Solarium

Ok. So I'm currently 15 and heard the solarium was for people aged 16 year and over, going on a cruise coming up end of August to begin September I'm turning 16 just a month later and was wonder if I would be allowed or whether this was a super strict rule could someone let me know please?

Welcome to the message boards.

At your age it may depend if you look older or younger than your actual age.  A 16 yo that looked 14 and acted like a 12 yo would be under more scrutiny compared to a 15 yo who looked and acted like someone older.  

If you are running around and screaming you are more likely to be challenged.  If you are fitting in with the general demeanour of everyone else in the solarium you'll probably go unnoticed.    

My teenage twins (Boy/girl) were both asked a couple of times while we were with them when they were 16 (they did look younger).  They were asked to also share their Seapass card for verification.  All was fine and we enjoyed the Solarium but that was our experience.    

I have never seen anyone id'd in the solarium but with that said (as noted above) if you look/act like you belong you should be fine ... if you stand out chances of getting checked are higher.

Personally, age doesn't bother me, behavior does ... but i rarely get to be in charge of making the rules 😉

I've been on 3 cruises since 2020 and have never seen either the age limit in the solarium enforced, or the chair-hogging restriction enforced.  I have been surrounded by noisy children in the solarium twice, and watched chairs in "prime" areas empty of everything but towels for the whole time I sunbathed (from the back row....)  In the solarium, I just moved.  The saved chairs on the pool deck seemed rude and entitled but there are so many beautiful places to catch the sun and sea breezes that it wasn't worth getting upset about I guess.

I think it's more important to check the maturity level of far too many, so called adults.  As much as I prefer to cruise when kids are less likely to cruise, I'd much prefer to put up with kids than the out of control, so called adults.  I'd be much more receptive to share the Solarium with a well behaved 15 year old than those idiots yelling, screaming, yelling out obscenities, degrading people, looking for confrontation, and just plain obnoxious, so called adults.  I enjoy a drunken good time as much as anybody.  But, I don't upset the apple cart, step on others toes, try to ruin others good times.  

1 hour ago, APM said:

The real issue is there is no one to inform to have the rules enforced.  ITs nto the bar staffs job, its not he towel station guys job....  It should be every crew member's job to enforce rules and regulations, regardless of where they are stationed, today, tomorrow, anytime, on duty or off!

and it definitely shouldnt be another guests job.  Guests regulating guests is a recipe for disaster  That's for sure, no doubt.  And I don't get paid large amounts of money to be the ship's enforcer.  

Edited In:  16 year old folks are permitted to to traverse the Solarium to get from one side of the ship to the other and they are allowed to go into the Solarium Bistro.  I did see a lady confront a young lady once, not in a very friendly way, and the girl told the lady that she was coming from the restroom and going back into the Bistro with her family.  So, if you are a self appointed cop, be careful, you may just embarrass yourself.  I'd contact a crew member and let them deal with it.  

RE: chair hogs. There have been complaints made on Oasis to the attendants who sweep, etc.  Someone on staff has signs (or had them made) and they are attached to the "suspect chairs" about a removal  of items  in 30 minutes ....and it is followed through.  I think the problem could be 1-people have gotten away with this for so long they think it's ok. 2-no one reads the very small sign about vacant chairs 3- no one wants to speak up to anyone because they think nothing will be done.

Re: solarium and age-I've seen attendants inside the door and recall them telling people "this is for 16 and up".  Maybe it was a "one off" but I've seen it.

20 hours ago, Swar said:

I really have not seen much, if any, enforcement of the age limit in any solarium. Just have good manners and nobody I know would bother you. There have to be more interesting places to be though. 

I saw crew asking underage passengers to leave the solarium on Anthem in April.

19 hours ago, Moby Dick said:

I think it's more important to check the maturity level of far too many, so called adults.  As much as I prefer to cruise when kids are less likely to cruise, I'd much prefer to put up with kids than the out of control, so called adults. 

preach GIF by Shalita Grant