Food or Restaurants to Skip?

FManke

Everbody seems to have an opinion about what foods or restaurants on board any RCCL ship, are must haves. Being a first time cruiser, and with so many options. I would like to know, what are the foods or restaurants to skip?

Thanks!

Serenade of the Seas-New England and Canada-Oct 2017

I can't recall any restaurants that I would skip on our recent Freedom of the Seas adventure....but!    There are a few dishes that I definitely wouldn't recommend.   The first had to be their "hash browns"....they were subpar.  Buffet Eggs were lackluster and watery.  Any egg dish ordered for room service were not the best.  To recommend an "egg dish" I found the Eggs Benedict served in the MDR were actually good.  

Food served in Sabor was good...but I find the restaurant non deserving of their "upcharge".  They were serving ordinary fare....with a flashy presentation only.  

I'm assuming (yes, I know what it makes you and me) you'll be on Serenade. We were on her this past October, and overall we couldn't complain about the food. Had 2 servings of scallops one night...1st was awesome, 2nd awful...who knows why.

We ate at Rita's Cantina 1 night and enjoyed it (though not as good as Sabor, which Serenade does not have).

Windjammer is pretty bland for breakfast (though we go there every morning...), but for lunch it's pretty darn good, for a buffet. Never had a Windjammer dinner yet.

Fmanke -

We always really enjoy the Main Dining Room's variety. There are a lot of innovative dishes.  If you live in a big city and are used to steak and sushi, then skip the extra-charge restaurants.  If you live in a smaller town, these specialty restaurants might be more fun.  (I've lived in both).

We find the buffet to be great for breakfast or lunch (especially if you take a plate out to your lounger by the sea).  But the buffet is kind of pedestrian for dinner.  

We find the buffet to be great for breakfast or lunch (especially if you take a plate out to your lounger by the sea). But the buffet is kind of pedestrian for dinner.

We found the complete opposite on our last couple of cruise with a theme every night and at least two cooking stations. On the Allure, they had a gourmet burger night and even crab legs one night.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We find the buffet to be great for breakfast or lunch (especially if you take a plate out to your lounger by the sea).  But the buffet is kind of pedestrian for dinner.  

I've only had dinner in the Windjammer maybe 3 times in over 120 days at sea.  But it's where I discovered Indian food, and my life hasn't been the same since.  Give it a try!

Royal has definitely improved the design in the Windjammer. We actually found three did to be better for dinner in the Windjammer than in the MDR. I wouldn't be surprised if in the future they end up with the buffet being the main restaurant with restaurants you book (both complimentary and surcharge) for dinner like many of the AI resorts. They'll keep a restaurant gift suites like club class rooms at resorts.

Just to be clear, nothing has been started but have there been any rumors. I just wouldn't be surprised if they moved in this direction residually since many AI resorts have started to charge for room service despite marketing themselves as all-inclusive.

Royal has definitely improved the design in the Windjammer. We actually found three did to be better for dinner in the Windjammer than in the MDR. I wouldn't be surprised if in the future they end up with the buffet being the main restaurant with restaurants you book (both complimentary and surcharge) for dinner like many of the AI resorts. They'll keep a restaurant gift suites like club class rooms at resorts.

Just to be clear, nothing has been started but have there been any rumors. I just wouldn't be surprised if they moved in this direction residually since many AI resorts have started to charge for room service despite marketing themselves as all-inclusive.

I think some people just have a bad image in their head when you say "buffet." Like a great big school cafeteria. We ate at Boma in Walt Disney World at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, and it was fantastic. A great variety of foods, but cooked in small batches. That's the way to do a buffet!

Guest toodle68

WJ design is different on each ship.. we liked the layout on Majesty and ate there often, but hated it on Liberty. It was chaotic, and not just because of the number of people.  WJ is also the only place on the ship I can find spicy food.  As for the MDR, I would hate for that to ever go away from how it currently is.. we enjoy the dinning experience.. eating over 60-90 minutes. With a buffet, you are in and out within 15-20 minutes.  

I think some people just have a bad image in their head when you say "buffet." Like a great big school cafeteria. We ate at Boma in Walt Disney World at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, and it was fantastic. A great variety of foods, but cooked in small batches. That's the way to do a buffet!

Very good point, and I agree with you regarding Boma. Royal also steps it up for dinner with a grill station and several other cooked to order options.

Everbody seems to have an opinion about what foods or restaurants on board any RCCL ship, are must haves. Being a first time cruiser, and with so many options. I would like to know, what are the foods or restaurants to skip?

Thanks!

Serenade of the Seas-New England and Canada-Oct 2017

Since you are a first time cruiser.....I don't have the qualifications to decide what you might not like.   I have my choices...but you need to experience dining and report back what you loved!!