Ultimate Dining on the Oasis of the Seas - Tips?

I splurged on my upcoming cruise and got the Ultimate Dining package. This is only me 2nd cruise on RCL. (The first was in 2019).

The cruise planners seem to indicate most specialty places are not open for lunch on port days. It's Playmaker's, Johnny Rockets, and Portside BBQ. On sea days, Chops, Giovanni's, and Izumi sushi seem to be the three additional options. Are the lunch menus different than the dinner menus? I heard that Chops charges extra for some steaks. Is that true? The menu I downloaded from this site doesn't seem to indicate an upcharge except for maybe the lobster. Does that matter for the UDP? Are the coffees in Chops covered by the beverage package?

I've heard different things for the a la carte allowances. Is it $20 or $35? Is that per day or per seating? If I wanted to go to Izumi for sushi twice, is that allowance total or separate?

Biggest tip I can offer is... it's a lot of food.

The first time I did a UDP I made early dinner reservations.  On days with a lunch that quickly became a problem because I was still full from lunch when my early dinner reservation came around.  Mid-cruise I moved all my dinner reservations to latest possible.

So.  Much.  Food.  

Here is a blog post that might help:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2019/08/19/royal-caribbean-specialty-dining-packages-guide

Oasis is a great ship to give the dining plan a spin.  Make sure you take advantage of the package for lunch on boarding day! Playmakers is a good spot to eat and people watch as everyone gets onboard and starts exploring.

On 7/13/2022 at 7:03 PM, Sizzlechest said:

Are the lunch menus different than the dinner menus?

Only different in that they they are smaller, more limited menus that are missing a few items.

I heard that Chops charges extra for some steaks.

If you're eating in the main dining room you can order the Chops filet and that's an upcharge, but if you're eating at Chops, all of the steaks are included. The lobster does have an upcharge.

Are the coffees in Chops covered by the beverage package?

Yes. The Deluxe package will cover the spiked alcoholic coffee drinks and the espresso based coffee drinks. The Refreshment package covers the espresso based coffee drinks.

I've heard different things for the a la carte allowances. Is it $20 or $35? Is that per day or per seating? If I wanted to go to Izumi for sushi twice, is that allowance total or separate?

It is $20 at Playmakers and Portside BBQ and $35 at Izumi sushi. That is per SEATING. You get that allowance each time you visit.

On 7/15/2022 at 12:04 AM, AshleyDillo said:

Playmakers is a good spot to eat and people watch as everyone gets onboard and starts exploring.

This is our plan on our upcoming Oasis cruise, has anyone else done this? We hope to let the kiddos (there will be 5 of them on this one!) explore the Boardwalk while we decompress from travel/embarkation.