A week out and I'm sick but not with Covid.

Well we are less than a week out from our first cruise in years because of this awful pandemic and I'm sick but its not Covid. I started feeling it on Sunday, headache, muscle aches, sluggish and I thought for sure it was Covid. I work for the town I live in so I ran home real quick to test myself and negative. I finished the work day and Monday my stomach was killing me. Took another Covid test and negative again. Its just a stomach virus/bug of some kind. Today I feel much, much better. Took the whole week off to rest and recover. All the things associated with a stomach bug has subsided but still a bit weak, sluggish. Resting and fluids, electrolytes. 

Our cruise is Tuesday the 26th on Adventure. I should be ok to cruise by then right? I have tested myself for Covid 4 times this week and negative each time. 

Thanks guys, yeah it seems to be something going around. I've heard of a lot of people having it now. Our pharmacy said they have been seeing a lot of people with the same thing. 

I'm doing all I can to be better for Tuesday! Can't miss this, it's years in the making. We are on Oasis 2 weeks after this week just to make up for lost cruise time. 

Thanks for all the replies. 

The week prior to our cruise the week of 6/25, both my wife and I came down with flu like symptoms.  We tested ad nauseum right up to the official proctored test.  Every test was negative.  We both cleared up the day the ship was leaving port.  Nothing but an official positive Covid result was going to keep us off that cruise.

My advice is the following: Since you ruled out covid so far, and since you know your body the best, you should be the one deciding on if you can go on the cruise or not. From a cruise protocol standpoint you should be fine to go. However from a general health standpoint it may behoove you to be a little cautious. Cruises have expanded their medical facilities to include advance life-support systems on board, but realize that you really don't want to be on a ship if things go downhill. 

If you are able to go see your primary care physician to rule out any other respiratory infections and perhaps if its diagnosed early enough you can take antivirals or antibiotics for treatment to help you recover. 

I hope you feel better. It always sucks to get sick right before a vacation. 

I know 3 people (they were family and all around one another) who all tested negative with at home tests but when they got the PCR tests they tested positive. They were told not all home tests catch everything.

I'm not suggesting you do anything either way just warning you it's possible to test positive still. Please don't come at me with debates. It's anecdotal. I'm not here for it. 

Being sick sucks, the flu sucks, viruses suck - hope you feel better soon and enjoy your cruise.

Edited: this was in late may 2022.

I think you should be good if you're truly feeling better. You're most likely out of your contagion period for whatever you have (if it's even transmissible in similar way). You could be doubly safe and wear your own mask for the first days or in crowds/small spaces just to be safe but if I were in your shoes and ruled out transmissible illnesses and overcame them..I'd go and feel okay about it.

My unsolicited but you willingly open yourself up on these platforms for advice.....is.....I  can hear the ocean calling, music playing, drinks flowing, and endless food options awaiting.....don't overthink it.  What saddens me, is the added complications and stress for this type of travel is ridiculous.  Adding to what naturally has some logistical challenges....more, is silly.  I      can actually feel the stress of the situation in front of you and the unnecessary weight we've given the matter.....especially in light of all we know...yes, we do know.  Those promoting fear and anxiety need to stop.  We have FAR FAR FAR greater things in our life health wise to focus on than a 99.7%+ and rising survival rate. For one, let's seek healthy lifestyles on a regular basis so we can go overboard on vacation and enjoy!

Now, go catch some rays, raise a few glasses, and share in a bunch of laughs with people you love.     

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

A PCR test can pick up virus remnants from 3 months prior though.

Promise that's not what I'm debating or saying. My point was more that there could be false negatives so my warning was just in case OP took the pre cruise test and it was positive...but OP is saying it's something else so it doesn't matter. 🙂

13 minutes ago, ellcee said:

Promise that's not what I'm debating or saying. My point was more that there could be false negatives so my warning was just in case OP took the pre cruise test and it was positive...but OP is saying it's something else so it doesn't matter. 🙂

Yes, there can, but not likely 4 in a row

2 hours ago, RCIfan1912 said:

I'm pretty sure it's not Covid. I don't have any symptoms other than stomach pain, and what comes with that. No sore throat, no cough, nothing Covid really associated. 

We all forget that Norovirus is common on ships. Keep hands clean and eat a gentle diet (BRAT plus yogurt) until your tummy feels better. Try to keep others from getting it.