Iced Tea

TempoGL

I just got back from Anthem of the Seas and MAN is that iced tea bad!  I am definitely someone who thinks that iced tea from a machine is far worse than brewed iced tea, but I figured I'd at least be able to drink it.  WRONG!  It tastes like a ton of chemicals, like cleaning solution or something.  I tried four different machines (and not all on the same day), so I know it wasn't some kind of machine malfunction or operator error. I don't sweeten my iced tea, so maybe sugar/splenda etc masks this flavor, but it was honestly one of the worst things I have ever drank in my life.

Has anyone else noticed this?  BLECH!

2 hours ago, Pooch said:

I have never had an issue with the iced tea. Tastes fine to me 🤷‍♀️  I also have no issue with the water (not bottled) they serve.  Coffee in MDR & WJ is also drinkable.  I will add I cannot drink the burnt bean, overheated stuff served at Starbucks.  

I actually thought the brewed coffee was excellent.  It didn't quite make up for the terrible iced tea though, since I can't exactly drink coffee all day without becoming a jittery mess

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

If you're getting it out of the freestyle machines, then yes I could see why it wouldn't taste good

I did not have any drink package, so I was getting iced tea from the machines that they have in the Windjammer, Sorrento's, etc.

12 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

It's some form of liquid tea concentrate. I actually don't mind it, though I usually have to cut it with water or let the ice melt.

The other alternative is to brew your own with the available tea bags and hot water and let it cool down a bit and pour over ice.

Definitely liquid concentrate.  That's unilaterally worse than brewed, but at most places that use the concentrate (many fast/quick service restaurants), the iced tea is drinkable.  This stuff was...something else.

7 hours ago, IzzyB said:

Oh man, I was hoping for brewed in MDR, ugh.  I may be brewing my own with tea bags and then ice lol

I didn't try it in the MDR, although I'd be a little surprised if they used something different there.  If you try it in the MDR, please report back

4 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

My brother is an iced tea connoisseur lol, he said the iced tea on the ship was the worst he ever had and stuck to the lemonades. He was very disappointed because the lemonade was so good. I think iced tea should only ever be brewed fresh. 

I agree fresh brew is the only way.  When I buy it out in the bottle I will only buy it if it states fresh brewed and I check the ingredients just to make sure lol  So if it is not fresh brewed there is no way I am drinking it on the ship.  I will also be sticking with lemonade which sucks since that is more calories.  Last thing I need is to pile on more calories on all the desserts and yummy food I will be eating.

1 hour ago, IzzyB said:

I agree fresh brew is the only way.  When I buy it out in the bottle I will only buy it if it states fresh brewed and I check the ingredients just to make sure lol  So if it is not fresh brewed there is no way I am drinking it on the ship.  I will also be sticking with lemonade which sucks since that is more calories.  Last thing I need is to pile on more calories on all the desserts and yummy food I will be eating.

Calories don't exist on vacation.

I don't know if it's the same fleet-wide, but on all of the half-dozen or so Royal Caribbean ships I've sailed on over the years they do not use the same iced tea in the main dining room as that horrible swill they have up in the Windjammer machines.  It is not excellent, but it does appear to be brewed there in the kitchen, and is much superior to the crappy stuff upstairs.  Mind you, I get it unsweetened and add Sweet and Low, if you asked for it sweet with sugar I don't know if they would brew it properly with the sugar added while still hot, but it is certainly worth a try.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/29/2022 at 9:55 PM, WhoCruiser said:

I don't know if it's the same fleet-wide, but on all of the half-dozen or so Royal Caribbean ships I've sailed on over the years they do not use the same iced tea in the main dining room as that horrible swill they have up in the Windjammer machines.  It is not excellent, but it does appear to be brewed there in the kitchen, and is much superior to the crappy stuff upstairs.  Mind you, I get it unsweetened and add Sweet and Low, if you asked for it sweet with sugar I don't know if they would brew it properly with the sugar added while still hot, but it is certainly worth a try.

so are you saying they brew a little pot of tea to order if you ask for iced tea?

15 hours ago, TempoGL said:

so are you saying they brew a little pot of tea to order if you ask for iced tea?

They may brew it fresh in the MDR (kitchens who brew their own have industrial 3-gallon brewers that are the same as coffee systems) but I don't think so. However, someone who knows what they're doing might at least be making it in the MDR... or the machines may be cleaned more stringently.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2022 at 6:55 PM, TempoGL said:

No, not in front of you at the table, but what they bring to you from the kitchen was clearly brewed there, and is not the swill they are serving in the machines upstairs in Windjammer.

I HATE ice tea that comes from a fountain machine.  I always ask for freshly made ice tea.  But if a restaurant does not have that, then I ask for hot tea and a tall glass of ice - my version of DIY ice tea.

As far as Allure - while I did not get my ice tea from the fountain machines, the ones in the WIndjammer (near the lemonade) and the ones from MDR were very good. 

44 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

Whether they are fully stocked is the only issue, they will have the same offerings across ships that have them.

I just don't know if they have any of the stuff I usually drink, like sugar free lemonades, etc. so I was curious about what they "should" have.

Also, does anyone know if Voyager has Freestyle machines yet?

28 minutes ago, THinPH said:

I just don't know if they have any of the stuff I usually drink, like sugar free lemonades, etc. so I was curious about what they "should" have.

Also, does anyone know if Voyager has Freestyle machines yet?

They will have sugar free minute maid lemonades and other sugar free/zero sugar drinks. 

I love iced tea and drink it daily starting with my breakfast. The first time i sailed - I drank the iced tea regularly. The taste wasn’t great but I doctored it with lemonade or lemons…. And managed. Because I knew it was my form of caffeine. 

however by day 4 I had a rip roaring headache that never let up (even with advil or Tylenol) until we got off the ship and drove thru a drive in for a large iced tea on the way home. Within minutes my headache was completely gone. 

I decided based on my experience - the liquid pretend iced tea they serve is really not tea. From that point on, I have brought plain tea bags in my purse on board and I ask for a pot of hot water. I load up my Tervis with ice and make my own iced tea! No more headaches and it tastes great. 

Probably sounds silly but I don’t want a repeat headache performance from lack of caffeine. And yes - I’m a teatottaler (how is that spelled?!?) and do not drink alcohol. 

2 hours ago, Eyeonhevn said:

I love iced tea and drink it daily starting with my breakfast. The first time i sailed - I drank the iced tea regularly. The taste wasn’t great but I doctored it with lemonade or lemons…. And managed. Because I knew it was my form of caffeine. 
however by day 4 I had a rip roaring headache that never let up (even with advil or Tylenol) until we got off the ship and drove thru a drive in for a large iced tea on the way home. Within minutes my headache was completely gone.
[...]

Probably sounds silly but I don’t want a repeat headache performance from lack of caffeine. And yes - I’m a teatottaler (how is that spelled?!?) and do not drink alcohol. 

the caffeine withdrawal headache is no joke. this happens to me with coffee and i find it difficult to replicate the levels of caffeine when i travel. like you, i resort to bringing my coffee of choice along to prepare while on vacation to avoid that gloomy headache. nothing touches it except whatever i'm used to having 😅

I actually like the ice tea on the ships. Occasionally I will add a dash of lemonade to my iced tea if they are out of lemon slices at the counter. I don't put enough lemonade to make an Arnold Palmer which is half and half, just enough to add a bit of lemon or more if the tea isn't very good that day.

• 5 months later...