Driving to Cape Liberty vs Limo

We drive down from NH one or two times a year.  Most often Waze takes us over the GW, but once we went via the Tappan Zee ( yes I know I'm showing my age).  This year was a Friday departure, and I thought it would be rough, we had good weather and an early start, with lots of company compared to a weekend, but not really all that bad considering.  I think it all depends on how comfortable you are driving in some traffic.  The port is super easy to get in and out of.  Its only about ten minutes to 95

9 hours ago, Qeytondude said:

We drive down from NH one or two times a year.  Most often Waze takes us over the GW, but once we went via the Tappan Zee ( yes I know I'm showing my age).  This year was a Friday departure, and I thought it would be rough, we had good weather and an early start, with lots of company compared to a weekend, but not really all that bad considering.  I think it all depends on how comfortable you are driving in some traffic.  The port is super easy to get in and out of.  Its only about ten minutes to 95

I’m north of the Tappanzee (i will always call it this) and Waze always wants me to go to the GW.  I don’t mind the GW, it’s the highway signage after it that drives me nuts.  I will take the Tap, bypass 9W, and the Palisades and we make our way to the Garden Stste parkway, just to avoid “the nonsense”. 

I’ll be taking this drive in 27 days.  Heading to Bayonne will be a Saturday so I do not anticipate any traffic issues.  However, my return will be on a Thursday morning…thinking I will most likely have to deal with traffic then?  Since parking will cost just $125. I never considered hiring a limo, which would be awesome, so I just priced it out and it would cost well over $1,000!  Guess I will just have to deal with the traffic on my return!

Thanks for the few driving route tips…I will do my homework to figure out which route(s) will be best for me to use.

We always drive from New Hampshire the day before and stay near Newark airport. It's about a 4.5 to 5 hour drive depending on traffic. We always go down through the Merritt parkway in CT and over the GW. We'll leave around 10 in the morning which avoids the worst of the traffic.

I'm already planning to drive to FL for our January and March cruises. Nice to be retired and not rally care how long it takes us.

9 hours ago, Pattycruise said:

I’m north of the Tappanzee (i will always call it this) and Waze always wants me to go to the GW.  I don’t mind the GW, it’s the highway signage after it that drives me nuts.  I will take the Tap, bypass 9W, and the Palisades and we make our way to the Garden Stste parkway, just to avoid “the nonsense”. 

You mean it’s called something else now??  I spent a great deal of my childhood going over the Tappan Zee to visit my fathers WWII shipmate in Englewood NJ.  We always took the Garden State to avoid I-95 in NY.

1 hour ago, Pooch said:

You mean it’s called something else now??  I spent a great deal of my childhood going over the Tappan Zee to visit my fathers WWII shipmate in Englewood NJ.  We always took the Garden State to avoid I-95 in NY.

Now it's officially the Governor Mario M. Cuomo bridge (the original Tappan Zee is gone), but most locals I know still call the new bridge the Tappan Zee.  Sort of like how you can spot the tourist if they call the Sears Tower the Willis Tower! 😉

With the price of airline tickets rising, we  have decided to start booking some cruises out of Cape Liberty since the drive from southern Maine isn’t that bad  

We got stuck on the northern approach to the GWB back when pretty much all the lanes to the bridge were shut down.  After that, NYC highway traffic bothers me a bit less. 

On 7/16/2022 at 11:20 PM, Pattycruise said:

Bah, once you get past the GWB it's smooth sailing—just look for the signs for the NJ Turnpike and you are good!

Though if you want to take the Tappanzee, I'd go down the Palisades Pkwy and then get on the Turnpike.  It's more direct.  The Parkway will take you too far west and then you'll need to double back.

21 minutes ago, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

I’ve been reading your responses and see several options but am I correct in assuming that I…driving from RI…will just take 95S all the way?  

Correct.  I live along the northern RI border, quick hop to 95 via 295.

The only time we went out of Port Liberty we went down a day early, stayed a night at a nice hotel that provided a discount for week long parking, and enjoyed that extra night of vacation.  It's about a 4 hour drive for us with normal traffic down 95S.  On the way down, we stopped at our son's apartment in Brooklyn, then went to the hotel via Staten Island.  Going back, we went via the GW.

I live near Philadelphia and Cape Liberty is the port I usually sail out of when I drive to the port. One suggestion for driving there is to leave early and ensure you have plenty of time to get to the port. 95 sucks because there is almost always an unexpected accident or construction. By accounting for the extra time you won't feel rushed. 

6 hours ago, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

I’ve been reading your responses and see several options but am I correct in assuming that I…driving from RI…will just take 95S all the way?  

Yes, it should be 95S all the way.  
I now like to use WAZE app because it will generally send you around any traffic, tells about reported potholes/debris/dead animals in the road and alerts to "accident ahead", "police ahead".  If you have not used it I recommend you try it out beforehand.    My only complaint about the app is the "late notice" it gives if you are doing 55 (or higher) in the left lane and the exit is "pretty much right there" and it says "exit right".  I generally do not look at the screen when I drive, so when I have a passenger it makes it so much better because they can give me the pre-warning about an exit with ample time to move over.

5 hours ago, Pattycruise said:

Yes, it should be 95S all the way.  
I now like to use WAZE app because it will generally send you around any traffic, tells about reported potholes/debris/dead animals in the road and alerts to "accident ahead", "police ahead".  If you have not used it I recommend you try it out beforehand.    My only complaint about the app is the "late notice" it gives if you are doing 55 (or higher) in the left lane and the exit is "pretty much right there" and it says "exit right".  I generally do not look at the screen when I drive, so when I have a passenger it makes it so much better because they can give me the pre-warning about an exit with ample time to move over.

I will use WAZE as well.  Lucky I’ll have my daughter with me to keep me on the right path!  😃