Canceling an American airlines flight.

BB1

I know you can cancel a Southwest flight up to 10 minutes before departure and get a flight  credit but I can't find how long before an American airlines flight you have to cancel and get a credit.  Any information would be helpful. 

1 hour ago, BB1 said:

I know you can cancel a Southwest flight up to 10 minutes before departure and get a flight  credit but I can't find how long before an American airlines flight you have to cancel and get a credit.  Any information would be helpful. 

Depends on the fare basis and class of service you booked. American has (for the most part) reverted to pre-pandemic policies on changes and cancelations.

14 minutes ago, KristiZ said:

If you're looking at your reservation online, you should be able to see a receipt that will tell you exactly what the fare rules are for your ticket. There is no blanket policy at American.

Wow, never thought of that. Just an fyi, it says you can cancel up until flight time. Thanks.

Depends on the type of ticket you booked.  If you booked a fully refundable ticket then it is easy as pie just cancel the ticket before they closeout the flight.  However if you have not purchased a fully refundable ticket American Airlines will charge you $200 dollars per ticket in cancellation fees.  

American like all other U.S. carriers dropped change fees which allows you to change your flight without incurring a change fee but they have re-instituted their pre-covid cancellation policy which charges a $200 dollar cancellation fee if you cancel your ticket outside of the 24 hour grace period the Federal Government gives all passengers.  If it has been more than 24 hours since your purchase your ticket then you will loose $200 dollars per ticket that you cancel.

1 hour ago, JasonOasis said:

Depends on the type of ticket you booked.  If you booked a fully refundable ticket then it is easy as pie just cancel the ticket before they closeout the flight.  However if you have not purchased a fully refundable ticket American Airlines will charge you $200 dollars per ticket in cancellation fees.  

American like all other U.S. carriers dropped change fees which allows you to change your flight without incurring a change fee but they have re-instituted their pre-covid cancellation policy which charges a $200 dollar cancellation fee if you cancel your ticket outside of the 24 hour grace period the Federal Government gives all passengers.  If it has been more than 24 hours since your purchase your ticket then you will loose $200 dollars per ticket that you cancel.

What happens if I change the flight at the last minute ro another flight several months in the future? This crazy confusing.

7 hours ago, BB1 said:

What happens if I change the flight at the last minute ro another flight several months in the future? This crazy confusing.

No change fee but you will have to pay the difference in the air fare if the fare is more expensive.  If the air fare is cheaper they will issue you a travel credit for the difference.

I agree it is confusing but that is why we have blogs, we can all help each other out.

23 hours ago, BB1 said:

So what your saying is change your ticket, never cancel it. 

No I'm not making a decision for you I'm just giving you the information.  

Which is if you cancel your ticket and you purchased a non-refundable ticket American Airlines will charge you $200 dollars per ticket and issue you a voucher for the difference assuming your ticket was more than $200 dollars.  However changing your date of travel to a later date is also an option and there are no change fees but you will have to pay the difference in the fare if the fare is more expensive than what you've already paid.