Prices of Specialty Dining

What are the prices like in specialty dining restaurants? Are they comparable to what you pay when you go out to eat at a similar restaurant at home? When you dine at a specialty restaurant, do they just bill it to your room? Do you tip the wait staff like you would when dining at home? Any examples of menu's (that include prices) at the specialty restaurants (specifically on Adventure of the Seas)?

Thanks!

58 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

You will find prices in your Cruise Planner. They are typically $25-35 per person per night. Menus can be accessed on the Royal Caribbean app (as well as on the Royal Caribbean website). 

So, there aren't individual prices for each dish? It's basically all you can eat for the one price?

If you have the app, you can look at the menu for your sailing. Or the sailing(s) before yours. Only Izumi's will have prices for a la carte dining, all the other restaurants will have one flat fee, which you can see in your cruise planner. 

The $25-35 pp per night is based on an unlimited dining package. Many of the specialty restaurants can be brought in the cruise planner for a discounted price; based off of the price onboard, which might also be discounted. Example: for my Sept Navigator sailing, Chops is $49.99+gratuity pp, which is $58.99 with gratuity, that can be more than a steak restaurant on land depending on where you live. The unlimited package is $177.99 or $210.03 with the gratuity, which is an average of $42 a day but since I can eat at multiple venues each day it averages about $21 a meal based on lunch and dinner. 

Restaurants on the ship are different, you pay one flat rate (either beforehand through the cruise planner, the first day onboard, or charge to your account after each dinner) and enjoy as much as you want. The ship charges 18% gratuity on food and beverages but this goes to all crew members. I chose to look at this as a surcharge/service fee and still tip the actual person who serves me. 

18 hours ago, travelislife said:

What are the prices like in specialty dining restaurants? Are they comparable to what you pay when you go out to eat at a similar restaurant at home? When you dine at a specialty restaurant, do they just bill it to your room? Do you tip the wait staff like you would when dining at home? Any examples of menu's (that include prices) at the specialty restaurants (specifically on Adventure of the Seas)?

Thanks!

You'll see that a specialty lunch is cheaper than dinner in most venues, and the menu is nearly the same (more than enough to fill you up).  After having a specialty lunch, we couldn't eat all of our dinner in the Main Dining Room!  The specialty meals do go on sale periodically.

On 7/13/2022 at 4:27 PM, travelislife said:

What are the prices like in specialty dining restaurants?

On my upcoming Oasis trip (your mileage may vary on Adventure, but onboard prices should be comparable)

• Chops Grille - $55/person  in Cruise Planner, $65/person onboard
  • Giovanni's Table - $42/person in Cruise Planner, $50/person onboard
  • Izumi Sushi - $29/person in Cruise Planner, $35/person onboard

Dining Packages for my Oasis trip on Cruise Planner

• Chops+1 - $84/person
  • 3-Night Dining - $102/person
  • Unlimited Dining - $208/person

Are they comparable to what you pay when you go out to eat at a similar restaurant at home?

For the quantity of food (app, entree, dessert), the "onboard" prices is what the wife and I would spend at home at a comparable restaurant. 

When you dine at a specialty restaurant, do they just bill it to your room?

Yes

Do you tip the wait staff like you would when dining at home?

Not sure if they add gratuity on the check or not. If not, you can add it to the check or pay cash.

Any examples of menu's (that include prices) at the specialty restaurants (specifically on Adventure of the Seas)?

Thanks!

If you check in the app for your sailing, restaurant pricing and menus are available. 

When it comes to pricing, my particular position isn't "How does this compare to pricing at a land based restaurant?" it's "Is the premium for specialty dining worth it compared to the included options in the main dining room?" and "Is the experience worth the required fee?" 

FYI, Izumi on Adventure has a paired down menu compared to the larger ships.

47 minutes ago, Rackham said:

If you check in the app for your sailing, restaurant pricing and menus are available. 

When it comes to pricing, my particular position isn't "How does this compare to pricing at a land based restaurant?" it's "Is the premium for specialty dining worth it compared to the included options in the main dining room?" and "Is the experience worth the required fee?" 

FYI, Izumi on Adventure has a paired down menu compared to the larger ships.

You're right, it looks like this is almost an "Izumi Express" option - Anthem has something similar. 

Here's an RCB post about Izumi on Adventure, with the reduced menu: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2018/02/12/first-look-menu-and-prices-izumi-restaurant-adventure-of-the-seas

• 4 months later...
On 7/18/2022 at 6:40 AM, MattG said:

On my upcoming Oasis trip (your mileage may vary on Adventure, but onboard prices should be comparable)

• Chops Grille - $55/person  in Cruise Planner, $65/person onboard
  • Giovanni's Table - $42/person in Cruise Planner, $50/person onboard
  • Izumi Sushi - $29/person in Cruise Planner, $35/person onboard

Dining Packages for my Oasis trip on Cruise Planner

• Chops+1 - $84/person
  • 3-Night Dining - $102/person
  • Unlimited Dining - $208/person

For the quantity of food (app, entree, dessert), the "onboard" prices is what the wife and I would spend at home at a comparable restaurant. 

Yes

Not sure if they add gratuity on the check or not. If not, you can add it to the check or pay cash.

For the restaurant price in Cruise Planner, Do I need to wait for online check in start to see the price?

and I just checked Oasis Chops only 90 seats, so is it will be really difficult to book a seat?  since buy dinning package can only make reservation when boarding.

5 hours ago, ecgz88 said:

For the restaurant price in Cruise Planner, Do I need to wait for online check in start to see the price?

As long as you have a reservation number, you can link your reservation to the Cruise Planner website (royalcaribbean.com/booked) and begin looking at dining venues and prices. 

5 hours ago, ecgz88 said:

and I just checked Oasis Chops only 90 seats, so is it will be really difficult to book a seat?  since buy dinning package can only make reservation when boarding.

Not difficult at all. We had a party of 9 people (4 adults, 5 kids) and were able to get a table to fit us all at the dining times we wanted each night. If you can get an early check-in time (say, before 12pm) and go directly to a specialty restaurant the moment you get onboard, you can make all your dining reservations at once. If you get a dining package, I strongly recommend planning out which restaurants to go to on which nights, and have that handy when you meet with the specialty dining host staff. If you have a 3-night dining package, I recommend looking at the MDR menu for nights you have a less-interesting menu, and for UDP I recommend hitting up each specialty restaurant at least once before going back for a second round. 

On 7/14/2022 at 7:22 AM, ChessE4 said:

You'll see that a specialty lunch is cheaper than dinner in most venues, and the menu is nearly the same (more than enough to fill you up).  After having a specialty lunch, we couldn't eat all of our dinner in the Main Dining Room!  The specialty meals do go on sale periodically.

I always reserve lunches instead of dinners when I don't have a dining package! $~20-25 instead of $50 per meal means I can have two specialty meals for the price of one. Plus it's a great way to break up a sea day. I would recommend this!

On 7/13/2022 at 9:27 PM, Ampurp85 said:

Restaurants on the ship are different, you pay one flat rate (either beforehand through the cruise planner, the first day onboard, or charge to your account after each dinner) and enjoy as much as you want.

So, with a Jamie's lunch (where I don't see any prices on its menu), I'm essentially treating it like MDR that I paid extra for in advance? Order extra starters, dessert, etc?

(sorry, color me pre-gold... 🤪)

16 hours ago, brgreens said:

So, with a Jamie's lunch (where I don't see any prices on its menu), I'm essentially treating it like MDR that I paid extra for in advance? Order extra starters, dessert, etc?

(sorry, color me pre-gold... 🤪)

Yes,  you can order extra apps.  You can order an entree and a pasta and also a couple desserts.  It's a fixed price cover charge venue. 

4 hours ago, Irene P said:

Please help to understand how to make reservations for lunch, interested to have a lunch at Izumi. Thank you 

You can buy Izumi lunch a la carte in the planner. If you purchased the UDP, first day you can make all your reservations, including lunch at Izumi.

If you can score the 3 night specialty dining package for $112/pp, that's not a bad deal considering Chops is about $55 by itself.

It's that price and once you sit down, you can order the entire menu if you want.  When we sailed on FOS in January for my 50th and my daughter's 16th birthdays...we each ate a couple shrimp cocktails each (okay, I might have had 3 or 4...LOL)..tried a couple entree and several sides.  It's a nice change from MDR and Windjammer and we have had TREMENDOUS service in Chops (at least on FOS the 2x we have sailed it).  Hoping for the same on SOS in February.