Specialty Dining on Symphony

DMLM

We sailed on Symphony of the seas June 18th and had a great time.  This was our first cruise back since you know what came around so we really looking forward to this trip.  This was our first trip that we elected to reserve Wonderland, Hooked, and try playmakers.

Wonderland was an amazing experience as many posters have said in various posts.  The food was mind blowing and very tasty.  The decorations and the way the service was set was very entertaining.  On Symphony the restaurant overlooks the boardwalk and the seats we had also enabled us to see past the Aqua theater and Abyss out to the aft with sunset.  What could be better there?

Hooked was not my favorite and that might be based on the fact we ate at Wonderland the day before.  The location was fine (overlooked the front of the ship and Solarium) but the service was not as good.  It was fine but lacking the details.  The food did not meet the high expectations we had.  We grew up in the northeast and really wanted to have great seafood.  I will say the Oysters were fine as was the clam chowder.  Unfortunately the biscuits were dry and the Lobster was lacking.  While not great in the MDR, we actually prefer the tails there compared to the tail or whole lobster in Hooked.  I'm not sure if it was the butter that was provided but the entire thing was tasteless.  I had the perception the lobster was not fresh as the meat had shrunk in the shell and was bland.  Maybe it was just overcooked.

Playmakers was really fun and we enjoyed the food.  Really lived up to what they were trying to create.  We enjoyed wings, burgers, and the campfire cookie dessert.  I would say that we enjoyed our lunch at playmakers far more than dinner at Hooked.

We will definitely be back to Playmakers and plan to try Chops and an Italian specialty on an upcoming cruise.  Any preference between Jaimie's or Giovanni's?  I know they are on different ships but curious if they have the same menu (and recipes) or are there differences.  Do any compare to really good Italian food?   

3 hours ago, DMLM said:

Any preference between Jaimie's or Giovanni's?  I know they are on different ships but curious if they have the same menu (and recipes) or are there differences.  Do any compare to really good Italian food? 

They have different recipes. 

Giovanni's Table has a more upscale dining feel -- white tablecloth type of environment. They have a great filet option for folks who aren't looking to go the pasta route and they have an excellent eggplant parmesan dish.

Jamie's is more casual italian dining -- checkerboard tablecloth type of environment. They really shine in their pasta dishes.  If you like truffles, they have a creamy truffle pasta dish that is great.

Giovanni's Kitchen is the newest Royal Italian concept and it is more casual like Jamie's but has a pizza oven.  Their pizzas are fantastic and they have a lot of great appetizers, plus everyone gets a complimentary shot of limoncello at the end of the mail!