Grand Jury Duty question

Bowen

We're supposed to be cruising a week in August and a week in September provided our religious exemptions come through. My mom just got Jury Duty for six months, every other Wednesday through the end of the year. And of course both weeks are dates that she is supposed to be sitting on the Grand Jury. We do have the RC vacation protection plan, so my question is, will this be covered? If I call and cancel because of jury duty, even though it's not for me, will I get a refund? We don't want to go with only part of the family, and we are in the same room, so I'm kind of feeling out my options. She feels terrible that she didn't realize it, and while she might be able to request off, she's not sure she can do it twice in such close succession. I realize she should have just let Jury duty know about the trips in advance, but with all the exemption stuff going on she just forgot, so no sense crying over spilled milk. Anyone dealt with this?

12 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I would see if you could shift your jury duty to clear up those two weeks.

Yeah I'm going to have her ask. I guess if the exemptions don't come through then she can just tell them that she no longer needs the days. We'll start there.

1 hour ago, Bowen said:

Yeah I'm going to have her ask. I guess if the exemptions don't come through then she can just tell them that she no longer needs the days. We'll start there.

The Grand Jury staff are used to working with these kind of issues. They select alternates for this scenario. As a previous  Grand Jury prosecutor  I find most usually go out of the way to accommodate the good citizens doing their duty.

21 minutes ago, Kathleen said:

The Grand Jury staff are used to working with these kind of issues. They select alternates for this scenario. As a previous  Grand Jury prosecutor  I find most usually go out of the way to accommodate the good citizens doing their duty.

Awesome, thank you! I just messaged her and asked her to just go ahead and try to get both weeks off, especially now in light of the CDC news, maybe we have a better chance of getting the exemptions approved.

I'm that lucky (?) guy who's been called twice for jury duty at times when I was supposed to be on a cruise. In both cases, once I called and explained the situation they were more than willing to delay my service to a later time. Your mileage may vary, but I got the impression that they're so used to hearing bogus excuses from people just trying to get out of jury duty that, once they realized I wasn't trying to get out of it, they were happy to help. 

That said, a grand jury is a little different kind of animal. But it can't hurt to ask. Good luck!

13 hours ago, Bowen said:

We're supposed to be cruising a week in August and a week in September provided our religious exemptions come through. My mom just got Jury Duty for six months, every other Wednesday through the end of the year. And of course both weeks are dates that she is supposed to be sitting on the Grand Jury. We do have the RC vacation protection plan, so my question is, will this be covered? If I call and cancel because of jury duty, even though it's not for me, will I get a refund? We don't want to go with only part of the family, and we are in the same room, so I'm kind of feeling out my options. She feels terrible that she didn't realize it, and while she might be able to request off, she's not sure she can do it twice in such close succession. I realize she should have just let Jury duty know about the trips in advance, but with all the exemption stuff going on she just forgot, so no sense crying over spilled milk. Anyone dealt with this?

I'd read the conditions in the insurance plan, which for Arch/AON are located online.  My wife had 'regular" jury duty postponed for one of our cruises, but we contacted our county as soon as we got the notification letter.

My experience has been either being excused for those particular dates, or they will just schedule the Grand Jury service for another period of time. Petit Jury also can be rescheduled. The point is you’re not looking to get out of serving, as many people try to do…and the excuses are so imaginative and seemingly unique. But the judges and clerks have pretty much heard it all! Just show your reservation confirmation and they should reschedule. 
*note; I saw one person who tried to show a reservation for a trip…but the clerk noted that the reservation was made after the jury service notification was received. She got called out for trying to escape service. Don’t know the final result. Good luck!

30 minutes ago, BrianB said:

My experience has been either being excused for those particular dates, or they will just schedule the Grand Jury service for another period of time. Petit Jury also can be rescheduled. The point is you’re not looking to get out of serving, as many people try to do…and the excuses are so imaginative and seemingly unique. But the judges and clerks have pretty much heard it all! Just show your reservation confirmation and they should reschedule. 
*note; I saw one person who tried to show a reservation for a trip…but the clerk noted that the reservation was made after the jury service notification was received. She got called out for trying to escape service. Don’t know the final result. Good luck!

This is my big concern, the reservations were made almost a year ago, but she knew about them before going in for jury duty. Hopefully they will understand the chaos of travel arrangements happening right now and understand that she just forgot to mention that she might be traveling. Even that's still up in the air, I'll call on Thursday, which would be three weeks out for us, but they did say it could be as close as two weeks out before we're given an answer.

1 hour ago, Bowen said:

. Even that's still up in the air, I'll call on Thursday, which would be three weeks out for us, but they did say it could be as close as two weeks out before we're given an answer.

Someone in one of the posts here had waited to 2 weeks before sailing to contact Royal about their exemption to be told that the email went out 2 weeks prior (so it would have been 4 weeks before the cruise).   The post said they had no such email, and had checked their spam folder and verified the email address with Royal.  They had been denied.  You might want to call Royal now, if indeed they are letting people know at 4 weeks out.

24 minutes ago, Pattycruise said:

Someone in one of the posts here had waited to 2 weeks before sailing to contact Royal about their exemption to be told that the email went out 2 weeks prior (so it would have been 4 weeks before the cruise).   The post said they had no such email, and had checked their spam folder and verified the email address with Royal.  They had been denied.  You might want to call Royal now, if indeed they are letting people know at 4 weeks out.

I’ve been calling every week since the six week point just for this reason. I’ll call again on Thursday. Hopefully the CDC thing will mean opening up more space to unvaxxed.