canada cruise in October.

7 hours ago, Meridian said:

That is an impressive 2022 list of cruises you have booked.   The cruise bug has bit you hard !   What about March 2023!  got to keep the streak going. 

lol

Waiting for RCL to offer me a March cruise. I am on the Indy today and my wife joins me tomorrow for a 4 day. It's like a circular firing squad - except in a good way. I cruise, I gamble - they "give" me cruises. I plan to do a cruise a month until we get on every RCL ship. Then chill out and either go to law school or culinary school. Been retired 10 years and keep busy doing things. People who retire and sit around are just not taking advantage of this wonderful world and all it has to offer. 

On 7/23/2022 at 11:26 AM, teddy said:

I didn’t realize Canada brought back entry requirements.  My in-laws have been down a few times recently and they didn’t have any requirements. 

I guess we’d better read up for our October cruise on Voyager 

It's random testing, and only at airports, so if you're sailing it's unlikely you'll be tested.   Especially since everyone is tested prior to boarding the ship.

On 7/23/2022 at 7:06 PM, Swar said:

You only have to load it once. Once its saved in there the only thing you have to do is enter date and port of entry.

37 minutes ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

You only have to load it once. Once its saved in there the only thing you have to do is enter date and port of entry.

Was talking about entering passport and covid info on RCL site for every cruise.