What are your Royal Up Tips & Tricks?

Happy Thursday everyone!

We are writing a post about the best Royal Up Tips & Tricks that may give a better chance of winning a bid on RoyalUp.

What are some strategies that have worked best for you when bidding through RoyalUp? Feel free to share your successful (or unsuccessful) RoyalUp stories!

You should definitely note the URL in case the user never receives the email alerting them to RoyalUp opportunities. I have never won a bid (only bid minimum on a GS) but several times I never got the email although there were offers available on the RoyalUp site on my sailing dates. 

Always look at the cost to upgrade before bidding. It's not really a "win" if your RoyalUp cost more than what it would have been to directly purchase the upgrade.

Understand the room category that you are bidding on and all the possible locations are for rooms in those categories. Make sure you would be okay with any of those room locations on the ship before bidding.  

Understand that RoyalUp will not maintain connecting rooms.  If you paid for connecting rooms and want to keep connecting rooms, do not participate in RoyalUp bidding.

Perks are only for whomever is booked in the room that wins the bid. You can't combine two smaller rooms into one large room if you win the bid.

You can't go by current inventory to judge if you will win a bid. RoyalUp can leverage last minute cancelations. 

The biggest tip is not to become consumed with "winning".  You won when you booked your cruise in a cabin you like, at a price you like.

By all means put in a bid on an upgrade at a price you see as fair.  If you don't get it, you still get to go on the cruise in your original cabin - there is no loss!

9 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

My only RU bid was from a 1 BR GS to a 2 BR GS and it opened up last minute. When we got to the room there was all sorts of medical equipment pre staged. I kind of felt bad wondering the circumstance that the room opened up with.

Not that that is a tip or a trick to getting a RU

It's probably a good point to say that the reason there are so many "wins" recently is that people are testing negative for Covid last minute.  Suites and the best rooms are usually sold out for most cruises and don't open up as often under normal circumstances.  As Covid winds down and protocols are normalized, I see way fewer Royal Up wins.

BIG ONE just happened to me. I went in to adjust my bid, I bid 1,600 and wanted to bring it lower, the minimum was 800.00 I believe. I went to the slider and it wouldn't go down, the minimum had risen to 1820 starting bid. I tried to just adjust to my previous 1600 and it wouldn't take it so I just felt I was SOL and closed out the window. 

Something nagged so I went back in and looked I inadvertently sent the slider to the top 4400 for the bid, omg so glad I caught it I canceled immediately thanking my lucky stars it wasn't accepted!! It would have been an ugly win for sure. 

So I only have a minimum remaining bid in for an aquasuite a cabin I have never experienced and am forgetting about it, I'm already in a CLS. But be careful, that bid X 2 would have put me in the dog house for sure. My credit card was already there because it was a modification. Phew, first time I'm happy I didn't  "win" a RUB.

Be methodical and careful before you submit. Good Luck everyone and have fun!!

SLIDER DANGER! 

42 minutes ago, Kansas Cruiser said:

If you make more than one offer on Royal-up and "win" one early (which we did about 30 days out), is there a chance our other bids for even better cabins might be accepted closer to the sail date, or are we out of the running for those?  Thanks.

No, once you win a RU, you can't do anything but outright upgrade your cabin.