My first experience cruise with Royal Caribbean

KevinK

My cruise background: 2 Carnival Cruise, 1 Disney Cruise and 1 Norwegian Cruise. 

I have high expectation from Royal Caribbean.  Heard lots of things about Oasis of the Seas,  Almost book Oasis, then pandemic came.  This is my first cruise since Pandemic.

Overall my experience:  7 Night Perfect Day Bahamas Cruise on Oasis of the Seas 7-8-22 to 7-15-22.

I booked a Central Park Stateroom:  Room is kinda small. Sink really low and small, you can't even fit a cup in there.  But I do like the shower, the water pressure is strong and pretty roomy in the shower.  Bed is comfortable, but my bedsheet is not clean.  Cleaning person was friendly and nice.

Food from Main Diner:

Breakfast is horrible.  I try pancake, waffle and French toasted, none of them taste good.  French toasted very hard, sausage link was way too over cook  Only thing good is Corned beef hash & coffee is strong.

Lunch:  After order food, still have to wait over 30 mins before food arrived.  The two tables next to me came after me, and got their food before me and they left while my lunch arrived.  Waiter claim they have to cook my fish.  Isn't all food is pre prepare?  

Dinner:  My waiter is really nice and good (Top Notch Service) His assistant was horrible (By Day 3, they replaced him, we got new assistant waiter).  Dinner food was ok. 

WindJammer:  After the first two days of horrible breakfast from Main Diner.  The rest of the cruise day I ate at WindJammer.  Breakfast was decent, Great service at their buffet.  Waiter walking around offering drinks and picking up the empty plate.  Lunch was pretty good.  The burger was pretty juicy, their fish was pretty good also.  Overall, their buffet is pretty good.  

Shore Excursions:

Booked Blackbeard's Pirate Revenge - Cancel on the day aboard the ship, due to operational reasons.

Booked CocoCay Helium Balloon - Went there, and was told cancel due to high wind.  I didn't feel any high wind that day.

Booked Sushi & Sake- Lunch on Day 6.  It was for a special birthday lunch.   Lucky we checked and confirm, cuz It got cancel and we didn't get any notice.  Went to customer service and check, they call the restaurant and the lady answer the phone said 'It's cancel and nothing they can do, with a very rude tone of voice, and told us we got our refund.  that's not the point.  Shouldn't we get a notices?  there were no notice in my room.

Very sad and disappointed with this Oasis of the seas cruise.  Nothing came out right.  Yes, the ship is huge, there's Central Park & Boardwalk.  I guess that's why they make the room kinda small due to a huge ship.  Food was just ok.  The only thing I like about it is the Aqua 80 show & the frozen in time.  Both show was really good.  Cats was boring.  Most of my party left in the middle of the show, I was the only person stay and finish watching the show.  

Compare to other cruise I been on, this ship is not as good as others.  On the other ship, during the formal night, all the waiter perform a show and dance for us.  Especially on the last nite.  On Oasis of the seas, they sing the 'Sweet Caroline' on the last nite of dinner.

Overall, my first experience with Royal Caribbean is not that great.  Hopefully my next two cruise with Royal will be better.

Already Booked:

5 Night Bermuda Cruise - Adventure of the Seas
Sailing - Sep 10 2022

8 Night Alaska Glacier Cruise - Ovation of the Seas
Sailing - May 11 2023

Thanks for sharing.  I have found that the MDR doesn't warm up syrup to room temperature, so pancakes or French toast just don't taste good.  Remember, if you reognize something is not to your liking, you can notify your waiter and get it replaced or try something else.   

In my opinion, the best stuff at Coco Cay is the free beach - swimming or even snorkeling (you can rent equipment or bring your own).  It's fun sometimes just to lie in the sun.

Did you try any of the concerts in Central Park?   They can be more intimate and enjoyable than more crowed locations.

Hope your next cruise is more fun.  Try to research your ship and learn how you can enjoy it more.  In my opinion, the smaller ships have better shows (although some don't have an ice rink.)

1 hour ago, ChessE4 said:

Thanks for sharing.  I have found that the MDR doesn't warm up syrup to room temperature, so pancakes or French toast just don't taste good.  Remember, if you reognize something is not to your liking, you can notify your waiter and get it replaced or try something else.   

In my opinion, the best stuff at Coco Cay is the free beach - swimming or even snorkeling (you can rent equipment or bring your own).  It's fun sometimes just to lie in the sun.

Did you try any of the concerts in Central Park?   They can be more intimate and enjoyable than more crowed locations.

Hope your next cruise is more fun.  Try to research your ship and learn how you can enjoy it more.  In my opinion, the smaller ships have better shows (although some don't have an ice rink.)

I am the type of person don't like to return food or waste food.  If it's elidable I will finish it, unless if is really awful or taste bad, then I won't finish it.  No I didn't try any of the concerts in central park, since I had a central park room.  there's were time I listen the music.  I also try the rising tide bar it was a fun experience.  Wanted to try the  bionic bar also, but the timing is never on our side.  Hopefully I will get to try that next time.

1 hour ago, KevinK said:

I am the type of person don't like to return food or waste food.  If it's elidable I will finish it, unless if is really awful or taste bad, then I won't finish it.  No I didn't try any of the concerts in central park, since I had a central park room.  there's were time I listen the music.  I also try the rising tide bar it was a fun experience.  Wanted to try the  bionic bar also, but the timing is never on our side.  Hopefully I will get to try that next time.

I'm with you on one thing.  I never return food to the kitchen.  You never know what you get back if you piss off the cook (or anybody in the food chain)!