Pre cruise hotel in Ft. lauderdale

I’ve been trying to consider whether it makes more sense to stay at hotel that is very close to the port, or if we should stay more downtown on Las Olas Blvd.  It’s all still very close and I imagine not that much for an Uber to the port.  We won’t go to the beach so we don’t need to stay by that. I like the idea of having options of being able to walk to things rather than have to take an Uber everywhere but it’s not a dealbreaker for the right hotel.

Any recommendations for which area to stay and any hotel recommendations?

thanks in advance 

24 minutes ago, CALFROM said:

I like the idea of having options of being able to walk to things rather than have to take an Uber everywhere but it’s not a dealbreaker for the right hotel.

Depends on what you are looking to walk to.  I find that the ones near the port (17th Street area) have a lot of strip mall type shopping and restaurants in the area that are safe to walk to.  We've stayed at the Embassy Suites the Hyatt Place before and I'd stay at either of those again.

If you want to experience the upscale shopping and dining in the  Las Olas area, then it's entirely reasonable to stay near there.  You are correct that it isn't that much further from the port/airport area than the 17th Street hotels.

At the interchange of Griffin Rd., and I-95 there is several popular hotels, Hilton, Marriot, a couple others, they are the "Airport Hotels.  There is also a Bass Pro with a good, I've heard, we don't do much seafood, restaurant.  Also, just a mile or so west on Griffin Road is Tropical Acres Steak House.  This place puts Chops' Steaks to shame.  Anyway, they all have transportation to the port available, not complementary the last time I checked.  

Disclaimer:  I grew up within a mile of there.  It didn't look anything like it does now.

https://www.tropicalacres.com/menus/

Also, just down the street is the Rustic Inn.  If you like Crab, Frog Legs, Alligator, and a bunch of other critters, this is the place:

https://www.rusticinn.com/

image.png.f06f279e6b33d478c15924a7cc70dfce.png

8 hours ago, CALFROM said:

I’ve been trying to consider whether it makes more sense to stay at hotel that is very close to the port, or if we should stay more downtown on Las Olas Blvd.  It’s all still very close and I imagine not that much for an Uber to the port.  We won’t go to the beach so we don’t need to stay by that. I like the idea of having options of being able to walk to things rather than have to take an Uber everywhere but it’s not a dealbreaker for the right hotel.

Any recommendations for which area to stay and any hotel recommendations?

thanks in advance 

Check out the Riverside Hotel on Las Olas which might be perfect for you. Anywhere in DT Fort Lauderdale is basically 15 min or less to the port. I am local so please let me know if you have any other questions regarding dining suggestions exc. 

I’ll be following this since we will be bringing my parents down from the Midwest for our September cruise.  We have not stayed in the area for a cruise but I have been at a number of the hotels for work stays.  

Since it was mentioned so just adding that I have been to the restaurant at Bass Pro on a couple of occasions.  It was decent, more of a convenient thing on the second and third times.  If you are in the area or shopping there it is an acceptable option but there are some better options if you want a fancier meal.  It seems to be on par with a little bit nicer chain restaurant.  There was a dish or two, I think it was a smoked fish dip app that was pretty tasty, but don’t quote me on that.

edit:  Yes to the Rustic Inn.  If I recall the food was good but parking seemed to be an issue around there.

We had a reservation for the Embassy Suites at a very decent price (I had booked as soon as I booked the cruise).  This is for our September cruise on Allure.  The couple traveling with us waited to book the hotel and the price at Embassy had gone way up!  So going against my better judgement (and keeping us staying at same hotel) I cancelled 😞 the Embassy and booked the hotel they chose.  It is the Ramada by Wyndham Ft Lauderdale/Cruise Port on State Rd.  This one is way cheaper so I am not expecting much…I guess I will find out exactly 2 months from now!  

28 minutes ago, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

We had a reservation for the Embassy Suites at a very decent price (I had booked as soon as I booked the cruise).  This is for our September cruise on Allure.  The couple traveling with us waited to book the hotel and the price at Embassy had gone way up!  So going against my better judgement (and keeping us staying at same hotel) I cancelled 😞 the Embassy and booked the hotel they chose.  It is the Ramada by Wyndham Ft Lauderdale/Cruise Port on State Rd.  This one is way cheaper so I am not expecting much…I guess I will find out exactly 2 months from now!  

All I can say is....you are a good friend.  Not so sure I would have made this sacrifice !!

1 hour ago, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

State Road 84/Marina Mile used (it may still be, I just don't know anymore) to be a fairly swanky in that immediate area (albeit a lot of Boat/Yacht commerce (repairs).  My wife's Lawyer has his office there.  I've never stayed in that particular hotel.  I don't think it was there when I used to live in the area.  If you are driving, it's a straight shot east into Port Everglades.  

1 hour ago, ScooterScott22 said:

I’ll be following this since we will be bringing my parents down from the Midwest for our September cruise.  We have not stayed in the area for a cruise but I have been at a number of the hotels for work stays.  

Since it was mentioned so just adding that I have been to the restaurant at Bass Pro on a couple of occasions.  It was decent, more of a convenient thing on the second and third times.  If you are in the area or shopping there it is an acceptable option but there are some better options if you want a fancier meal.  It seems to be on par with a little bit nicer chain restaurant.  There was a dish or two, I think it was a smoked fish dip app that was pretty tasty, but don’t quote me on that.

edit:  Yes to the Rustic Inn.  If I recall the food was good but parking seemed to be an issue around there.

Uber to the rustic inn. 

The Ramada on SR84 is a real dump. There are better options a bit farther away and much nicer if you prefer not to pay a premium. Do not let proximity to the port be your deciding factor as everything is well connected by highways and little to no traffic on the weekends. I suggest you look at the suburb of Plantation or Sunrise where they have plenty of mid tier (new hotels) at normal prices for this time of year. I would personally rather sleep in my car then at the Ramada. 

23 minutes ago, Moby Dick said:

State Road 84/Marina Mile used (it may still be, I just don't know anymore) to be a fairly swanky in that immediate area (albeit a lot of Boat/Yacht commerce (repairs).  My wife's Lawyer has his office there.  I've never stayed in that particular hotel.  I don't think it was there when I used to live in the area.  If you are driving, it's a straight shot east into Port Everglades.  

Operative term is “used to be”. SR-84 is a bit run down and more commercial (yacht business) now then it was unfortunately. As you know SoFL is hit or miss with millionaires & billionaires living just streets away from run down neighborhoods so it’s sometimes difficult to get a good location pinpointed w/o boots on the ground. 

9 minutes ago, tonyfsu21 said:

Operative term is “used to be”. SR-84 is a bit run down and more commercial (yacht business) now then it was unfortunately. As you know SoFL is hit or miss with millionaires & billionaires living just streets away from run down neighborhoods so it’s sometimes difficult to get a good location pinpointed w/o boots on the ground. 

One thing I forgot to mention:  Again, as I remember it, there was a great German Restaurant approximately across the street (on the other side of 84).  I just looked for it on Google Earth and couldn't find it, so it may not exist anymore because of the expansion to 84.  I love German beer and I used to stop in every now and then.  

I lived in the area when 84 was just a two lane road, no I-595 and the City of Weston was nothing but Everglades, no Alligator Alley (which meant, no toll, just 2 lane SR-84 to the west coast), no I-95 or I-75, the airport only had a small surface parking lot and one L shaped terminal with NO security.  It's amazing to me, the changes.  I still love Jaxson's Ice Cream Parlor in Dania (not Dania Beach when I lived there).  

We are doing Odyssey in Nov out of Ft Lauderdale and my family originally booked the Ramada, I did research and no. I know it cheap but there is a reason why. We booked the Fairfield Inn & Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port instead as it is safer and better quality. That place is worse than a motel.

25 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

We are doing Odyssey in Nov out of Ft Lauderdale and my family originally booked the Ramada, I did research and no. I know it cheap but there is a reason why. We booked the Fairfield Inn & Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port instead as it is safer and better quality. That place is worse than a motel.

Actually, I find in general that Ramada has gone downhill, way downhill in the past couple of decades.  And I totally agree with you with the Fairfield Inns & Suites.  We've stayed there and a couple other in the area a few times and I grew up about a mile away from there.  They are reasonably priced (well not too much stuff is reasonably priced anymore) but NOT cheap.  But, for the cleanliness and security, I'd go for it.

Almost every time someone asks the OPs question, I refer them to that area and group of hotels (see above).  

3 hours ago, tonyfsu21 said:

The Ramada on SR84 is a real dump. There are better options a bit farther away and much nicer if you prefer not to pay a premium. Do not let proximity to the port be your deciding factor as everything is well connected by highways and little to no traffic on the weekends. I suggest you look at the suburb of Plantation or Sunrise where they have plenty of mid tier (new hotels) at normal prices for this time of year. I would personally rather sleep in my car then at the Ramada. 

3 hours ago, Moby Dick said:

One thing I forgot to mention:  Again, as I remember it, there was a great German Restaurant approximately across the street (on the other side of 84).  I just looked for it on Google Earth and couldn't find it, so it may not exist anymore because of the expansion to 84.  I love German beer and I used to stop in every now and then.  

I lived in the area when 84 was just a two lane road, no I-595 and the City of Weston was nothing but Everglades, no Alligator Alley (which meant, no toll, just 2 lane SR-84 to the west coast), no I-95 or I-75, the airport only had a small surface parking lot and one L shaped terminal with NO security.  It's amazing to me, the changes.  I still love Jaxson's Ice Cream Parlor in Dania (not Dania Beach when I lived there).  

84 & 9th: Old Heidelberg. Excellent place and highly recommended. 

• 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, Pooch said:

Ok since you are offering opinions, we are booked at the Springhill Suites in Dania Beach, Southwest 18th Court? Yes? No?

Good location for anything you need pre cruise. Dania Pointe adjacent to this hotel offering plenty of dining options. As for the hotel, I believe it’s somewhat new so you should be ok. 

2 hours ago, EmptyNestTravels said:

Has anyone stayed at the Home2 Suites by Hilton Fort Lauderdale Downtown (315 NW 1st Avenue)?  Any review/feedback to share?

It’s new & location is ok pre cruise. Lots of great spots to eat & drink near by. Flagler Village is a very artsy and up & coming Fort Lauderdale neighborhood. I recommend Sistrunk Marketplace to grab a bite to eat close by. 

We usually stay at Lago Mar when we sail out of Ft. Lauderdale. It is a beach club so everything is “charge to the account”. I don’t believe they allow pay as you go service. The food is pretty good, the pool servers keep the drinks cold and they have quite a few activities. The rooms are a little dated but overall we have enjoyed all our stays there. It is 10 min to the port. 

43 minutes ago, EmptyNestTravels said:

At the end of the day it’s a Springhill Suites so I would imagine there would not be glorious reviews of a mid tier travelers hotel. I can only confirm location is good in regards to proximity to many dining options. This place is also far enough away from the higher end and more desirable locations ($$$$) yet still close (less then 10 min) from the port. I don’t think you can go wrong here. 

8 minutes ago, tonyfsu21 said:

100% improvement from the Ramada. Location is good. 5 minutes from Dania Pointe for dining or the rustic inn. The port is 10 min away. I can’t comment on the actual hotel since I have never been inside but I drive by it often and it’s your standard issue Fairfield. 

Thank you.  I will comment on the hotel itself once I stay there on Sept. 16th.

• 2 weeks later...

I know there is a recent second thread going about the FLL area hotels but this one was first and the one I have been following.  I think I stated have been in the area for work and at a number of different hotels.  The Marriott Harbor Beach Resort & Spa is not one I am not familiar with, and really haven't seen much feedback.  Does anyone have anything they can share?  We found a decent rate so it is under consideration.  

4 hours ago, ScooterScott22 said:

I know there is a recent second thread going about the FLL area hotels but this one was first and the one I have been following.  I think I stated have been in the area for work and at a number of different hotels.  The Marriott Harbor Beach Resort & Spa is not one I am not familiar with, and really haven't seen much feedback.  Does anyone have anything they can share?  We found a decent rate so it is under consideration.  

We belong to the beach club at this resort and frequent it often. If you can get a decent rate I would advise you to stay there and enjoy the resort experience and close proximity to the port. 

On 7/28/2022 at 6:06 PM, tonyfsu21 said:

Good location for anything you need pre cruise. Dania Pointe adjacent to this hotel offering plenty of dining options. As for the hotel, I believe it’s somewhat new so you should be ok. 

Sorry, another question - is there a liquor store within walking distance?

12 minutes ago, Pooch said:

Ok on vacation, a 1-2 mile walk is walking distance!

It's hot in gross always in South Florida 😂

If you are just needing to get wine for the cruise there's a Publix a little more than a mile up the road. This one didn't have a liquor store but they sell beer and wine in grocery stores in Florida.  All of the liquor stores are a more complicated walk from that hotel.

Ok Publix is pretty far, ditto CVS and not sure about the ability to actually walk there.  I’ve found a BJs at the Oakwood Shopping center.  Google maps says it’s only .4 miles from the Springhill Suites although oddly that it would take 1.5 hours to walk there????  Is this doable?  Is it an area that one could walk?  Sidewalks for example.  Thanks all!