Downsizing baggage

Done

The thread on this forum (Question of the decade) regarding keep or replace old luggage and some of the responses has me thinking.  My current carry on roller just fits is the "test your carry on size" cage at airline gates.  I cannot imagine being able to pack enough clothes in that bag to last for a week long cruise.  For you frugal packers, how the heck do you do it?

We use the heck out of the ship’s laundry. I saw someone post that when you do the math, ship laundry is cheaper than the extra bag charges. Just be careful if you go the laundry route. We’ve lost a few delicates. I believe they must boil the laundry, lol. But they will fold a pocket square if you have one and place it for you. 

9 minutes ago, Sea Squirrel said:

We use the heck out of the ship’s laundry. I saw someone post that when you do the math, ship laundry is cheaper than the extra bag charges. Just be careful if you go the laundry route. We’ve lost a few delicates. I believe they must boil the laundry, lol. But they will fold a pocket square if you have one and place it for you. 

I thought that too but we fly Southwest exclusively so there are no bag charges.  To that end, Port Liberty in New Jersey in no longer embarkation port we will consider after SW stopped flying to Newark.

I was intrigued by the convenience of not checking bags and big reduction of the risk of losing a suitcase.

28 minutes ago, Toby said:

The thread on this forum (Question of the decade) regarding keep or replace old luggage and some of the responses has me thinking.  My current carry on roller just fits is the "test your carry on size" cage at airline gates.  I cannot imagine being able to pack enough clothes in that bag to last for a week long cruise.  For you frugal packers, how the heck do you do it?

I'm a guy and can do it easily. For Carribean, I pack 1 or 2 pants for dinner, 2 shorts, 7 underwear and socks, 1 swim suit, 7 polo style shirts plus 3 t shirts, a sport coat and my bathroom bag. 

I also take a normal size backpack with a change of clothes and usually 2 bottles of wine.

1 hour ago, Toby said:

I thought that too but we fly Southwest exclusively so there are no bag charges.  To that end, Port Liberty in New Jersey in no longer embarkation port we will consider after SW stopped flying to Newark.

I was intrigued by the convenience of not checking bags and big reduction of the risk of losing a suitcase.

Even though Newark is closer to Cape Liberty, Southwest does fly out of LaGuardia.  If you haven't been to LGA in a while it is a completely new experience with the new terminals now open.

It's interesting the huge spectrum for travelers packing  the least, as opposed to folks like me that a steamer trunk would be too small.

I cover all the bases.  I bring tons of clothes, shoes, and accessories.

So for me, I cannot bring less, but I can pack it into the most efficient luggage possible.  I Have the largest acceptable hard-sided roll around for a carry-on, and a pretty huge hard-sided, expandable suitcase. 

1 hour ago, wordell1 said:

I'm a guy and can do it easily. For Carribean, I pack 1 or 2 pants for dinner, 2 shorts, 7 underwear and socks, 1 swim suit, 7 polo style shirts plus 3 t shirts, a sport coat and my bathroom bag. 

I also take a normal size backpack with a change of clothes and usually 2 bottles of wine.

All sounds familiar.  I even have my wife down to only a carry on and back pack.  We can even do b2b that same way.ive to a port instead of flying

Though I have relented when we drive to a port instead of flying, as long as she can do self departure she can bring what she wants.

16 minutes ago, CruiseGus said:

All sounds familiar.  I even have my wife down to only a carry on and back pack.  We can even do b2b that same way.ive to a port instead of flying

Though I have relented when we drive to a port instead of flying, as long as she can do self departure she can bring what she wants.

My wife is not 100% onboard, which definitely reduces the effectiveness of my no checked bags on flights.

We just did a 4-nighter on Navigator of the Seas...I had no trouble packing EVERYTHING--4 days of clothes with changes to long pants and different shirts for dinner, all of my toiletries...AND my CPAP and iPad and all associated electronics in one 22" carry-on roller...with space to spare.  My wife, OTOH, filled the same large 30" rolling hybrid duffel she uses for much longer trips...and it was tight.  Men and women pack differently.  I can travel with one pair of shoes that matches everything.  She can't.  Every outfit requires different shoes.  I can use the free cruise line shampoo and soap.  She can't.  Her stuff is "special".  I just need a toothbrush, toothpaste, razor and deodorant.  She's got dozen of little bottles.

Here's how to pack light:  Bring lighter clothes.  Recognize that things like pants or shorts can be worn more than once.  Minimize the "extras".  Forget any formal night requirements.  If there is any chilly weather to be encounterd, NYLON windbreaker and NYLON wind pants.

Now, the challenge comes in two weeks...We are flying overnight to Barcelona, spending 2 nights there, boarding Vision of the Seas for 8 nights, 3 more nights in Barcelona, fly to Reykjavik, 3 nights there, board Celebrity Summit for 12 nights, one night ien Boston, fly home... THIRTY NIGHTS TOTAL...I will pack one 50 pound piece of luggage.  Carefully plan out use of laundry services on Vision ($25 per bag as Diamond) and Summit (free as Elite Plus)...and maybe wash out a piece or two in the cabin or hotel sink as necessary.  

Yeah I apparently never got that “girl” gene.  For a week long cruise I bring 4-5 brushed cotton dresses that can be rolled up in a ball and then shaken out wrinkle free, 2 pr of capris, 3-4 tops 2 bathing suits, yoga pants & couple camis for bed, underwear, my toiletries and makeup fit in 1 qt size ziplock bag, brown sandals & grey sandals one color or the other goes with everything.  I can easily get that all in a carry on with room to spare.

Someone on this forum had written an hysterical post about the laundry.  I finally decided to give it a whirl and was very happy I did not put my “good clothes” in the wash.  My white underwear is now a lovely shade of gray (as expected).  The one big on me shirt I included in the wash did not shrink as I’d hoped (I’m sure if it was a normal to me shirt it would have) hubby had no complaints about his tshirts.  I’d never use the wash for anything but underwear or his shirts.  
Ill need to be creative for my European sailing, but my goal is one of those 21” bags, like a number of you seem to be able to do 

I can get at least 8 days in a 20in carry-in and backpack, and I am a plus size woman. Usually, 3-4 packing cubes, small toiletries bag, 2 pairs of shoes and my fan are what I always bring. Clothing includes underwear, 4 dresses, 2 shorts, 2-3 blouses, 1-2 pants, 4 t-shirts, pjs, little folding bag, and a bathing suit. I mix and match and usually bring dresses I can wear all day. Any drinks I purchase around the hotel, which go in the foldable bag.

I also pack a foldable laundry basket (fits flat in the carry on) and a tall kitchen trash bag.  At the end of the trip dirty clothes go in the bag and into the checked bag along with any bottles of liquids I may have picked up. Clean clothes go in the carry on with any breakables I bought.  Makes packing up that last night fairly easy.

17 hours ago, JasonOasis said:

Even though Newark is closer to Cape Liberty, Southwest does fly out of LaGuardia.  If you haven't been to LGA in a while it is a completely new experience with the new terminals now open.

I have been warned the commute from LGA to Newark or Port Liberty is a nightmare.  Is this true? I would fly in a day ahead of time.

I fold then roll.  I wear the bulkiest shoes I am bringing (usually sneakers) and limit my other footwear to 1 flip-flop/sandals and 1 dress shoes. 

I can get 1 week of big and tall clothes in my carry-on.  Its bulging a little (extender zipper isn't unzipped) but I haven't been stopped by an airline since I gave up flying Frontier a while ago.  I don't bring a dinner jacket and keep my clothes to lighter fabrics.  My shorts aren't bulky cotton cargo style, they are polyester golf shorts.  My shirts are lightweight fishing shirts and dry-fit polos.  Socks get stuffed inside my dress shoes.  My toiletries get limited to a quart sized zip-lock bag.  Travel bottles are key!  Medications go into a pill by day holder (flat).  If I pack it right, I can do layers with dress shirts and khaki's on top folded only and not rolled.  Underwear goes into the flap zipper pouch.  On the outside, my bag has an upper small pouch and a larger lower pouch.  I can get my size 14 Olukai flip-flops in this pouch. Having clothes made with fabrics that don't wrinkle easily (or un-wrinkle when hung) is helpful.  Even with this, I find I still come home with clean clothes because on a swim day, the non-swimming outfit will get worn portions of two days as they don't get that dirty.

21 hours ago, Sea Squirrel said:

That was me.  I have a few posts and comments about packing light.

1 hour ago, Toby said:

Thank you all for your advice!!  We are going on a 7 night Caribbean cruise in October.  I'm going to take these tips to heart and pack just a carry on and backpack.  The hard part will be convincing my wife to do likewise. 🙂

If it is the Caribbean, my humble opinion is that you just don't need all of the clothes.   Even for Alaska, we took one backpack and one carry-on.  Only used the laundry service once.  To each his/her own.  Like I mentioned above, I have several posts and comments on how to pack light for a cruise.  

If dressing to the nines is your thing, pack away!  If relaxing and not worrying about what other people think, go light.  

I've found that if I pack heavy I don't wear most of the stuff. A couple pairs of pants, shorts, and one or two button down shirts for dinner, a polo shirt or two. The rest are Tshirts, socks and underwear which take no room.  Also a real light jacket. Of course you're wearing one set of clothes on embarkation day and usually sneakers so that doesn't have to be packed either. I take a casual pair of shoes and sandals. No dress up or formal clothes for me which really cuts a lot out. That stuff easily fits in a 24 inch carry on. Then I take a travel bag and put my essential stuff (electronics, toiletries, wine etc.)  in there and usually a couple of extra items of clothing.  Works well.

3 hours ago, Toby said:

I have been warned the commute from LGA to Newark or Port Liberty is a nightmare.  Is this true? I would fly in a day ahead of time.

If flying in the day early I don't think it would be a problem at all. We live in NJ and have flown out of LGA several times in the past 30+ years. 10 years ago I would say it was a problem but they have completed most of the work at LGA and it's really not far (17 miles) from the EWR (Newark Airport) / Cape Liberty area. Depending on the time of day the worse case scenario would be about 1 to 1 1/2 hour commute. With no traffic (very early morning / late night) could be less. If coming in the day early and you are not under pressure to get to the port then it wouldn't be so bad IMHO.

Ya know, there's just not just one criteria that matches everybody's needs.  If you can pack light and get away with it, I'm envious.  My wife does far better than me.  But, her clothes are sheer and frilly, and she's truly half my size. 

Most of our cruises are from the Southeast.  That's a full day of travel and a motel night (or two) for us, and we're leaving the dank Northwest.  We have to have a day or two of winter wear on top of 8 days of fun-wear.  My daily wear is heavy cotton or a blend of cotton/polyester.  No matter how I fold them, jeans and a coat, for example, take up a lot of room.  Other than when I'm actually on a cruise, I dress in heavy duty outdoor clothing.  Again, that stuff all takes a lot of room. 

Add a sport coat, slacks, and dress shoes, and I'm full up.  I fully understand, these are my choices, and I'm sure few folks walk in step with me, clothing-wise.

I often have clothes that I have never touched during a cruise.  But I've also been on cruises where I ended up washing clothes in the sink because I ran out.  I just have a need to cover all the possible bases.  Call it a curse.  But I'd rather have too much than not enough, and I cannot always determine where that line is.🛫

36 minutes ago, Pattycruise said:

I’m thinking if I could break the habit of packing like I’m a Girl Scout leader -first aid kit, medicines for every occasion, sewing kit, scissors (you’d be amazed how handy they are 😂), and all the other “must haves” I might be able to do this

I do this too, but I place it all in a packing cube or toiletries bag. I often take travel size "just in case" medicines and double what I actually would need packed in smaller case/baggies.

My biggest issue was clothes and I have learned to go with what I know. I actually have cruise/vacation clothes that I only wear for those occasions. They are my tried and true because they travel well and hold up to the weather. 

17 hours ago, WAYNO said:

I often have clothes that I have never touched during a cruise.  But I've also been on cruises where I ended up washing clothes in the sink because I ran out.  I just have a need to cover all the possible bases.  Call it a curse.  But I'd rather have too much than not enough, and I cannot always determine where that line is.🛫

Living in NJ this is why my wife loves sailing out of Bayonne, NJ (Not NY). She can pack extra and not worry because we are not flying. 15 minute drive to the pier makes it so easy for us.

You guys ever take into consideration the aftermath of cruising with alot of luggage?

For us, even with one back pack and one carry-on each, after the cruise, we had to do at least 3 loads of laundry (whites are always separate load), folding, putting away clothes, etc.  

Also, our flights home were cancelled three times.  We had to lug around luggage at the airport and back to a hotel room and then back to the airport.  These are things to consider as well.  As you can see, I am highly in favor of packing light.

55 minutes ago, CruisingNewb said:

You guys ever take into consideration the aftermath of cruising with alot of luggage?

For us, even with one back pack and one carry-on each, after the cruise, we had to do at least 3 loads of laundry (whites are always separate load), folding, putting away clothes, etc.  

Also, our flights home were cancelled three times.  We had to lug around luggage at the airport and back to a hotel room and then back to the airport.  These are things to consider as well.  As you can see, I am highly in favor of packing light.

I fortunately have to deal with just me myself and I when it comes to laundry post-vacation but yeah, there's a lot of it. Almost 2 weeks worth on a 7-night considering how much I change clothes on a cruise vacay (got your shore excursion outfit, your swimwear, your dinner outfit and your comfy outfit!). Fortunately I started using a laundry service and I save up (clothes and money) so they can deal with it instead of me. $60 bucks and they take my giant 40 lbs of laundry wash em, fold em and drop them off at my door.

5 hours ago, mpdahmer said:

Living in NJ this is why my wife loves sailing out of Bayonne, NJ (Not NY). She can pack extra and not worry because we are not flying. 15 minute drive to the pier makes it so easy for us.

Don't take it for granted.  I have been on many sailings out of NJ this past year and we received the letter on Day 2 or Day 3 "a passenger is missing a piece of luggage, please check your luggage and make sure it is yours".

51 minutes ago, CrimsonCruiser said:

Fortunately I started using a laundry service and I save up (clothes and money) so they can deal with it instead of me. $60 bucks and they take my giant 40 lbs of laundry wash em, fold em and drop them off at my door.

I recently put this on my recommendations for post cruise for people.  
1-Have your grocery order set for delivery
2-Drop off laundry
3-Order in Take out and have your "vacation is over drink"

On 7/17/2022 at 11:52 PM, Ampurp85 said:

I can get at least 8 days in a 20in carry-in and backpack

Also, the 20in carry-on will be good for a European flight as well.  Standard US carry-on is around 21-22 inches (if it has wheels) and you will be forced to check that size in Europe.

15 minutes ago, FSUFAN said:

Also, the 20in carry-on will be good for a European flight as well.  Standard US carry-on is around 21-22 inches (if it has wheels) and you will be forced to check that size in Europe.

Southwest publishes on their web page that the max size for a carry on bag is 24"L x 16"W x 10"H

2 hours ago, Toby said:

Southwest publishes on their web page that the max size for a carry on bag is 24"L x 16"W x 10"H

Looks like Southwest, Frontier and Sun Country allow 24.  The rest are 22. So a 22in gets you on every US carrier. A 24in limits you to those 3 airlines.

I got "dinged" by EasyJet in Barcelona on a trip to Geneva with a bag that was allowed by American Airlines (which is how I got to Barcelona). Cost me about $50. 

https://travel.usnews.com/features/carry-on-luggage-sizes-size-restrictions-by-airline

9 minutes ago, FSUFAN said:

Looks like Southwest, Frontier and Sun Country allow 24.  The rest are 22. So a 22in gets you on every US carrier. A 24in limits you to those 3 airlines.

I got "dinged" by EasyJet in Barcelona on a trip to Geneva with a bag that was allowed by American Airlines (which is how I got to Barcelona). Cost me about $50. 

https://travel.usnews.com/features/carry-on-luggage-sizes-size-restrictions-by-airline

Forgot.  My sister who was a 30 year FA said "No 4 wheel bags".  The 4 wheel bags give you less room as the wheels are more pronounced.  2 Wheel bags tend to have the wheels tucked under the bag and you have more space.  You can get a lot of rolled up underwear or lightweight t-shirts in those extra 2 inches.  The wheels do count in the overall length.

image.png.61d5d0fb72dd63f89cba6c724adf6de6.pngimage.png.acaf6b378c8468e4cf69187b6585e992.png

26 minutes ago, FSUFAN said:

Forgot.  My sister who was a 30 year FA said "No 4 wheel bags".  The 4 wheel bags give you less room as the wheels are more pronounced.  2 Wheel bags tend to have the wheels tucked under the bag and you have more space.  You can get a lot of rolled up underwear or lightweight t-shirts in those extra 2 inches.  The wheels do count in the overall length.

image.png.61d5d0fb72dd63f89cba6c724adf6de6.pngimage.png.acaf6b378c8468e4cf69187b6585e992.png

Personally if you do a lot of traipsing around at airports, as i have done for business travel, I will gladly trade that "2 inches" of space for the convenience and maneuverability of a "4 wheel bag"  But that's just my opinion. 

My preference for carry-on only is no wheels. Besides having a lighter bag with more volume without wheels, you're more maneuverable in tight quarters using a shoulder strap, the bag isn't going to have wheel problems over uneven surfaces (like cobblestone streets), you don't need to worry about a wheel breaking, and they work better with overhead compartments in aircraft. 

A45_details27_1728x.webp

Tri-Star-Business-Travel-Backpack_1728x.webp

20 minutes ago, Rackham said:

My preference for carry-on only is no wheels. Besides having a lighter bag with more volume without wheels, you're more maneuverable in tight quarters using a shoulder strap, the bag isn't going to have wheel problems over uneven surfaces (like cobblestone streets), you don't need to worry about a wheel breaking, and they work better with overhead compartments in aircraft.

Agreed with this philosophy when I was Younger, but after attaining my 50's it was just to much work to carry when I could roll.