Poll for Opinions Regarding Removal of the CDC COVID-19 Program for Cruise Ships

Poll for Opinions Regarding Removal of the CDC COVID-19 Program for Cruise Ships  

228 members have voted

1. 1. Would you feel uncomfortable cruising if a larger proportion of unvaccinated were allowed to sail by the end of 2022?

• Absolutely!
    • Probably
    • Meh
    • Definitely not!
  2. 2. Would you feel comfortable if cruise lines eliminated regular interval testing requirements for onboard staff?

• No problem!
    • Indifferent
    • No way!
  3. 3. Would you self-test prior to embarkation if the test requirement was removed?

• Yes, for my own piece of mind
    • Only if a benefit was provided (i.e. priority/early embarkation, discounts, OBC, etc.)
    • No, I won't since it's not required

14 minutes ago, Shari said:

Margaritaville at Sea will stop pre-cruise covid testing on 23 July.

Margaritaville at Sea Becomes Latest Cruise Line to Stop Pre-Cruise Testing (cruisefever.net)

I called it! July 23rd is the first date for US sailings without a pre-embarkation test.

23 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I'm surprised the big 3 (4?) haven't said anything yet unless they're timing it with a late Friday news dump

NCL doesn’t even have an acknowledgment of the CDC change as far as I can see.

35 minutes ago, AspiringCruisePlanner said:

I called it! July 23rd is the first date for US sailings without a pre-embarkation test.

I see that they are having unvaccinated complete a negative antigen test. That’s the easiest one, right? Like the Binax? Not PCR?

43 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I'm surprised the big 3 (4?) haven't said anything yet unless they're timing it with a late Friday news dump

That is what I have been thinking.  That would get them in the news without affecting stock.  That news could propel a surge in bookings over the weekend.

I’d prefer pre Cruise testing be repealed but from a risk and publicity standpoint for the cruise line, I would think it would be tough. One should Surmise there’d be more cases aboard which equals bad publicity regardless of how mild they may be. Perception is reality as they say. 

8 minutes ago, GatorCruiser said:

I’d prefer pre Cruise testing be repealed but from a risk and publicity standpoint for the cruise line, I would think it would be tough. One should Surmise there’d be more cases aboard which equals bad publicity regardless of how mild they may be. Perception is reality as they say. 

If it were really about safety then I’d think the testing would stay and the vaccine requirement would go. You’re right, public perception is everything. If the testing goes then the cases also go. You can find what you don’t track. 😂

8 minutes ago, Bowen said:

If it were really about safety then I’d think the testing would stay and the vaccine requirement would go. You’re right, public perception is everything. If the testing goes then the cases also go. You can find what you don’t track. 😂

I hear ya but inevitably people would test when they got home and then bellyache on message boards about how they contracted rona aboard the thoughtless cruise ship. Wait, that’s already happening. 😜

Sorry if this has already been posted. Princess has updated a bit now as well. Unvaxxed are welcome, first come first serve, you have to apply for an exemption, but you don't have to jump through hoops, you just have to let them know since they are limiting unvaxxed to 10% right now and it's first come, first serve. Unvaxxed do have to take a PCR test three days out and an antigen day of.

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/frequently-asked-questions/us-cruises/

As much as we all look towards testing as the big thing crew protocols loom pretty large in the picture.

This includes not only mask protocols but also crew quarantine and testing process.  There are also other crew policies in play right now that are making life on board much less pleasant compared to before.  Some crew are choosing not to renew contracts due to onerous protocols which isn't helping the staffing issues.  

There may be a lot of effort at HQ right now aimed at rewriting crew protocols which from a management perspective represent more effort compared to testing guests.  Testing of guests may be in the hands of the legal department to ensure the cruise contract mitigates legal exposure (I got Covid on a ship so now I sue because they didn't do enough) while other areas like quarantine cabins (used by crew when they board a ship initially) have to be reviewed.

They may be taking the time to address so much more than just testing. 

2 hours ago, twangster said:

As much as we all look towards testing as the big thing crew protocols loom pretty large in the picture.

This includes not only mask protocols but also crew quarantine and testing process.  There are also other crew policies in play right now that are making life on board much less pleasant compared to before.  Some crew are choosing not to renew contracts due to onerous protocols which isn't helping the staffing issues.  

There may be a lot of effort at HQ right now aimed at rewriting crew protocols which from a management perspective represent more effort compared to testing guests.  Testing of guests may be in the hands of the legal department to ensure the cruise contract mitigates legal exposure (I got Covid on a ship so now I sue because they didn't do enough) while other areas like quarantine cabins (used by crew when they board a ship initially) have to be reviewed.

I hope so. I would much rather see them address the working conditions of the crew. If your crew it’s not taken care of your business is not going to thrive.

2 hours ago, twangster said:

Very good points. A happy crew definitely helps make for a happy passenger. 

1 hour ago, Bowen said:

My wish that you had said “Happy Crews” is beyond words rights now. Very good.😂

I had considered making it plural but I  was concerned about the grammar , I guess I could have said “crews’ “. Anywho,  I knew Peeps would get the gist of my play on words. 

10 minutes ago, GatorCruiser said:

I had considered making it plural but I  was concerned about the grammar , I guess I could have said “crews’ “. Anywho,  I knew Peeps would get the gist of my play on words. 

As soon as I posted it I was like "Is crews a word? Is the plural of crew, crews?" I think it's not.  🙂

22 minutes ago, GatorCruiser said:

That’s why i come to this site, cruise , crews, and grammar insights. 

But if we’re talking multiple crews from multiple ships then would it have to be “Happy crews, happy cruises?”😂

On 7/22/2022 at 11:33 AM, ChessE4 said:

Unvaccinated are at greater risk of becoming seriously ill than vaccinated and updated.  I agree that a negative test result is a good thing, but I think we could do that with self-testing and self-reporting.

The interesting thing about the risk of severity is that Royal's official policy has never required boosters or being "up to date" on shots, which means individuals can board even if their last shot was over a year ago now, which effectively means their risk of severity matches that of the unvaccinated. So even their current policy isn't great if the goal is to reduce risk of severe cases...so I do think moving forward with just negative testing without regard for vaccination status would probably be a good compromise, and still provide a good level of protection and mitigation. And I personally have no problem with self testing and reporting.

12 hours ago, LotharioRowe said:

The interesting thing about the risk of severity is that Royal's official policy has never required boosters or being "up to date" on shots, which means individuals can board even if their last shot was over a year ago now, which effectively means their risk of severity matches that of the unvaccinated. 

To stop any European  cruisers getting confused This only applies for US cruises! 

For European cruises boosters are required and should be no more than 270 days before cruise to be classed as up to date.