Question on double points for current cruise.

My wife and I are booked on symphony this September 2022. We have already paid in full and we have booked a ocean balcony.  I realize under our current room category we would get one point per night. A total of 7 for each of us. I saw a thread earlier that said if you were a single person in a room you would get double points for the cruise which would be 14. The question I had was would it be possible to keep my wife in the balcony and book myself in the cheapest interior room? I wasn’t sure since we are already paid in full. The other question would be it’s about 1400 for the cheapest interior would it be worth to pay that extra to get the extra points? We are currently platinum and we are 12 points away from emerald. 
Thank you. 

I don't believe in paying significant $$ just to get a few more points -- better to book another cruise.  Even if you get to Diamond a little faster, at $30-$50/day savings, you'd need to sail an additional 3-4 weeks' worth of cruises for "payback" on your investment.  Maybe take that money and buy RCI stock, or book another cruise, as I've stated.

Personally I don't think it's worth it for Emerald.  If climbing the CAS ladder is important to you in tne long term then consider this as a strategy in the future but for existing booked cruise it's not worth it.  

Cruise because you love to cruise. Don't chase points as a reason to cruise.  

Worth is subjective and the benefits moving from Platinum to Emerald aren't as impressive as moving from Emerald to Diamond. Personally, for $1,400 I'd much rather cruise another week instead of spending $1,400 to change levels from where you're currently standing. Moving from Emerald to Diamond? I'd consider taking the plunge if I was cruising as a couple instead of solo. Switching levels above Diamond? Eh, we're back to cruising another week versus trying to fast track C&A levels.

Since you're paid in full, you'd need to call Royal and see if that particular change is possible. Most likely the answer is yes, but the difference would be refunded as on-board credit instead of a cash refund.

Thank you for your responses. I do appreciate your perspective. We do love cruising and eventually we would love to achieve Diamond status. After reading the responses I do agree about using the extra money to put towards another cruise instead of getting the double points. 

21 minutes ago, ChessE4 said:

I don't believe in paying significant $$ just to get a few more points -- better to book another cruise.  Even if you get to Diamond a little faster, at $30-$50/day savings, you'd need to sail an additional 3-4 weeks' worth of cruises for "payback" on your investment.  Maybe take that money and buy RCI stock, or book another cruise, as I've stated.

20 minutes ago, twangster said:

Personally I don't think it's worth it for Emerald.  If climbing the CAS ladder is important to you in tne long term then consider this as a strategy in the future but for existing booked cruise it's not worth it.  

Cruise because you love to cruise. Don't chase points as a reason to cruise.  

17 minutes ago, Rackham said:

Worth is subjective and the benefits moving from Platinum to Emerald aren't as impressive as moving from Emerald to Diamond. Personally, for $1,400 I'd much rather cruise another week instead of spending $1,400 to change levels from where you're currently standing. Moving from Emerald to Diamond? I'd consider taking the plunge if I was cruising as a couple instead of solo. Switching levels above Diamond? Eh, we're back to cruising another week versus trying to fast track C&A levels.

Since you're paid in full, you'd need to call Royal and see if that particular change is possible. Most likely the answer is yes, but the difference would be refunded as on-board credit instead of a cash refund.

Thank you very much for the quick replies.

9 minutes ago, Toby said:

Just a reminder to qualify for the C&A double points promotion bookings were to be made by September 30, 2021 for sailings departing by December 31, 2022.

Thank you. This was a last minute cruise we booked for this September. We just booked it a week ago.

A better strategy is to see what an upgrade to a JS would cost. The advantage is that you get to enjoy the JS for whatever extra cost you ate incurring. I wouldn't book a room you won't use just for points.

Note that Royal Up does not get you the double points. You would need to do it through your TA or Royal.

10 minutes ago, wordell1 said:

A better strategy is to see what an upgrade to a JS would cost. The advantage is that you get to enjoy the JS for whatever extra cost you ate incurring. I wouldn't book a room you won't use just for points.

Note that Royal Up does not get you the double points. You would need to do it through your TA or Royal.

Thank you for your reply. I did call royal and on our sailing it would cost around 2500 to upgrade to a guaranteed junior suite. I agree about not  booking the extra room only for the double points after reading the response above. We would rather spend that money on another royal cruise. 

side question but along the same lines, we have an alaska cruise in August in a JS on Radiance, when we booked we we under the impression we would get 4x points, making us diamond after that cruise. All our previous cruises post pandemic were GS or OS and we got 4x points, double points when we booked under the promotion and double again for suites. Then I read one of the articles that said you get 2x for JS only on quantum or oasis class. We got got 4x on non quantum/oasis but were higher than JS so I may have calculated this incorrectly. now I'm doubting that will happen.

• 2 weeks later...