Poll for Opinions Regarding Removal of the CDC COVID-19 Program for Cruise Ships

Poll for Opinions Regarding Removal of the CDC COVID-19 Program for Cruise Ships  

228 members have voted

1. 1. Would you feel uncomfortable cruising if a larger proportion of unvaccinated were allowed to sail by the end of 2022?

• Absolutely!
    • Probably
    • Meh
    • Definitely not!
  2. 2. Would you feel comfortable if cruise lines eliminated regular interval testing requirements for onboard staff?

• No problem!
    • Indifferent
    • No way!
  3. 3. Would you self-test prior to embarkation if the test requirement was removed?

• Yes, for my own piece of mind
    • Only if a benefit was provided (i.e. priority/early embarkation, discounts, OBC, etc.)
    • No, I won't since it's not required

9 hours ago, AspiringCruisePlanner said:

Yes, why the confusion?

I'm legitimately confused/amazed that nearly 30% of people claim that they would voluntarily test themselves for an infection, at cost to themselves and risking their entire vacation, when not required to do so and not experiencing symptoms.  

35 minutes ago, danv3 said:

I'm legitimately confused/amazed that nearly 30% of people claim that they would voluntarily test themselves for an infection, at cost to themselves and risking their entire vacation, when not required to do so and not experiencing symptoms.  

So you would roll the dice and maybe infect other people just so you could go on vacation? You wouldn’t feel horribly guilty if you found out later that you may have been the vector?

19 minutes ago, memebag said:

So you would roll the dice and maybe infect other people just so you could go on vacation? You wouldn’t feel horribly guilty if you found out later that you may have been the vector?

I would not feel guilty if I went on a cruise feeling perfectly healthy.

38 minutes ago, jticarruthers said:

I would not feel guilty if I went on a cruise feeling perfectly healthy.

About 60% of the spread of Covid-19 comes from people without any symptoms. Maybe you didn't know that. Now that you do, you know that a 15 minute test can let you know if you're infected, and the US government is making a lot of those tests available for free. So there's no reason to go by how you feel.

56 minutes ago, memebag said:

To question #1, yes, just as I "roll the dice" every day when I go to work, Target, etc.  

To #2, no, if I was not feeling sick, boarded the cruise, and then later found out that I was infectious, I would not feel guilty.  

13 minutes ago, danv3 said:

To question #1, yes, just as I "roll the dice" every day when I go to work, Target, etc.  

To #2, no, if I was not feeling sick, boarded the cruise, and then later found out that I was infectious, I would not feel guilty.  

If I decided not to test, not knowing would be my fault. I would definitely feel guilty.

Thanks to the 84 people who responded so far!

It's interesting to see the distribution of the answers and how split the opinions are on these topics.  I'd imagine RCCL would utilize a survey like this to help guide decision making 😜

Let's reserve the comment section for constructive discussion.  Utilize the poll to voice your opinion.

40 minutes ago, memebag said:

About 60% of the spread of Covid-19 comes from people without any symptoms. Maybe you didn't know that. Now that you do, you know that a 15 minute test can let you know if you're infected, and the US government is making a lot of those tests available for free. So there's no reason to go by how you feel.

Multiple answers that would get the thread locked deleted.

Suffice it to say we disagree on the value/purpose of testing.

I would self-test prior to embarkation. Though I may not be altruistic in doing it to protect others. I would want to know if I am infected…and think about if my infection may cause me to subsequently suffer complications which may require medical intervention. I would definitely prefer being on land, at home, should this occur. Rather than having to rely on the medical facilities and staff onboard. And the possibility of being quarantined…or worse. Being disembarked in another port and having to seek medical attention in another country…and having to abide by their quarantine procedures. Then trying to get back home.

11 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I would think we'll see formal responses in some form (even if there are no immediate changes) by the cruise lines today.

Not sure if this is a formal response, but Royal did update their site yesterday to this:

CDC Guidance for Cruises Departing the U.S.

On July 18, the U.S. CDC announced that the COVID-19 Program for Cruise Ships is no longer in effect. Going forward, the CDC will continue to publish guidance for the cruise industry. We are waiting for these revised recommendations, which we expect in the coming days. Upon review, we will adjust our current protocols and provide guidance to our guests. For now, our current protocols remain in effect for cruises departing U.S. homeports. See current protocols.

2 hours ago, memebag said:

I don't follow the logic in your response. 

At any point of any day currently, you could 'maybe infect' someone.  

In western society we are back to normal, with few exceptions such as hospitals and medical facilities, where a mask is now thrown-on out of courtesy more than the belief it'll stop you infecting anyone.   

Once you have your vaccine and boosters, it's as good as it's going to get, and it doesn't matter if you share a sauna with the unvaccinated.  The risk is on them, not you.  

However, if I was an insurance company I wouldn't cover anyone who hadn't been jabbed, certainly not for cruising.  

4 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Yeah, that was not really the response from Royal I was hoping for either.  And who knows how long it will take for the CDC to provide guidance.  

Me neither. I was hoping for a change, not a statement saying they will let us know when a change could, maybe, sort of happen. 

As far as the CDC providing guidance, they may come by Christmas. lol

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/cruise-travel-during-covid19.html#faq

Plan ahead

• Be up to date with your COVID-19 vaccines before travel.
  • Check if your cruise line requires proof of vaccination or pre-embarkation testing, or has any other requirements to board.
  • If traveling by air before or after cruise travel, check if your airline or destination (see here for U.S. requirement) requires any testing, vaccination, or other documents.
  • Consider getting travel insurance. Consider buying additional insurance that covers health care and emergency evacuation, especially if you will be traveling to remote areas. Make sure you have a plan to get care overseas, in case you need it.

Pre-embarkation Testing

• If your cruise line does not have a testing requirement, get tested for current infection with a viral test (no more than 3 days) before boarding a cruise ship, regardless of your vaccination status. Get your test results before you board your cruise.
    • If you recovered from COVID-19 in the past 90 days, testing is not generally recommended unless you have symptoms. People can continue to test positive for up to 90 days after diagnosis and not be infectious to others. Check with your cruise line regarding their specific policies, including if you need to provide a copy of your positive test result and a letter from your healthcare provider documenting that you recovered from COVID-19.
  • If you or your travel companions have COVID-19 symptoms or test positive at embarkation, the cruise ship may deny you from boarding. If you are allowed to board, you may be required to isolate or quarantine, depending on your symptoms and test results.

During Cruise Travel

Protect Yourself and Others

Masks

If You Develop Symptoms or Use a Self-Test on Board with a Positive Result

• Isolate yourself in your cabin immediately.
  • Call your ship’s medical center.

Cruise lines may have their own requirements for testing, isolation, quarantine, mask wearing, and dining for people with COVID-19 or their close contacts. If you have questions about a cruise line’s specific policies, please contact them directly.

• If you disembark the ship before completing your isolation or quarantine period, you should follow CDC’s guidance, or local guidance if you disembark in another country.

39 minutes ago, Squid said:

I don't follow the logic in your response. 

At any point of any day currently, you could 'maybe infect' someone.  

In western society we are back to normal, with few exceptions such as hospitals and medical facilities, where a mask is now thrown-on out of courtesy more than the belief it'll stop you infecting anyone.   

Once you have your vaccine and boosters, it's as good as it's going to get, and it doesn't matter if you share a sauna with the unvaccinated.  The risk is on them, not you.  

However, if I was an insurance company I wouldn't cover anyone who hadn't been jabbed, certainly not for cruising.  

Guilt, the emotional response, may not be logical.

It's true, we are all potential vectors all the time. But going on a multi-day cruise is different from other activities. The evidence right now suggests omicron BA.4 and BA.5 are eluding some of the antibodies produced by the current vaccines, so just being up to date on your shots may not mean much right now.

Given that, I want to know if I'm carrying Covid before I get on a cruise. I don't want to infect other people, and would feel very bad if I did.

3 hours ago, memebag said:

I wouldn't be any more concerned than I would have been pre COVID. Illness is a risk of life, travel, etc.

2 hours ago, AspiringCruisePlanner said:

Thanks to the 84 people who responded so far!

It's interesting to see the distribution of the answers and how split the opinions are on these topics.  I'd imagine RCCL would utilize a survey like this to help guide decision making 😜

Let's reserve the comment section for constructive discussion.  Utilize the poll to voice your opinion.

Since I'm a huge fan of polling (if you follow People's Pundit then you know what I mean), I would like to see a binary poll. One or the other, force people to answer without leeway. "If you had to choose, would you choose x or y". Just in case you ever feel plucky and want to repeat the poll in a few weeks. 🙂

32 minutes ago, twangster said:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/cruise-travel-during-covid19.html#faq

Plan ahead

• Be up to date with your COVID-19 vaccines before travel.
  • Check if your cruise line requires proof of vaccination or pre-embarkation testing, or has any other requirements to board.
  • If traveling by air before or after cruise travel, check if your airline or destination (see here for U.S. requirement) requires any testing, vaccination, or other documents.
  • Consider getting travel insurance. Consider buying additional insurance that covers health care and emergency evacuation, especially if you will be traveling to remote areas. Make sure you have a plan to get care overseas, in case you need it.

Pre-embarkation Testing

• If your cruise line does not have a testing requirement, get tested for current infection with a viral test (no more than 3 days) before boarding a cruise ship, regardless of your vaccination status. Get your test results before you board your cruise.
    • If you recovered from COVID-19 in the past 90 days, testing is not generally recommended unless you have symptoms. People can continue to test positive for up to 90 days after diagnosis and not be infectious to others. Check with your cruise line regarding their specific policies, including if you need to provide a copy of your positive test result and a letter from your healthcare provider documenting that you recovered from COVID-19.
  • If you or your travel companions have COVID-19 symptoms or test positive at embarkation, the cruise ship may deny you from boarding. If you are allowed to board, you may be required to isolate or quarantine, depending on your symptoms and test results.

During Cruise Travel

Protect Yourself and Others

Masks

If You Develop Symptoms or Use a Self-Test on Board with a Positive Result

• Isolate yourself in your cabin immediately.
  • Call your ship’s medical center.

Cruise lines may have their own requirements for testing, isolation, quarantine, mask wearing, and dining for people with COVID-19 or their close contacts. If you have questions about a cruise line’s specific policies, please contact them directly.

• If you disembark the ship before completing your isolation or quarantine period, you should follow CDC’s guidance, or local guidance if you disembark in another country.

Is this the newest suggestions? I hope so, it leaves a ton of leeway for cruises to just ask you to fill out the form and then if you feel sick on board you can go get tested, just like we used to do with the flu. I cannot wait for RC to come out with their new protocols, let's goooo. 🙂

21 minutes ago, Bowen said:

Is this the newest suggestions? I hope so, it leaves a ton of leeway for cruises to just ask you to fill out the form and then if you feel sick on board you can go get tested, just like we used to do with the flu. I cannot wait for RC to come out with their new protocols, let's goooo. 🙂

What we don't see (so far) is the new guidance the CDC will give the cruise lines.  Easy for the CDC to point the finger at the cruise lines but that depends on the back channel communication we aren't privy to.   

8 hours ago, memebag said:

That is a nonsense statistic and impossible to validate.