RoyalUp success

Okay...I figured I'd post details here for those who are interested in how this works...or doesn't.  Of course, realize that this is purely anecdotal.  Every instance of a RoyalUp bid would be completely its own situation and timing, amounts, results may all vary.  But here is my story:

We're booked on the Vision of the Seas, 8 nights out of Barcelona--August 5.  We originally booked this back on September 2...booked an Ocean View cabin--#3608, primarily to save money as it is only part of a larger 30 day trip.  We got it for approximately $2000 total for two (inc. fees and taxes) and a balcony cabin would have cost substantially more.

Usually, I make the determination of category based on price differences...if it's a moderate amount to move up, we'll book at least a balcony.  This one was considerable, so we figured "just get us on the ship".  It is port extensive with zero at sea days so, mainly, we're using the cabin to sleep and change clothes.

June 13, we checked on the RoyalUp thing...and the minimum bid to move to a balcony was $100 pp.  I figured that, if the price difference had been under $150 pp at the time of booking, we would have booked a balcony.  Nicer view, but, more importantly, more spacious room.  I figured they'd get a lot of bids at the minimum, so I went a little higher.  $135 pp.  I might have been bidding against myself...but figured a few extra dollars doesn't matter that much.  I also looked at the then available cabins--and the only category with decent numbers available was "Spacious" balcony.

Here we are on July 18.  Cruise is 18 days away...and I received notice that we had been upgraded to a "Spacious" balcony--#7110.  End result is this 8 night Med cruise in the spacious balcony cabin is costing us $2270...not bad.  If we hadn't gotten the "RoyalUp", we would still have been very happy just being on the cruise.

Only issue left is that the online luggage tags still show the old cabin number.  I am expecting that changes soon.

13 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

Only issue left is that the online luggage tags still show the old cabin number.  I am expecting that changes soon.

CONGRATS!

FYI: When we won our Royal Up bid for Odyssey back in January, I reached out to RC on Twitter to ask about new Cruise Docs/Luggage Tags/Set Sail Passes. The representative let me know that they should be available within 48 hours. (In actuality it only took about 6 hours)

1 hour ago, Bruin Steve said:

If we hadn't gotten the "RoyalUp", we would still have been very happy just being on the cruise.

This is how we look at the whole Royal Up process.  When our bids have been accepted, we are happy.  When our bids have expired and we have no upgrade, we're happy too.