Izumi question(s) . . .

So, I'm going cruising on Adventure in February; last time we did no specialty dining, but I've got some questions about Izumi: 

Is Izumi open for lunch if ordering a la carte (i.e. not part of the "sushi and sake lunch")?

I've heard opinions that if one lives in a large metro area with lots of great sushi restaurants, that Izumi might be underwhelming? 

Do they make everything to order? And if I wanted to order something that's not on the menu (say, for example, a roll with tempura veg, or the tempura appetizer with veg only, no shrimp), is that possible? 

18 minutes ago, skittermagoo said:

Do they make everything to order? And if I wanted to order something that's not on the menu (say, for example, a roll with tempura veg, or the tempura appetizer with veg only, no shrimp), is that possible? 

While Izumi is not a gourmet sushi restaurant, it is above average, IMO.  I am not a sushi lover but Dan is....and he loves Izumi...and I always find something that I enjoy.  I really do not care for nori (seaweed wrap) so I always ask for a soy wrap and they always accommodate me.  So to answer your question about "special order" sushi, my answer would be, "yes".  As long as they have the ingredients, I have no doubt that they would create whatever you ask for.  I also don't eat cream cheese so if I want a roll that normally has cream cheese, I ask them to just leave that out and use a soy wrap and I have never been disappointed.

Izumi is great for cruise ship sushi.  Having said that, we could not eat there more than twice because overall, it was underwhelming compared to places I have been in the past.

Definitely try it.

As to your specific question, Izumi should be open for lunch and dinner depending upon whether you are at sea or in port. You do not have to order the sake and suchi thing.  Ala cart off the menu.  Also, you can order to go and eat in your stateroom or anywhere else you want to eat it.