Oasis Class First Impression/Reactioin

My first Oasis Class cruise was on the Oasis, it was also my first Royal cruise.  After being loyal to Brand X for many years and some major disappointments with them, we decided to move on and try something different.  Up until then, the largest ship we have been on was, I believe, the Freedom or Dream of Brand X.

Well, we walked on Oasis into the Promenade and just couldn't believe our eyes.  I just couldn't believe how big it was, massive and the décor, lighting and ambiance was fantastic.  It really didn't hit home, how big it was until we had to walk from our suite, Aqua Theater Suite, which is at the very very aft of the ship, to the theater, which is at the very forward of the ship.  It seemed like I should have called for a Uber.  Now, none of this is negative, just the opposite.  I truly love Oasis Class ships.  

I was just looking at some of my videos of my whole family entering the Oasis and the looks of my daughter, her husband, and our Grandkids was absolutely amazing and a treat to watch how happy they were.  Their eyes just got so big, their mouths dropped, their faces just glowed with joy and anticipated excitement.  I just wish I was a better word smith to express how it made me feel.  This is why I'm so loyal to Royal.  Yes, there are issues.  But, trivial compared to the joy we all experience while ON THE SHIPS.  

I cruised many years ago with my family and loved it. When I moved back to SWFL with my wife I tried to get her to try a cruise but she is/was very afraid of being on the water.

It took 6 years to convince her to try a cruise. I had a coworker who had been cruising Royal for a while and I looked into them and decided on going on the Allure as a 1st cruise for my wife.

After that 1st cruise we did a 4 day on Indy and she said that the 4 day was to short so ...ta da... now I can book anything I want and she is ready to go right there by my side.

She went from "no way" - to "where are we going next!". 

Oh and having a smiling crew member always asking "is there anything else we can do or get for you" that does not hurt at all!!...LOL

Thanks for the report! It makes me look forward to the big-boy ships coming to Galveston! 

I've done 9 cruises on Royal on smaller ships, with two more booked. Then cruise #12 will be on the Allure next September. Since we've done all the ports over and over again, next September will be super fun just to be on the Oasis-class ship!

My wife got us started when she went with her mother on Brilliance back in '05 and liked it enough to book a cruise for both of us.  I remember her sending me an email where she marveled at the sized of the ship.  Our first sail together was on Freedom not long after it launched in '06.  We couldn't imagine a larger ship.  But Oasis had other plans.  We've been on Radiance class twice, Voyager class twice, Freedom class twice, Oasis class 3 times and Quantum once.  The only class I would likely stay away from at this point is Radiance, unless the itinerary was what I wanted.  It's just a bit too small for me.  But all the others each have their pros and cons and I'm good with any of them.

12 minutes ago, Cakemeister said:

Thanks for the report! It makes me look forward to the big-boy ships coming to Galveston! 

I've done 9 cruises on Royal on smaller ships, with two more booked. Then cruise #12 will be on the Allure next September. Since we've done all the ports over and over again, next September will be super fun just to be on the Oasis-class ship!

We JUST got off oasis of the seas from Jersey and booked next year august 2023 Allure from Texas! So excited!

My first RCG ship was Mariner; I had Liberty, Allure and Mariner scheduled again but the shutdown ruined that. So my first ship back was Allure in a 2br GS with 4 newbies to Royal. They were really shocked at the size, so many pics in front joking it was a floating amusement park. When we went to Central Park, they wouldn't shut up about the plants. Three had never cruised before and decided that this would be an annual thing. We are doing Odyssey in Nov and I can't wait to see them marvel at a quantum class with bumper cars and a NorthStar.

My first cruise with Royal was on Adventure of the Seas, after that cruise the next cruise I went on was Norwegian Epic.  Some friends of mine here in Chicago are loyal NCL cruisers and I was out voted as to which cruise line to take so in 2010 I ended up on Epic (that is an ugly cruise ship at least from the outside). I took another Royal Caribbean cruise in 2011 with my sisters again on Adventure out voted again because Adventure was cheaper.

However, my first experience with an Oasis Class cruise ship didn't happen until 2012 on Allure of the Seas. I will never forget being in the cab as we approach Port Everglades and seeing this beautifully designed ship sitting in port and being mesmerized.  And once I stepped on board and saw the Royal Promenade, Boardwalk and Central Park for the first time I was blown away I couldn't believe this was a cruise ship and I was on it.  

That 2012 Allure cruise was also my husbands first cruise ever.  We had met in early fall of 2011 he had never been on a cruise, wasn't interested in cruising he liked going to resorts in the Caribbean and staying there for 7 days.  I made him take the cruise I was like I paid for both of us therefore you don't get a vote this isn't a democracy (and for some reason he decided to stay LOL).  He couldn't even be bother to look at pictures he just wasn't interested in cruising because he loved his resorts. However his reaction when he saw Allure in port was no ****ing way!!!!!  WHAT?!?!?!?!  That is what we are getting on no ****ing way (priceless).  Once he stepped onboard he was in utter disbelief like I was that this was in fact a cruise ship.  The Boardwalk, the Aqua Theater and seeing a full size carousel on a cruise ship was like oh my God wow.

The most memorable part of my first cruise on Allure was strolling through Central Park at night after dinner and sat down on one of the benches, the musician was playing softly we had a drink in hand and we were transported to another place, we forgot we were on a cruise it was a magical moment.  

3 hours ago, KevinJ said:

I sort of feel like I missed an experience. My very first cruise was on Oasis in 2016, so I really had no idea how different it was. 

Oh for sure, you missed out on the appreciation of the differences of size and abundance of shops, entertainment, wide open spaces, and relaxation.   

My first cruise was on Freedom in April 2015, and I was that guy with the jaw on the floor.  I was absolutely 

blown away, from how easy it was to board all the way to disembarkation.  The ports (St Thomas, St. Maarten, and 

the original Coco Cay) were fantastic as well!

Loved it so much that as soon as I got home, I booked the exact same cruise for the next year.

So, two Freedom, two Oasis, and two Harmony's later, I'm stoked for Wonder in December!!

My First experience on a Oasis Class was the Allure OTS in August 2019. That happened to also be our first RCCL cruise. I knew before going on the ship that I wanted to go an Oasis class ship due to its sheer size. Everyone in the family had a great time and I think that when many of our family members caught the cruising bug. We also lucked out and due to the hurricane our cruise was rerouted (western Caribbean instead of the eastern Caribbean as originally planned) and extended (7 night turned into a 10 night). Since then I have only cruised with RCCL. The family did try the quantum class (Anthem OTS) and had a good time as well. I think for me I still prefer the larger Oasis class. I will also say that for me since majority of the time is spent on the ship than at ports, I am very particular in what I like and didn't care for on the ships. I am looking forward to the ICON whenever it comes out. I want to see how RCCL changes with this new class. 

We did technically 7 different cruises (two were back to backs) before we went on Oasis. 

My wife and I both agree that for us, it’s a bit too big.  Conversely, Vision was a bit too small.  Voyager and Freedom classes hit the sweet spot for our needs.  I guess we’re kinda like Goldilocks.  

That all being said, we are planning on booking another cruise on Oasis out of NJ sometime in the near future.  Being able to drive to the port is a big draw. 

Don’t get me wrong, we thoroughly enjoyed our cruise on Oasis and had no real complaints….we just felt it was sooo big that we were kinda overwhelmed.  

2 hours ago, leesam82 said:

My First experience on a Oasis Class was the Allure OTS in August 2019. That happened to also be our first RCCL cruise. I knew before going on the ship that I wanted to go an Oasis class ship due to its sheer size. Everyone in the family had a great time and I think that when many of our family members caught the cruising bug. We also lucked out and due to the hurricane our cruise was rerouted (western Caribbean instead of the eastern Caribbean as originally planned) and extended (7 night turned into a 10 night). Since then I have only cruised with RCCL. The family did try the quantum class (Anthem OTS) and had a good time as well. I think for me I still prefer the larger Oasis class. I will also say that for me since majority of the time is spent on the ship than at ports, I am very particular in what I like and didn't care for on the ships. I am looking forward to the ICON whenever it comes out. I want to see how RCCL changes with this new class. 

Yep, we've been on 2 Quantum class ships, that's about as small as I want to go.  Oasis Class is always my goal/desire.  

We could not agree more! I literally get the chills when I see the larger ships! 😆

So far, we've been fortunate enough to sail on Majesty, Voyager class (Explorer), Freedom class (Liberty), Quantum class (Odyssey), and Oasis class (Allure & Oasis).

Oasis class is by far our favorite! Wonder is next and hopefully we'll catch up finally with Harmony and Symphony (victims of cancellations and ship swaps)!

So much to see, do and eat (or not do if that's your preference)! 😀

Guess I am in the minority. Oasis doesn't ring my bell. I loved Odyssey and prior to that Radiance class was my favorite.

Will I go on an Oasis class? Yes, but I am choosing a cruise not for the ship but something else. Itinerary, departure port, length of cruise would put me on one, but again, not my favorite.

But any cruise is better than no cruise so....

Our first Royal ship was Enchantment, our 2nd was Freedom.  Pretty big differences between those two.

After many cruises we ended up on Empress (tiny) before the pandemic shutdown.  19 months later we boarded our first Oasis class ship Symphony at 30% capacity.  Next two cruises were on Oasis, also sailing with limited capacity.   May never be able to recreate the freedom we had on those giant ships without tons of people.

On 7/15/2022 at 3:12 PM, JasonOasis said:

My first cruise with Royal was on Adventure of the Seas, after that cruise the next cruise I went on was Norwegian Epic.  Some friends of mine here in Chicago are loyal NCL cruisers and I was out voted as to which cruise line to take so in 2010 I ended up on Epic (that is an ugly cruise ship at least from the outside). I took another Royal Caribbean cruise in 2011 with my sisters again on Adventure out voted again because Adventure was cheaper.

However, my first experience with an Oasis Class cruise ship didn't happen until 2012 on Allure of the Seas. I will never forget being in the cab as we approach Port Everglades and seeing this beautifully designed ship sitting in port and being mesmerized.  And once I stepped on board and saw the Royal Promenade, Boardwalk and Central Park for the first time I was blown away I couldn't believe this was a cruise ship and I was on it.  

That 2012 Allure cruise was also my husbands first cruise ever.  We had met in early fall of 2011 he had never been on a cruise, wasn't interested in cruising he liked going to resorts in the Caribbean and staying there for 7 days.  I made him take the cruise I was like I paid for both of us therefore you don't get a vote this isn't a democracy (and for some reason he decided to stay LOL).  He couldn't even be bother to look at pictures he just wasn't interested in cruising because he loved his resorts. However his reaction when he saw Allure in port was no ****ing way!!!!!  WHAT?!?!?!?!  That is what we are getting on no ****ing way (priceless).  Once he stepped onboard he was in utter disbelief like I was that this was in fact a cruise ship.  The Boardwalk, the Aqua Theater and seeing a full size carousel on a cruise ship was like oh my God wow.

The most memorable part of my first cruise on Allure was strolling through Central Park at night after dinner and sat down on one of the benches, the musician was playing softly we had a drink in hand and we were transported to another place, we forgot we were on a cruise it was a magical moment.  

This!

The reaction is always priceless. I have waited almost 8 years to get into an Oasis class. It was worth the wait although I know I could have pulled the plug and went on a cruise much sooner but I was into the all inclusive resorts too and staying "in". Resorts are still fun but after getting into Symphony this past Feb, I just can't wait to get into another 1 this December. I specifically picked the "smaller" ships this past June and a cruise this Sept so I can hopefully experience how massive an Oasis class is.

P.S. my wife and I are near Naperville.